Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Could you help me for my serve?
I need to be more regular and increase my serve speed.

Thank you very much for you comments and suggestions.

best regards,

Johan

NB : my level is very low, 40 in France...

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Your serve motion looks fine.
Maybe you should train with a tennis coach if you can afford him of course and practice. There no other solution I think.

·
Registered
15,906 Posts
for regularity:
your ball toss looks very high, more than 2x the height of your body? the higher the toss, the faster it will drop which will make it harder to time. also if you're playing outdoor the toss is more likely to move, which will affect the consistency. if you look at the best, and most consistent serves on both tours, they don't really have super high tosses.

for pace:
one benefit of having a high toss is that you can catch the ball higher, get a sharper trajectory, and therefore hit the serve a lot harder. but you aren't really utilizing that part of the toss since you aren't getting that far off the ground. the best technique uses the whole body as a unit and it look to be mostly arm right now

overall, i think at the amateur level pace isn't as important unless you're able to consistently drop 100+ mph bombs, placement is much more effective

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for regularity:
your ball toss looks very high, more than 2x the height of your body? the higher the toss, the faster it will drop which will make it harder to time. also if you're playing outdoor the toss is more likely to move, which will affect the consistency. if you look at the best, and most consistent serves on both tours, they don't really have super high tosses.

for pace:
one benefit of having a high toss is that you can catch the ball higher, get a sharper trajectory, and therefore hit the serve a lot harder. but you aren't really utilizing that part of the toss since you aren't getting that far off the ground. the best technique uses the whole body as a unit and it look to be mostly arm right now

overall, i think at the amateur level pace isn't as important unless you're able to consistently drop 100+ mph bombs, placement is much more effective
Oh yes, I realize on the video a very high toss.
And effectively, my toss is not regular.
I will try to change, but I will have to change my rythm... and then lot of work.
I have to do that.

Just a question about "the best technique uses the whole body as a unit and it look to be mostly arm right now".
What I need to modify to use the whole body?

Thank you very much,

Johan

·
Registered
15,906 Posts
Oh yes, I realize on the video a very high toss.
And effectively, my toss is not regular.
I will try to change, but I will have to change my rythm... and then lot of work.
I have to do that.

Just a question about "the best technique uses the whole body as a unit and it look to be mostly arm right now".
What I need to modify to use the whole body?

Thank you very much,

Johan
for starters, i think you can get more explosive on the jump and launch yourself up towards the ball. from the video, it looks like you're already falling when you make contact with the ball. i would suggest watching the video of your favorite pro hitting a flat serve, and trying to copy what they do

·
Registered
16 Posts
yes @Potato is right with launching yourself up :) by for example going lower into your knees and/or doing a more rapid twist in the hips before hitting the ball.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Ball toss is OK. It is high, but within the range of acceptable. Plenty of pro players with high toss and excellent serve, Becker, Berdych, to name a couple.
Your main problem is with your legs. You transfer the weight to the left foot very early and leave the right one too far behind. Essentially, after trophy position all of your motion is as if you were doing it standing on one foot, and with just one leg pushing. This is the reason why you are falling forward (as was correctly mentioned by posters above) instead of jumping into the ball.
I believe you would be better off changing your footwork to pin-point stance, with the kind of movement you have. Or, if not comfortable with that, at least start with narrower platform stance and try to keep weight more on the backfoot for substantially longer.

Once this is sorted out, next thing to focus on would be shoulder rotation during backswing. It should be a bit more pronounced, if you want to add power. The opponent should see a bit of your back when you are in trophy position, not just your front shoulder. Maybe if you decide to experiment with feet stance, you should also try to make it more closed in preparation phase, i.e. move your right foot further to left behind your left foot. This would make your hips rotate back more, and as a result, allow to rotate shoulders some more.

And finally, there is visible tention in your forearm when the racquet goes up to the ball from behind your back. It starts to rise on edge (as it should), but then pronates too early - it does not look like a a free and smooth snap, but rather like you are trying to muscle the racquet in order to get the stringbed into position that you believe is correct to meet the ball. You should do some shadow strokes focusing on freely rising the racquet to the imaginary ball, while keeping it with leading edge as along as possible, as if you were going to hit the ball with the frame, and then allow it it turn naturally in the very last moment.

But being in your shoes, I would definitely start with weight distribution between the feet - this is the main deficiency IMHO
Good luck

·
Registered
15,906 Posts
Ball toss is OK. It is high, but within the range of acceptable. Plenty of pro players with high toss and excellent serve, Becker, Berdych, to name a couple.
Your main problem is with your legs. You transfer the weight to the left foot very early and leave the right one too far behind. Essentially, after trophy position all of your motion is as if you were doing it standing on one foot, and with just one leg pushing. This is the reason why you are falling forward (as was correctly mentioned by posters above) instead of jumping into the ball.
I believe you would be better off changing your footwork to pin-point stance, with the kind of movement you have. Or, if not comfortable with that, at least start with narrower platform stance and try to keep weight more on the backfoot for substantially longer.

Once this is sorted out, next thing to focus on would be shoulder rotation during backswing. It should be a bit more pronounced, if you want to add power. The opponent should see a bit of your back when you are in trophy position, not just your front shoulder. Maybe if you decide to experiment with feet stance, you should also try to make it more closed in preparation phase, i.e. move your right foot further to left behind your left foot. This would make your hips rotate back more, and as a result, allow to rotate shoulders some more.

And finally, there is visible tention in your forearm when the racquet goes up to the ball from behind your back. It starts to rise on edge (as it should), but then pronates too early - it does not look like a a free and smooth snap, but rather like you are trying to muscle the racquet in order to get the stringbed into position that you believe is correct to meet the ball. You should do some shadow strokes focusing on freely rising the racquet to the imaginary ball, while keeping it with leading edge as along as possible, as if you were going to hit the ball with the frame, and then allow it it turn naturally in the very last moment.

But being in your shoes, I would definitely start with weight distribution between the feet - this is the main deficiency IMHO
Good luck
good point with the turning. also applies to closed stance groundies as well. i think a good example i read once is if you're wearing a jersey with your name on the back, you want your opponent to see the first few letters of your name

1 - 9 of 9 Posts