Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite her results on clay this season. Venus has won Wimbledon 3 times and is of course her strongest surface. So if it's allowed that she gets bumped up to one of the top 16 seeds, should she be?

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
I suspect she will coz wimbleon generally do that.and non of the top 16 players complain.

·
Registered
8,863 Posts
well - that would depend.
if you base the bumping on how to help a player get her groove back ASAP, because the big girls can whack her if it's too early - than i guess the organisers would like to do that.
if on the other hand, you do believe in your own statement that she is an undisputable grass queen on any day of the year, than why not let her smack some top seeds early?

don't bump her. in Venus' case - it won't help her any bit. she's the type of fighting spirit over gradual building of form anyway, so why try and create an easier path for her by force?

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
I don't think she will sadly, but she should.

I hope she gets a 10-16 seed, I think that would be fair. I just don't feel them doing it for her this year though, hope my feeling is wrong!!!

·
Registered
8,693 Posts
well - that would depend.
if you base the bumping on how to help a player get her groove back ASAP, because the big girls can whack her if it's too early - than i guess the organisers would like to do that.
if on the other hand, you do believe in your own statement that she is an undisputable grass queen on any day of the year, than why not let her smack some top seeds early?

don't bump her. in Venus' case - it won't help her any bit. she's the type of fighting spirit over gradual building of form anyway, so why try and create an easier path for her by force?
Well, it would probably only mean meeting a top seed in the 4th rd as opposed to the 3rd, which I believe would help her, as it would be another match to get her game together.

But if she is playing as she should and can on grass, she would win regardless. I know it's a bold statement, I just can't see anyone in the current game beating her at Wimbledon if she is serving with confidence.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
She should be pushed to top 16 on grass cuzz she's much better on grass than where she's ranked at the moment. But I don't think she'll be pushed up the rankings that much

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i read that the ATP boosts a player's seeding by their past two results. They times each of the last two year's results by a certain amount to determine a seeding.

So even though she won in 05, i guess her 06 3rd round loss wouldn't be enough to boost her up. Assuming this is the case with the women's seedings as well.

Personally, i don't think it's fair to her or a big named player to have to meet in the third round. The fourth round is at least a little bit fairer.

·
Registered
25,920 Posts
Personally, i don't think it's fair to her or a big named player to have to meet in the third round. The fourth round is at least a little bit fairer.
how is it not fair? venus isn't a top player. she's one of the middle pack now, almost a journeywoman. big named players play mediocre players in the first week of slams.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
she might be 'bumped' up to a top 16 seeding... although i doubt she will be because her ranking will be well outside the top by wimbledon i think... if none of the others complain then they should

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
I believe she should. She might not the the player she used to be on clay and maybe hard, but her serve alone makes her a force on grass. It's not just fair to her but also to her opponents - nobody of the top seeds should be in danger of having to play Venus Williams in round 3.

I'd seed her #16 and that's it then.

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how is it not fair? venus isn't a top player. she's one of the middle pack now, almost a journeywoman. big named players play mediocre players in the first week of slams.
you're calling Venus mediocre? :cuckoo:

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Could she? Yes.
Should she? No.

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
119,559 Posts
She shouldn't. There are more deserving players, who had better results over the year.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts