Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is supposed to be rain on and off for most of the next two days not letting up until Friday afternoon. There are 14 men's matches yet to be played and if the weather report is right they will have to be played in two and a half days to meet their schedule, but there are 4 rounds to be completed and I doubt anyone will play twice on the same day so the earliest they could finish would be on Monday, and this is just for the men!!! The women have 9 matches and 3 rounds to be played(a couple women will have four rounds) So theirs wouldn't be completed until Monday. Then on top of that you have the men and women put together which could delay matches past Monday. Not to mention doubles and mixed doubles. We better hope the rain holds off or there could be a sticky situation in Flushing this weekend

P.S. By the way does anyone know policy about what to do in these situations?? How many days can they go over?? I know Wimby has gone to Monday before, but I assume every GS is different.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
This whole talk about a roof is typical lazy human nature. Try and prevent something bad from happening only after it has already happened once, even though you knew all along that it could happen. I can't wait til the Earth gets hit by a good-sized meteor. Not "planet-killer" size, because then nobody will be around to realize they shouldn't have procrastinated. Maybe just enough to wipe all human life off one or two continents and cause a massive climate change.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Hopefully they will get rid of that "Titantic Arrogance"(thinking a ship will never sink and not enough life boats) and finally start thinking about a new roof for next season or in 2005 because of the impending rain from the previous years.

·
Chionophile
40,207 Posts
disposablehero said:
This whole talk about a roof is typical lazy human nature. Try and prevent something bad from happening only after it has already happened once, even though you knew all along that it could happen. I can't wait til the Earth gets hit by a good-sized meteor. Not "planet-killer" size, because then nobody will be around to realize they shouldn't have procrastinated. Maybe just enough to wipe all human life off one or two continents and cause a massive climate change.
Speaking of which:

Asteroid may hit earth in 2014: British astronomers

September 03, 2003 08:38 IST

There is a 'slim' chance that a newly discovered asteroid -- 2003 QQ47 -- may hit Earth on March 21, 2014, British astronomers have said.

2003 QQ47 has a mass of around 2.6 billion tonnes and is 1.2 kilometres wide.

If the asteroid hits our planet, the impact would unleash force of 350,000 megatonnes, which is around eight million times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped over Hiroshima, Japan in 1945. On impact it would be travelling at 75,000 miles an hour.

The astronomers, who use the Torino scale to rate the chances of newly discovered asteroids and comets hitting the earth, classify the chances of the asteroid hitting the earth as 'an event meriting careful monitoring'.

But they are quick to point out the probability of such a collision was just one in 909,000.

The asteroid is around one-tenth of the size of the meteor that is believed to have wiped out dinosaurs on Earth 65 million years ago, said Kevin Yates, project manager of the near-Earth object information centre in Leicestershire central England.

"As additional observations are made over the coming months, and the uncertainties decrease, asteroid 2003 QQ47 is likely to drop down the Torino scale," Yates added.

Agencies

Source: http://www.rediff.com/news/2003/sep/03ast.htm

But yes I agree but in particular relating to global warming, conservation etc...

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
disposablehero said:
Oh yeah. That would be good. Death and mass starvation. Yup that's what we need all right. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
If the Open is cancelled will Serena somehow be blamed?

I know Richard is behind the forces of nature conspiring to prevent a Saturday Prime Time final and I am rooting for him since I have tickets to see Ringo Starr on Saturday Night.

"Let it rain, let it rain" - Eric Clapton (I hope its not Derek & the Dominoes or Jolly Roger will have my head) :p :p :p

In honor of Ringo and The Beatles who spawned him...

Rain
The Beatles
LENNON/McCartney (perhaps Ringo's finest drum work nearly Bonham-esque)

If the rain comes
they run and hide their heads
They might as well be dead
If the rain comes
If the rain comes

When the sun shines
they slip into the shade
and sip their lemonade
When the sun shines
When the sun shines

Rain, I don't mind
Shine, the weather's fine

I can show you
that when it starts to rain
everything's the same
I can show you
I can show you

Rain, I don't mind
Shine, the weather's fine

Can you hear me
that when it rains and shines
it's just a state of mind
Can you hear me
Can you hear me

Ps. Go Miss Manners keep it in the USA!!!:p

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
The person who stated that is British so there goes Wimbeldon 2014. The US Open will prevail. Americans know this.. lmao.

A mere Astroid or Meteor will not destroy the US of A. Just like the US Open has never needed a roof. lmao

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
i wonder whether they'll do it prime time for the women if they have to move it..

there is tons of football on on sunday.. and there is monday night football on monday.. lots of competition...

I wonder if this might spell the END of having the women's match in primetime. no williams. and now maybe a rain out.... it would be a big loss for the network if the saturday night match got rained out...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.