Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Come on men couldn't you find anything bette to do even at home than watching shitty propaganda on netflix?
I only watch old movies available on the platform that I didn’t have the chance to watch before.
Never cared about the politically charged Netflix original content.
Don’t worry, I know the background of what I watch.

Do you have any recommendations for indoor activities aside from watching TV and reading?

·
Administrator
65,047 Posts
I only watch old movies available on the platform that I didn’t have the chance to watch before.
Never cared about the politically charged Netflix original content.
Don’t worry, I know the background of what I watch.

Do you have any recommendations for indoor activities aside from watching TV and reading?

Not sure if you're into music but I've been doing a Best Song Game game for 6 years on here - latest two games are here (basically the same format as the Eurovision) you and anyone else welcome to join :-

The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 317 - Pizzazz! - Nominate!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The TF Pick The Best Song Game – Game 318 - A Song For Self-Isolation - Nominate!!!!

·
Registered
29,868 Posts
Thanks - he’s only taking paracetamol regularly to help with the throat pain and body aches. They said there’s nothing we can give for the cough - he has to ride through it. Easier said than done of course. The cough is so persistent and debilitating and he can’t even speak a full sentence as it takes up too much energy. I’m giving him lots of room temperature water, warm drinks and vitamin C and multivitamins. I feel otherwise helpless!
Maybe I had a similar situation back in 2015, I couldn't speak or eat normally because of the coughing fits. It started with a common cold. I did end up at ER once. Doctors couldn't do anything about it. Apparently there was nothing wrong with lungs. In the end it just disappeared after two months. I put a lot of effort into holding back and try not to cough.

Some people say the coughing fits could be due to acid reflux, which is something I never thought about at the time. Have you thought abouy it? The coughing did get worse after eating though, but I still don't know what really caused it.

·
Registered
19,520 Posts
I've had a really bad case of pharyngitis where I literally could not get a word out for two weeks, my throat was that bad and I couldn't make my vocal cords produce words even if I wanted to. That was the worst I've had in the past. My voice was so different for at least a month too afterwards.

Coughing fits must be a nightmare.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I just started a new job this week at a research institute in eastern Sydney and they gave me an induction and specified that employees would most likely be encouraged to work from home. They trialled it from Thursday. I came in on Thursday and Friday but that was under "after hours access" mode and I arrived later than I normally would to avoid peak hour. I will be working from home for the next two weeks, maybe one day I will pop in but for the most part on site stuff is off. Research wise, this virus has made life hard. All training has been cancelled for the next few months. And those doing animal research have effectively been forced to cull their animals (mice) by 50% to meet the reduced staff support in storage. This will definitely set back some research because it takes time to develop these animals. That said my salary-paid job is secure (in terms of expected employment), I will be doing a lot of reading during the period instead of any wetlab based activities. I was also supposed to help present to upcoming students at a meet and greet seminar to encourage them towards research, but that night has been cancelled.

Another big step is the university has closed all in-person classes! That is, all tuition is to be delivered online (and I assume end term exams will also be removed and replaced with some other form of assessment that can be done remotely). This doesn't affect me but I know it will be hard on both staff and students alike who have to make major adjustments.

As usual Aussies have seen shortages of some key items. I have tried to hunt down toilet paper at the local supermarkets (Coles/Woolworths) and found the shelves to be empty, even coming in at 8.15am. They have made a queue for the elderly to get in first, and once I did see people buying the stuff but by the time I got down there it was all gone. Some chemists have been selling individual rolls as opposed to bulk. I bought two of those yesterday. We haven't run out at home (yet!) but we haven't bought any for over 2 weeks.

Australians have been encouraged to practise social distancing as well. Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison introduced a 100 person indoor gathering limit in "non-essential" areas, but yesterday, he stretched this further by saying that each person must have 4 square metres of space per person! (i.e. in a 100 sqm room, you can have max 25 people). Initially, some church services were simply going to be reduced in capacity but have now been cancelled for good.
It's lucky that you secured the job before this happened. What's your area of study if you don't mind me asking? Does it affect your research? Did you get to make a presentation to the newbies online instead?

Higher education is such a huge export industry for Australia that COVID-19 has freaked people out and may turn the whole industry on its head. Maybe this would help to change the "publish or perish" attitude to a more sustainable model in future.

·
Registered
19,520 Posts
It's lucky that you secured the job before this happened. What's your area of study if you don't mind me asking? Does it affect your research? Did you get to make a presentation to the newbies online instead?

Higher education is such a huge export industry for Australia that COVID-19 has freaked people out and may turn the whole industry on its head. Maybe this would help to change the "publish or perish" attitude to a more sustainable model in future.
Oh VERY lucky. I sent my eventual supervisor an email the second week of February to ask about a potential position (was not official open at the time) and had an informal interview with her the week after. I was thinking of deferring as well to think about some alternative options more related to my skill area. I ended up just sticking with it in the end because I liked her personality and demeanor. She also won some major grants prior so she was keen on getting a postdoc. The research area is diabetes and metabolism research (vs ageing and dementia which I focused on during my PhD). She interviewed my referees and a week later I got the offer (this was like early March). I started just last week as I mentioned, and the institute talked of working from home. And no we didn't follow up on it, but she posted a poster online.

Only big thing is I can't get any hands on training for animal work during this period, but she has made me get acquainted with the literature and wants me to help her finalise some papers and polish grants, something that can be done outside of the lab. It is possible the grant rounds may be cancelled and redistributed to other schemes instead. Of course the climate is hitting some research heads hard, especially those who have a big team. My supervisor's team is just getting started so some of the stress is alleviated. Some of her colleagues and the HR department were a little surprised she offered me the position considering my relative lack of experience, when in the past, she rejected a candidate who had far better technical skills and a very impressive CV. It turned out that person's referees (their PhD supervisor and postdoc supervisor) both gave negative reviews over the phone. Apparently, that person could get stuff done and was very bright, but did not have very good working relationships with their superiors (they felt bullied by that person!). Therefore my supervisor ended up not conducting further interviews until I emailed her, and did not even test me further like she did the other candidates; she just trusted that I would be ok and able to learn. So a bit of serendipity in timing to get a job for sure!

One of her students was supposed to start honours but was stuck in Wuhan actually, hence deferred study! We are going to do a Zoom meeting with him and the others to keep everybody in the loop.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
Reading, listening to music and workout, all I can think...

And bottle of whiskey+concert on youtube every friday...

I don't watch movies, don't watch TV, don't play video games... Don't have facebook, twitter, instagram etc., so it's been a month since I last was talking to my friends... But it's been yesterday since I talked with my brother, since he is the only person I'm allowed to contact, and I'm the only person he's allowed to contact...

Lol, ain't life grand???

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Reading, listening to music and workout, all I can think...

And bottle of whiskey+concert on youtube every friday...

I don't watch movies, don't watch TV, don't play video games... Don't have facebook, twitter, instagram etc., so it's been a month since I last was talking to my friends... But it's been yesterday since I talked with my brother, since he is the only person I'm allowed to contact, and I'm the only person he's allowed to contact...

Lol, ain't life grand???
Alcohol while living with two devout Muslim parents in Saudi Arabia?
Maybe in another life :LOL:
Music is always essential but since I'm not driving long distance to work and staying home all the time I'm listening to less music and made a list of old movies to watch just to kill time.
Boredom can make anyone go crazy but I've practicing social distancing for a long time and got used to it.
Staying home is not the problem but thinking about the future during lockdown is the hard part.
Actually my mobile showed that the screen time increased by more than 50%!
I guess I have to stop checking Twitter and other sources for pandemic updates because it's making me anxious but sometimes you can't ignore the news.
Worrying times indeed.

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
Thanks - I try to be a good husband! Living through this experience makes me so worried for all those who are frail and/or elderly who might not have support networks. Every life is of equal value.
How is your partner?

·
Registered
19,520 Posts
Alcohol while living with two devout Muslim parents in Saudi Arabia?
Maybe in another life :LOL:
Music is always essential but since I'm not driving long distance to work and staying home all the time I'm listening to less music and made a list of old movies to watch just to kill time.
Boredom can make anyone go crazy but I've practicing social distancing for a long time and got used to it.
Staying home is not the problem but thinking about the future during lockdown is the hard part.
Actually my mobile showed that the screen time increased by more than 50%!
I guess I have to stop checking Twitter and other sources for pandemic updates because it's making me anxious but sometimes you can't ignore the news.
Worrying times indeed.
  • board games (if you have someone at home to play with, that is).
  • puzzles/lego (tap back into some childhood now)
  • dating without any actual dating
  • learn to cook something new/different, or maybe a new language
  • get good sleep
  • home workout
http://instagr.am/p/B-B1OQrppcC/

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Oh VERY lucky. I sent my eventual supervisor an email the second week of February to ask about a potential position (was not official open at the time) and had an informal interview with her the week after. I was thinking of deferring as well to think about some alternative options more related to my skill area. I ended up just sticking with it in the end because I liked her personality and demeanor. She also won some major grants prior so she was keen on getting a postdoc. The research area is diabetes and metabolism research (vs ageing and dementia which I focused on during my PhD). She interviewed my referees and a week later I got the offer (this was like early March). I started just last week as I mentioned, and the institute talked of working from home. And no we didn't follow up on it, but she posted a poster online.

Only big thing is I can't get any hands on training for animal work during this period, but she has made me get acquainted with the literature and wants me to help her finalise some papers and polish grants, something that can be done outside of the lab. It is possible the grant rounds may be cancelled and redistributed to other schemes instead. Of course the climate is hitting some research heads hard, especially those who have a big team. My supervisor's team is just getting started so some of the stress is alleviated. Some of her colleagues and the HR department were a little surprised she offered me the position considering my relative lack of experience, when in the past, she rejected a candidate who had far better technical skills and a very impressive CV. It turned out that person's referees (their PhD supervisor and postdoc supervisor) both gave negative reviews over the phone. Apparently, that person could get stuff done and was very bright, but did not have very good working relationships with their superiors (they felt bullied by that person!). Therefore my supervisor ended up not conducting further interviews until I emailed her, and did not even test me further like she did the other candidates; she just trusted that I would be ok and able to learn. So a bit of serendipity in timing to get a job for sure!

One of her students was supposed to start honours but was stuck in Wuhan actually, hence deferred study! We are going to do a Zoom meeting with him and the others to keep everybody in the loop.
Supervisors can make or break the research experience. I've heard so many nightmare stories and I'm happy for you that you found someone you click with. And that other candidate must've been something... usually the bullying is done by the supervisor!

It's such a shame you only started your new job after Pova's retirement. All the diabetes jokes you could've made as an actual expert in the field 🤭

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
How is your partner?
Thanks for asking.

He is starting to turn a corner- today is day 10. Days 5 & 6 were the worst for him.

I, on the other hand, seemed to have succumbed to it now. It started yesterday morning and then hit me like a ton of bricks last night. I had fever / chills / night sweats all night long with body aches and slight sore throat - hardly slept. No new cough yet. I’m still getting over an old lingering cough from a cold I picked up a few weeks ago. My chest feels slightly tight but that could be anxiety.

It’s day 2 for me and I’m a bit anxious about getting worse as many cases say it’s a 2 week long thing but trying to stay positive and keep perspective. It’s been a horrible time.

·
Premium Member
38,293 Posts
^ No need to say my like above is a sign of support.

It appears near impossible to not catch a virus when you live with an infected person in the same house or apartment (same happened with N.M. and her husband), as careful as you can be. It's really tricky to clean, wash and take care of everything.

Just hearing advices about how to buy food and bring it home, the number of things you have to care of is silly. At some point you feel like fighting an invisible evil.

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
Thanks for asking.

He is starting to turn a corner- today is day 10. Days 5 & 6 were the worst for him.

I, on the other hand, seemed to have succumbed to it now. It started yesterday morning and then hit me like a ton of bricks last night. I had fever / chills / night sweats all night long with body aches and slight sore throat - hardly slept. No new cough yet. I’m still getting over an old lingering cough from a cold I picked up a few weeks ago. My chest feels slightly tight but that could be anxiety.

It’s day 2 for me and I’m a bit anxious about getting worse as many cases say it’s a 2 week long thing but trying to stay positive and keep perspective. It’s been a horrible time.
I'm pleased your partner is improving and seems to be over the worst.

It might be some other virus of course. I think I read somewhere there are around 2000 flu-like viruses. Whatever it is I'm sure you will be fine. It may be that your partner has taken a while to get over this because of his underlying health condition. If you don't have one of those you may well get over it more quickly.

There was a 60 year old doctor on TV who had it and felt lousy for two days and then started to improve. My 74 year old friend was the same. From what you've posted you are much younger than either of them so are likely to have a stronger immune system and will fight it off reasonably quickly.

Don't be complacent and if it does get a lot worse seek medical advice but don't be fearful either. The odds are you will be feeling fine again in a few days. We're all sending you a virtual hug and keep us posted on how you both get on. 🙂

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for asking.

Best wishes to you both for a full recovery. I won't say speedy, because it won't be, but hang in there - and make damn sure you get to hospital if you start to really deteriorate quickly.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Thank you all for your kind words. I have to admit the media has been terrifying so whilst I feel like this I am not using social media or news apps - not because I’m burying my head in the sand but I just don’t want to be reminded of the tragedies 24/7. Sometimes you have to temporarily switch off & focus on your own health to avoid comparing to worst case scenarios.

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
Thank you all for your kind words. I have to admit the media has been terrifying so whilst I feel like this I am not using social media or news apps - not because I’m burying my head in the sand but I just don’t want to be reminded of the tragedies 24/7. Sometimes you have to temporarily switch off & focus on your own health to avoid comparing to worst case scenarios.
I've limited the amount of time I spend looking at coronavirus-related news/social media because I was getting quite anxious and depressed. I feel less so since I've done that.

61 - 80 of 145 Posts