Tennis Forum banner

Who would have won a hypothetical AO 2018 final between Wozniacki and Kerber?

• Caroline Wozniacki

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Angie Kerber

Votes: 26 61.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2018 AO semi final between Kerber and Halep was truly an epic between two of the games best counterpunchers. I'm curious as to whether Kerber would have had a decent shot at beating Wozniacki in the final (hypothetically). Would Kerber be sitting on 4 slams at the moment and Wozniacki 0, or the result most likely the same?
Wozniacki's defense was so strong, and she plays well against fellow counterpunchers, who may not have the weapons to hit through her.The H2H between the two finished at 7-8 in Kerber's favour, compared to 5-2 against Halep, in Wozniacki's favour.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Controversial, but imho Angie would have won. Angie's h2h with Caroline was better at that point than it ended up (I think 8-5?), and Angie in slam finals is no joke - especially at that AO.

Hsieh ruined Angie. Obviously Angie was able to thrash Keys (as she usually does), but you could see how much the Hsieh match took out of her. She had also gotten to the final of the Hopman Cup and won Sydney, and then beat Sharapova in that overly hyped R3. She totally ran out of gas after Hsieh. She was absolutely exhausted when she stepped on the court against Simona. Those first 5 games looked like a zombie had replaced Angie on court. Halep kind of choked for the rest of the match and only managed to pull away after saving two match points.

I always thought the 2018 AO would be the most heartbreaking moment of Angie's career (yes, worse than the Olympics), but in hindsight it was a blessing - it made her hungrier for clay and Wimbledon.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Angie is not a good match-up for Caroline at their best. Caroline probably had the best endurance on the tour at the time but Angie has kill shots and guts in big moments.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Also, good question!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
She would have lost.

She was already dead tired and on her last legs vs. Halep in the SF and Wozniacki would have made it even worse. Also, Wozniacki and Kerber played twice in 2018 - Wozniacki outlasted Kerber both times.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Kerber played a lot at the start of 2018, I don't think she would've had energy left to pull it off against Wozniacki, just like Simona.

·
Registered
31,832 Posts
It is an interesting question. A fresh Kerber would have won no problem, but an exhausted one would have had a very hard time. On the other hand, Wozniacki was not exactly amazing and only won the final by pushing when an exhausted, and scared, Halep led by a break in the third set but was unable to put it away.

Reactions: Conjoshruk

·
Premium Member
40,684 Posts
Well, Wozniacki defeated Kerber a few weeks later...

Obviously, Halep and Wozniacki were exhausted in that final, and none played their best. Kerber would have probably been tired too after her SF. So it's hard to say. When Kerber is tired and can't stay strong on her knees, she's not that good. In my opinion, Woz, Halep and Kerber were at the same level in that AO.

·
Registered
31,321 Posts
Angie enjoyed playing Woz for most of her career but in 2018, Woz was stronger physically and outlasted her both times they played even though Angie played two very good first sets in both matches. Angie also became very chokerish against defenders in 2018 + her struggles in finals as a fav.

Also, what is it with all these hypothetical Angie questions?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
She would have lost.

She was already dead tired and on her last legs vs. Halep in the SF and Wozniacki would have made it even worse. Also, Wozniacki and Kerber played twice in 2018 - Wozniacki outlasted Kerber both times.
I love how people just look past this FACT. They played each other, and both times, Wozniacki came out the winner. So I doubt Angie would have defeated Wozniacki in the final. Wozniacki to me, has the better return, Backhand and serve to me, Wozniacki also mixes up her shots more with the puffballs and slices. Fh obviously Angie, about defense is about the same. Wozniacki also is like the fittest player on tour.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Wozniacki had three advantages going into the AO final.

(1) She was playing a tired opponent.

(2) She was playing an opponent who had never won a grand slam final.

(3) She was playing an opponent who had leads in grand slam finals and lost.

With Kerber, the only advantage was number one. I would put my money on Angie.

Everything had to break just right for Wozniacki to get over the line.

An imploding Jana Fett; an unranked, weak semifinal opponent (Mertens); and a tired and negative Simona Halep in the final.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Controversial, but imho Angie would have won. Angie's h2h with Caroline was better at that point than it ended up (I think 8-5?), and Angie in slam finals is no joke - especially at that AO.

Hsieh ruined Angie. Obviously Angie was able to thrash Keys (as she usually does), but you could see how much the Hsieh match took out of her. She had also gotten to the final of the Hopman Cup and won Sydney, and then beat Sharapova in that overly hyped R3. She totally ran out of gas after Hsieh. She was absolutely exhausted when she stepped on the court against Simona. Those first 5 games looked like a zombie had replaced Angie on court. Halep kind of choked for the rest of the match and only managed to pull away after saving two match points.

I always thought the 2018 AO would be the most heartbreaking moment of Angie's career (yes, worse than the Olympics), but in hindsight it was a blessing - it made her hungrier for clay and Wimbledon.
Is that why 2 of her 3 slam finals have been close 3 setters that she was close to losing ? Let's calm down on the hype.

·
Registered
114,058 Posts
I was enjoying that 2nd semi. Halep & Kerber is usually a good match
I was pretty confident Wozniacki would be tough in the final against either, and it was a great final. Halep could have 4 majors now with some luck

Reactions: Gabriel_Hrnandz

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

Wozniacki was playing some of the best tennis of her career having just won the YEC and went 2-0 against Kerber in 2018, so that's a strange supposition. Also not buying that one of the tour's fittest players was "ruined" by a singular 3-set match on her otherwise easy path to the semis - especially as you point out that she thrashed Keys in the quarters after the match that was meant to ruin her. Her opponent Halep spent more hours on court on her way to playing Kerber - especially a very draining match against Lauren Davis where every point was so physical. I saw Kerber's match against Halep and she was switched on, but Halep was the more aggressive player (as she always is against Kerber) whose greater risks paid off late in the match.

·
Registered
114,058 Posts
Wozniacki might have played her best tennis winning the 2017 YEC. She was good then, retook #1 in 2018. First time she had it was 2010

Reactions: Hanan Ubis

·
Registered
18,426 Posts
I think at this point of her career, Angie has become rather impotent against counterpunchers. This was an odd trend that started to pick up post 2016. I don't know if she's become impatient against them. But, for instance, she hasn't beaten Svitolina or Wozniacki since 2016.

However, a slam final is a very different scenario. I think that after 2017, Angie was really fired up to get back to the top. So I honestly wouldn't be so sure that she would have lost. I think the reason Simona lost to Caroline was because she folded. We can say she was exhausted, but her mentality was what let her down. I just don't think see that happening to Angie Kerber in the final of a slam.

I think it could have gone either way. Interestingly enough, Angie and Caro only played one slam match: the 2016 USO SF.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I think at this point of her career, Angie has become rather impotent against counterpunchers. This was an odd trend that started to pick up post 2016. I don't know if she's become impatient against them. But, for instance, she hasn't beaten Svitolina or Wozniacki since 2016.

However, a slam final is a very different scenario. I think that after 2017, Angie was really fired up to get back to the top. So I honestly wouldn't be so sure that she would have lost. I think the reason Simona lost to Caroline was because she folded. We can say she was exhausted, but her mentality was what let her down. I just don't think see that happening to Angie Kerber in the final of a slam.

I think it could have gone either way. Interestingly enough, Angie and Caro only played one slam match: the 2016 USO SF.
Even in 2016 Wozniacki was inconsistent with loss in form and injuries.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I saw Kerber's match against Halep and she was switched on, but Halep was the more aggressive player (as she always is against Kerber) whose greater risks paid off late in the match.
Eh... I doubt you have watched all of their matches as I did, because then you wouldn't make this statement. It's true that Simona was way more aggressive at the AO 18, but - apart from that - they are basically evenly matched in terms of aggressiveness during their rivalry.
I'm not saying that the amounts of winners and unforced errors always give an accurate answer to the question who was more aggressive in a certain match, but - as I said - I've watched all of these matches and the total numbers give a pretty good image imo:

To the question of the thread:
I also think that Woz would have outlasted Angie in the final. At least that's what I tell myself to not be pissed about the outcome of the SF 😅

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Eh... I doubt you have watched all of their matches as I did, because then you wouldn't make this statement. It's true that Simona was way more aggressive at the AO 18, but - apart from that - they are basically evenly matched in terms of aggressiveness during their rivalry.
I'm not saying that the amounts of winners and unforced errors always give an accurate answer to the question who was more aggressive in a certain match, but - as I said - I've watched all of these matches and the total numbers give a pretty good image imo:

View attachment 178545

To the question of the thread:
I also think that Woz would have outlasted Angie in the final. At least that's what I tell myself to not be pissed about the outcome of the SF 😅
I've seen like 3 Halep-Kerber matches, including that Australian Open, and always found Halep the aggressor. It's the same dynamic when Halep plays Wozniacki or Svitolina (2 players she often lost to) and she can't hit through them and they outmaneuver her. It's not just a question of who hit more winners. You can hit more winners than your opponent while counter-punching. That's extremely common if you watch Djokovic's matches for example. It's about the tactical approach and offensive mindset.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts