Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
My other half feels worse today - he had chills and night sweats last night. Has had sore throat and dry cough for 5 days now, has headache and body aches - no cold symptoms or nasal congestion. A lot of cases I have read suggest severity of symptoms can peak between day 5-8 so I’m feeling very anxious and on edge right now. I probably wouldn’t if he didn’t have an underlying condition - I feel fraught with worry 🤯🤯

·
Registered
403 Posts
My other half feels worse today - he had chills and night sweats last night. Has had sore throat and dry cough for 5 days now, has headache and body aches - no cold symptoms or nasal congestion. A lot of cases I have read suggest severity of symptoms can peak between day 5-8 so I’m feeling very anxious and on edge right now. I probably wouldn’t if he didn’t have an underlying condition - I feel fraught with worry 🤯🤯
Our thoughts are with you. Try and stay positive, hopefully he's over the worst of it in a day or two.

·
Premium Member
38,293 Posts
Those symptoms are indeed worrying. Your half should look for a test. I've heard one of the symptoms can also be the loss of smell (some victims of covid-19 lose their smelling faculties).

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
In UK the NHS are only testing those in hospital who are moderately or severely unwell. So those with mild symptoms are not being tested. At the moment my partner’s symptoms are still considered mild.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
As an introvert, my social life isn't very different compared to how it was before the pandemic. Only the eight hours at work are missing.
I'm having more hours of sleep which is not bad at all and the rest of the day is just about having food with my parents, cuddling with my fluffy indoor cat, watching movies on Netflix and checking the pandemic updates on social media.
The only daily outdoor activity is making sure that the stray cats will have enough dry food and water when they come to my backyard.

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
Have you tried to get a telephone appointment with his GP to discuss it? Talking it through with a health professional might ease your mind. They are supposed to be increasing testing to 25K per day, so maybe he would qualify for a test under the new criteria. These can be found here:

If I've read it right he would qualify under 2.2.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Have you tried to get a telephone appointment with his GP to discuss it? Talking it through with a health professional might ease your mind. They are supposed to be increasing testing to 25K per day, so maybe he would qualify for a test under the new criteria. These can be found here:

If I've read it right he would qualify under 2.2.
Thanks - I’m going to see how he is tomorrow morning. For now he’s managing ok and tbh if I didn’t know there was an epidemic I wouldn’t be this concerned. He is eating and drinking well and has managed to have a shower and walk around the flat - if he stopped doing those things and his breathing changed in anyway or if he is still like this by day 7 I will definitely seek medical advice.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I just want to remind people of 5 🖐🖐

1) Wash hands regularly.
2) Sneeze or cough in your elbow.
3) Maintain social distance when outside
4) Don't touch your face. Nose, eyes and mouth are all common spots for virus to enter your body.
5) Stay indoor and go out only if it is absolutely necessary such as buying groceries and essential supplies or having to refill your medication.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
As an introvert, my social life isn't very different compared to how it was before the pandemic. Only the eight hours at work are missing.
I'm having more hours of sleep which is not bad at all and the rest of the day is just about having food with my parents, cuddling with my fluffy indoor cat, watching movies on Netflix and checking the pandemic updates on social media.
The only daily outdoor activity is making sure that the stray cats will have enough dry food and water when they come to my backyard.
Come on men couldn't you find anything bette to do even at home than watching shitty propaganda on netflix?

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
I am aiming to be able to do 120 push ups in a row 3 times by the time this is all over
I was going to go back to the country in nsw to get away from it all but I am not as my father is there and he is recovering from open heart surgery and also has a lump on his lungs.
Dont want to risk it.
I will probably try and find some freelance work as i need to pay Bill's and rent. All in all not much else changed but I get up at 0730 instead of 0610 now

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I haven't been able to work for a few years because of long term illness. In some ways that's helpful now because I'm used to being at home and bored. OTOH it's worrying as I don't know how badly I'd be affected if I caught it. I've had difficulty breathing before and it's scary af, so that is a concern but I stay pretty positive. I'm still finding it hard to get my head around the fact that this is happening though. And I miss the tennis like mad. It's great for taking my mind off things.

One real positive for me is that I'm used to making sure we have a good supply of essentials at all times so no toilet roll worries for our house yet! Stay safe everyone.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
I’m probably oversharing but my partner’s symptoms became worse last night and we had to call an ambulance. The paramedics arrived at 2am - I called them 8pm the night before, the poor NHS is run ragged.

• His blood pressure, blood sugar, temperature, pulse and oxygen levels all normal
  • they said highly likely to be covid-19 based on symptoms
  • his symptoms might feel more severe than the average young person due to his underlying condition - but still classified as mild according to assessment and therefore they advised we can manage at home - & no need for hospital admission
  • they expect breathlessness to be one of key symptoms so they advised me not to worry about his high respiratory rate as this should eventually decrease with time
  • gave us very clear advice on what to do and when to seek help
  • they think he should be fine due to age and general physical health but that he’s going to feel very rough for a few more days yet
He’s had a fairly settled night but still feels awful. It’s such a nasty dry cough - he said he’s never felt these symptoms before, quite a distinct cough. Providing he stays like this and does not get worse he should be ok. Paramedics were fairly confident he will be able to manage & recover at home.

I hope an account like this would encourage people to socially distance themselves. If my partner was 20-25 years older he would probably be in hospital.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I’m probably oversharing but my partner’s symptoms became worse last night and we had to call an ambulance. The paramedics arrived at 2am - I called them 8pm the night before, the poor NHS is run ragged.

• His blood pressure, blood sugar, temperature, pulse and oxygen levels all normal
  • they said highly likely to be covid-19 based on symptoms
  • his symptoms might feel more severe than the average young person due to his underlying condition - but still classified as mild according to assessment and therefore they advised we can manage at home - & no need for hospital admission
  • they expect breathlessness to be one of key symptoms so they advised me not to worry about his high respiratory rate as this should eventually decrease with time
  • gave us very clear advice on what to do and when to seek help
  • they think he should be fine due to age and general physical health but that he’s going to feel very rough for a few more days yet
He’s had a fairly settled night but still feels awful. It’s such a nasty dry cough - he said he’s never felt these symptoms before, quite a distinct cough. Providing he stays like this and does not get worse he should be ok. Paramedics were fairly confident he will be able to manage & recover at home.

I hope an account like this would encourage people to socially distance themselves. If my partner was 20-25 years older he would probably be in hospital.
What a stressful situation... :( Do cough and cold medications help to at least relieve some of his symptoms?
You sound like you're doing a good job looking after him. Be sure to look after yourself too.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
What a stressful situation... :( Do cough and cold medications help to at least relieve some of his symptoms?
You sound like you're doing a good job looking after him. Be sure to look after yourself too.
Thanks - he’s only taking paracetamol regularly to help with the throat pain and body aches. They said there’s nothing we can give for the cough - he has to ride through it. Easier said than done of course. The cough is so persistent and debilitating and he can’t even speak a full sentence as it takes up too much energy. I’m giving him lots of room temperature water, warm drinks and vitamin C and multivitamins. I feel otherwise helpless!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks - he’s only taking paracetamol regularly to help with the throat pain and body aches. They said there’s nothing we can give for the cough - he has to ride through it. Easier said than done of course. The cough is so persistent and debilitating and he can’t even speak a full sentence as it takes up too much energy. I’m giving him lots of room temperature water, warm drinks and vitamin C and multivitamins. I feel otherwise helpless!
Oh and avoid ibuprofen because that can make things worse which I'm sure you already know. Maybe honey and lemon (mixed in warm water) might help provide some relief. Okay, I'm being that annoying person providing unsolicited suggestions :LOL:

He's lucky to have you there by his side. Keep checking in to let us know how you go.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,251 Posts
Your partner is lucky to have someone who cares so much about him.

41 - 60 of 145 Posts