Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeing as how Nastya is now a GS finalist, maybe English speakers (including most commentators) could finally stop butchering her name (it's neither rocket science, nor "Henin" type difficulty).

RIGHT: Pav-loo-CHEN-ko-va

WRONG: Pav-lee-yoo-chen-KOVA

Notice that the "y" in "Pavlyuchenkova" is silent... it is unpronounceable for English speakers, adds no additional syllable, and should be ignored.

·
*Sesil*
20,724 Posts
It’s handy the WTA has added the voice notes on players profiles cause Slavic names have been butchered for hearts by commentators.

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
It',s so annoying that after all these years many commentators still prononcing nadal's first name right. How hard it would be? Rafa el not rafeeyel like many commentatotors still pronouncing it.

When they called his nick name is rafa, but when theyare trying the full first name many still pronuncing it wrong. How dissrespectful (n)(n)(n)

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Honestly, I try to pronounce the names in the correct way, but a lot of people are simply not able to do it, and it's very often unnatural in the language they are speaking. I doubt anyone here pronounces all foreign names correctly, so complaining like this is a tad silly for me.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
By nature most English speakers want to do too much when they pronounce the names whereas they pronounced lazier or simpler than you think. Its alot like how Australian cities to non Australians get overpronounced so Brisbane is BRIS-BANE or Canberra is CAN-BEAR-AH when they are really pronounced BRIS-BIN and CAN-BURAH

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Growing up it look me a lot of practice to pronounce names like Navratilova and Mandlikova, so I'm actually quite good at it now. Eastern European names no longer scare me.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
By nature most English speakers want to do too much when they pronounce the names whereas they pronounced lazier or simpler than you think. Its alot like how Australian cities to non Australians get overpronounced so Brisbane is BRIS-BANE or Canberra is CAN-BEAR-AH when they are really pronounced BRIS-BIN and CAN-BURAH
Same thing everywhere else. Multi-syllabic place names get truncated through frequent use and dialect. In England Worcestershire has become "Worsht-shir". In Canada Toronto is rapidly becoming "Tronna".

·
Registered
251 Posts
Same thing everywhere else. Multi-syllabic place names get truncated through frequent use and dialect. In England Worcestershire has become "Worsht-shir". In Canada Toronto is rapidly becoming "Tronna".
Except the correct pronunciation of Worcestershire is "WOUH-STER"..... You couldn't get it that wrong by truncating it unless you were wildly wrong to begin with (let me guess, you say "WOR-SESS-TER-SHUR")

·
Rise up from ignorance
18,639 Posts
A couple of years ago, in a fun video, the WTA asked several players how to spell Pav's name.
Only one spelled her name correctly. Most quit after P-A-V.
Lucie Safarova's name would be butchered by all of them due to the Czech digraphs that are usually ignored in English translation. Pavlyuchenkova's name is way easier to pronounce despite being much longer.

Honorable mention to Olga Barabanschikova here :p

I'm shocked more English speakers don't butcher Kvitova's name as Key-vitova. Never heard it spelled like that on ES during all those years.

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Except the correct pronunciation of Worcestershire is "WOUH-STER"..... You couldn't get it that wrong by truncating it unless you were wildly wrong to begin with (let me guess, you say "WOR-SESS-TER-SHUR")
I have a friend from there. That is literally how it sounds to me. Don't blame me because you can't pronounce things properly.

English is the only language that needs an English-to-English-to-English translator.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have a friend from there. That is literally how it sounds to me. Don't blame me because you can't pronounce things properly.

English is the only language that needs an English-to-English-to-English translator.
Dude, I'm British, I know how to pronounce Worcestershire. Get off your high horse you fake American

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Dude, I'm British, I know how to pronounce Worcestershire. Get off your high horse you fake American
I'm sure you do -- where you're from.

Britain: The land of 500 accents per Guy Ritchie movie. It's like you've just given up on the language having any rules at all.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts