Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, Polish commentators went with Woźniacka all the time after she gave the permission to pronounce it like that on Polish TV. Pronouncing her name as Wozniacki or the dreaded English "Wozniaki" would be a travesty since the name is purely Polish to begin with ;)
Actually when I first heard English versions of "Woźniacka" and "Lisicki" I was wondering "who the f*** are these girls, I don't know them" but in Poland it's the other way around I think. If someone has polish roots even in 3rd generation he/she's Polish to media and you can't convince them otherwise. Kerber was always called Andżelika and not Angelique and Woźniacka was always Karolina and not Caroline. Even footballers: Lucas Podolski was called Łukasz and Miroslav Klose was always Mirosław and during today's mixed doubles they were referring to Desirae Krawczyk as half-polish. So yep, every country has it's own way of pushing it's language everywhere.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
This thread is reminding me of an anecdote about a Swiss computer scientist named Niklaus Wirth.
A quote attributed to him is, "You may call me by my name, Wirth, or by my value, Worth" because he thought it sounded like "Nickles Worth" whenever Americans said his name.

It's actually a really clever quip because there's a secondary meaning related to computer science.
"Call by name" and "call by value" are two strategies for passing data to subroutines.
(Basically it's the difference between having someone's telephone number, and conjuring up a clone when you want to talk to them.)

·
Rise up from ignorance
18,598 Posts
Actually when I first heard English versions of "Woźniacka" and "Lisicki" I was wondering "who the f*** are these girls, I don't know them" but in Poland it's the other way around I think. If someone has polish roots even in 3rd generation he/she's Polish to media and you can't convince them otherwise. Kerber was always called Andżelika and not Angelique and Woźniacka was always Karolina and not Caroline. Even footballers: Lucas Podolski was called Łukasz and Miroslav Klose was always Mirosław and during today's mixed doubles they were referring to Desirae Krawczyk as half-polish. So yep, every country has it's own way of pushing it's language everywhere.
It would be ridiculous if Polish commentators tried to pronounce Krawczyk's name any different than... ahem... Krawczyk :ROFLMAO: They can't possibly pronounce it Krałczik regardless of the flag next to her name?

Lisicki actually introduced herself as 'Sabina' during WTA Katowice in 2013 (in some very sketchy Polish but she gave it a try nonetherless).

Reactions: Perun

·
Blighted and solo
44,036 Posts
You should do her opponent in the Final as well.. The guy I saw live-calling the match on YouTube was not doing a good job lmao

·
Blighted and solo
44,036 Posts
If she wants it to be pronounced correctly she should've used phonetic spelling and not silent letters.
LOL some of the decisions that were made for transliterating Cyrillic are, what's the word... QUESTIONABLE lmao.

I taught myself the Russian Cyrillic alphabet two or so years ago and perhaps the most frustrating character is the ë. It is usually just transliterated as e, but it's pronounced more like "yo".. This is actually a character in Vera Zvonarëva's last name, so of course it's been mispronounced her entire career. But she apparently doesn't seem to mind lmao.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
How do you pronounce it?

Because it is Wooster. That is how it is pronounced. End of
Guess what: Today is your lucky day.

I just came back from a wine bottling, and the curator there was from Liverpool, so I asked him the question straight up. His answer: "Woster".

So you were more correct, but on the other hand he was speaking with a thick scouse accent so who knows how he actually said it.

·
Blighted and solo
44,036 Posts
Ever since I bothered to learn how to pronounce Russian names correctly, I'm always worried I'll sound pretentious (to native English speakers anyway) but then I was like FUCK IT lol. I think the Russian athletes I follow would appreciate the effort I've made in trying to learn their names as accurately as possible.

·
Blighted and solo
44,036 Posts
I actually only learned to properly pronounce the Czech city Olomouc like last month. :D It really shouldn't have taken me so long considering its history as a bit of a holy city in the history of gymnastics (an incredibly special and rare competition took place there).

Reactions: PamShriver

·
Registered
10,424 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Some players give up.

Danish tennis player Vozh-nya-tska got tired of correcting so many people that she let go of it and allowed her official pronunciation to become Woz-knee-ah-kee

close enough ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Her names not hard to pronounce. An English speaker should have no issues, it’s names like muchova that are butchered/

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yeah, Lucie's name is pronounced by a native speaker at 3s in the video below.
It's nothing like how it's commonly pronounced in English because the "squigglies" matter, lol.
The Brits are infamous for not learning foreign languages, and while I can say a few words in French and Spanish, there is more chance of me bungee jumping naked off the top of Mount Everest than EVER being able to learn a smattering of Czech!

·
Rise up from ignorance
18,598 Posts
@WhistleCleaner It' basically Zvonarova not Zvonareva like English speakers pronounce it. Same goes for Rublev where "o" should be pronounced instead of "e".

Vera's name is pronounced at 0:07.

·
Registered
14,027 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
@WhistleCleaner It' basically Zvonarova not Zvonareva like English speakers pronounce it. Same goes for Rublev where "o" should be pronounced instead of "e".

Vera's name is pronounced at 0:07.

Thank you. Yes, I have been getting it wrong for years!

Despite what people may think, Eastern European names are NOT easy for Brits! We are hopeless at languages. My mother even pronounces buffet with the t on the end!

61 - 80 of 181 Posts