Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK we all know the stories about child stars having problems adjusting and growing up and living a real life. Many tend to have a troubled adulthood. Could Serena be going through this type of problem?

She has been playing tennis since a child, a demanding life as a kid and even more demanding since joining the tour and being a high-profile US athlete.

Probably feeling a lot of pressure to represent her roots and her community well, adding to the demands.

Has earned huge sums of money..... more than 99.9% of women her age.

Probably skipped a lot of school so could be behind others her age in terms of her education, and this could make her feel bad about herself in that way.

Had to bypass a lot of other things that most teenagers and young adults (college-age kids) tend to do growing up..... partying, boyfriends, etc. but seems to be trying to make up for it now.

Lot of stress always trying to stay in shape, win, win, win....

So maybe she is going through this stage of seemingly self-destructive behavior but it is sub-consciously designed to de-stress and take the pressure off her, let her be a bit more normal.......

What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,126 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Because she has a knee and ankle injury? :shrug: Its not like she's pulled a Capriati and been arrested.
What else is new.
 

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
Joined
·
30,466 Posts
drake3781 said:
OK we all know the stories about child stars having problems adjusting and growing up and living a real life. Many tend to have a troubled adulthood. Could Serena be going through this type of problem?

She has been playing tennis since a child, a demanding life as a kid and even more demanding since joining the tour and being a high-profile US athlete.

Probably feeling a lot of pressure to represent her roots and her community well, adding to the demands.

Has earned huge sums of money..... more than 99.9% of women her age.

Probably skipped a lot of school so could be behind others her age in terms of her education, and this could make her feel bad about herself in that way.

Had to bypass a lot of other things that most teenagers and young adults (college-age kids) tend to do growing up..... partying, boyfriends, etc. but seems to be trying to make up for it now.

Lot of stress always trying to stay in shape, win, win, win....

So maybe she is going through this stage of seemingly self-destructive behavior but it is sub-consciously designed to de-stress and take the pressure off her, let her be a bit more normal.......

What do you think?
Doesn't pretty much every successful tennis player go through the same thing? :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
eck said:
Do we really need another Serena-and-her-fitness thread?

Um, did you read it? It's not about her fitness, and I raise a unique point that is not being talked in other threads. There might be people who want to talk about her fitness or her "injury" then there will be people who be interested in this type of psychological/sociological view. That's what makes a community message board up, the variety.
 

·
x
Joined
·
34,531 Posts
OK then.
"Do we really need a thread about Serena-and-tons-of-other-speculations worries?"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,444 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Because she has a knee and ankle injury? :shrug: Its not like she's pulled a Capriati and been arrested.
Leave Jennifer out of this. Its not Jennifer's fault Serena is injured and overweight.
 
  • Like
Reactions: manu32

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,916 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Because she has a knee and ankle injury? :shrug: Its not like she's pulled a Capriati and been arrested.

even without capriati in the picture, serena is not burned out, she was really badly injured and maybe drifted away from her goals for awhile, but she's about to shut you the hell up:fiery:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,918 Posts
I'd be interested to hear her say what her goals in tennis now are. I mean, she's done it all, won it all, been number 1 and has her Serena slam. Martina Hingis admitted that one of her motivations for a comeback was to win RG, Venus also still has that gap (& the Aussie) on her CV, Justine's missing Wimbledon, and so on but I wonder what Serena's specific target would be.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andy T said:
I'd be interested to hear her say what her goals in tennis now are. I mean, she's done it all, won it all, been number 1 and has her Serena slam. Martina Hingis admitted that one of her motivations for a comeback was to win RG, Venus also still has that gap (& the Aussie) on her CV, Justine's missing Wimbledon, and so on but I wonder what Serena's specific target would be.
Completely agree.

I really do think both she and sis want to transition away from tennis and into professional celebrity-hood, but it must be a very tough decsion to give up tennis which they've had almost their entire life. And they really do need their ties to tennis to be successful celebrities, so they are in a bind.

Thus I can see this kind of melt-down happening... instead of making a decison you kind of melt down and the decison makes itself.

I would love a sports psychologist perspective.
 

·
.
Joined
·
49,001 Posts
MarJenAll20 said:
Leave Jennifer out of this. Its not Jennifer's fault Serena is injured and overweight.
Maybe not, the the analogy to Capriati was very relevant. Drakes post pretty much describes Capriati's life, down to the lack of education and self destructive behavior. And not Serena's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
I give serena her props for staying strong. I can't imagine feeling the need to keep reminding people what i have done and what i can do, when i already produced so much. I love u serena your the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
MarJenAll20 said:
Leave Jennifer out of this. Its not Jennifer's fault Serena is injured and overweight.
Man im so sick of the weight issue. How is serena overweight?? :confused: Im gay and i can c how fine she is. Overweight is like 5'3 280lbs. If u think she is overweight then u are sick in the head.
 

·
Serena's #1 Hater
Joined
·
19,697 Posts
joey1045 said:
Man im so sick of the weight issue. How is serena overweight?? :confused: Im gay and i can c how fine she is. Overweight is like 5'3 280lbs. If u think she is overweight then u are sick in the head.
For a world-class athlete, Serena is overweight. For almost any other profession, Serena would be in fabulous shape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,303 Posts
This thread is quite legit. When Hingis was out cause of the ankle injury, every commentator/critic pointed out how she may have suffered burn out and there was some truth in it. Obviously martina healed a fairly long while ago and it was only after she was fully rested that she seemed to have that hunger to com back. Even Justine's virus was put down to burn out. Is it any wonder that kim plans to quit next year!
Burning out seems to inflate injuries as well. Sometimes I wonder if lindsay is not going thru it, lately she seems to be runnning on empty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,004 Posts
I see what drake3871 points to. “Child star burnout” problem is what many young, successful tennis players experience.

However, I seriously do not believe this is what Serena is going through at the moment. She had injuries and just needed a break from the over-demanding tennis arena. She seems quite happy with her life off-court and will be back when she thinks she is ready.
There is no dramatic logic behind this case. :)

Every top tennis player might need a break every now and then; this can only secure more triumphs in the long run. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
Serena has Hollywooditis and tennis laziness.

She is quite capable of getting into shape and whipping the asses of every player on tour but she just doesn't want to. Maybe tennis has become boring for her, no glitz, glamour and red carpets. The uncanny thing is it's the only place she has ever won an award.

In Hollywod she gets a few meaningless roles and her face on tv or in the paper/tabloids but when she plays tennis she takes home serious metal and serious money. But maybe that is not want she wants.
 
  • Like
Reactions: drake3781
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top