Tennis Forum banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Administrator
39,978 Posts
I can't wait until the antibody tests can be done easily here in FL. I'm 99% sure all 3 of us in our house had it mildly and are now on the mend. Playing tennis my lung capacity still feels a little constrained, honestly, just how it did after I had walking pneumonia 5+ years ago.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I can't wait until the antibody tests can be done easily here in FL. I'm 99% sure all 3 of us in our house had it mildly and are now on the mend. Playing tennis my lung capacity still feels a little constrained, honestly, just how it did after I had walking pneumonia 5+ years ago.
Are you not under any sort of lockdown?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
They have extended our lockedown to 4 May 2020. After this, I will be an expert baker of all sorts, my weight will take a hit. I still have not bought myself to do some gardening - I don't have green fingers like my mum. I can't imagine the mental conditions of extroverts locked inside - with no alcohol I might add :cool:

I am glad to read that many here have recovered or are on the way to recovery. Take care of yourselves, take walks.

·
Registered
31,678 Posts
Are you not under any sort of lockdown?
Maybe tennis lessons are an essential business in Florida. We already learned WWE professional wrestling is. :unsure:

·
Administrator
39,978 Posts
Also from what I understand, your Governor hasn't exactly been one of the more responsible US Governors in supporting a lockdown either.
He didn't close the beaches until a month into all of this.

Maybe tennis lessons are an essential business in Florida. We already learned WWE professional wrestling is. :unsure:
haha true story

Isn't he one of those on his knees following Trump around like a puppy?
he's so pathetic!

·
Registered
46,690 Posts
New York state has extended the lockdown until May 15 as I'm sure many other states will follow. Severely depressed and losing hope by the day. I detest the stupidity of the US leaders who fucked this up and the citizens who are still in denial and defying orders. Protests are starting and as the weather gets warmer that will get exponentially worse. There is no reason that the cases should still be increasing as much as they are.

·
Registered
37,642 Posts
New York state has extended the lockdown until May 15 as I'm sure many other states will follow. Severely depressed and losing hope by the day. I detest the stupidity of the US leaders who fucked this up and the citizens who are still in denial and defying orders. Protests are starting and as the weather gets warmer that will get exponentially worse. There is no reason that the cases should still be increasing as much as they are.
It's just been ridiculously frustrating to see one country after another fall like domino pieces to the pandemic. First it was Italy, then Spain and France thought it couldn't get as bad in our countries as it got there so we did next to nothing, then it was the same for the UK, and then the US. My best friend lives in Australia so I can only hope the government there has learned the f'ing lesson.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
It's frustrating watching how things are being handled over there. I feel bad for people who are doing all the right things but are being let down by people doing the wrong things :(
Hang in there.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
It's just been ridiculously frustrating to see one country after another fall like domino pieces to the pandemic. First it was Italy, then Spain and France thought it couldn't get as bad in our countries as it got there so we did next to nothing, then it was the same for the UK, and then the US. My best friend lives in Australia so I can only hope the government there has learned the f'ing lesson.
Australia's doing well at the moment and the curve has flattened with daily new cases and deaths declining since the lockdown. It's more thanks to the state premiers than ScoMo, our idiot in charge.

·
Registered
37,642 Posts
Australia's doing well at the moment and the curve has flattened with daily new cases and deaths declining since the lockdown. It's more thanks to the state premiers than ScoMo, our idiot in charge.
Yeah, only 68 deaths is very good given the circumstances. My friend is immunocompromised and has lung issues so the fact that Australia is doing so well is a big relief for me.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I've been thinking about how things will be when the dust settles - whether that involves alternating waves of lockdown levels or that we'd eradicate this virus... How do you guys want the "new normal" to look like?

I personally want to see a rethink of how we think about work. Where possible remote work should be integrated as much as possible. It's good for the environment and for work/life balance.

Universal basic income so that everyone has the basic means for survival. I worry about when my niece and nephews get older and what their job prospects will be like. Never mind the pandemic, AI is likely to make many jobs redundant, so what then?

There are so many BS or inflated jobs out there particularly white collar jobs where executives are overpaid despite their employees not paid a proper living wage - and I'd thought so even before this pandemic. They need to sort out those tax havens so all businesses pay their fair share. It's not really a free market if they are dodging their basic requirements.

We need to reconfigure salaries to place a higher value the jobs that are essential and inherently meaningful eg. health workers, teachers... Less value ought to be given to the BS white collar jobs.

Politicians need to be held to account. When there is credible information or evidence that indicates corruption, dereliction of duty or incompetence, there should be accessible measures at hand address the problem. When the reality doesn't pass the test at face value (eg. witnesses blocked from testifying at an impeachment trial, politicians with clear conflicts of interest such as coal and an anti-climate stance), people in power must answer questions. If those answers are inadequate or blatantly false, it should set off a set of legal actions.

·
Premium Member
38,655 Posts
^ that reads like the program of a French politician called Benoit Hamon (who had got my vote in the first round of the last national elections).

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
New Zealand dropped from Alert Level 4 (full lockdown) to Alert Level 3 (slightly less restrictive) at midnight last night, and you can see what everyone's priorities are - pretty much all that's on my Facebook feed is pictures of people with their takeaway coffees. 🤣🤣🤣🤣☕🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
23,013 Posts
austrian numbers are very low for well over a week now, so government is abandoning curfew which was in effect since 16th of march by 30th of april 24:00 hours. about time, fingers crossed it works out.

·
Registered
11,394 Posts
Struggling with lockdown today - the weather in UK has been awful all day and thanks to high rent charges in London we live in a small one bed flat.

Obvs lockdown is the right thing to be in place - but days like today is hard! Can’t wait for all this to be over, and yes I know that’s a long wat off.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Struggling with lockdown today - the weather in UK has been awful all day and thanks to high rent charges in London we live in a small one bed flat.

Obvs lockdown is the right thing to be in place - but days like today is hard! Can’t wait for all this to be over, and yes I know that’s a long wat off.
It felt like we were plunged back into autumn today! I do feel for people living in flats at the moment. Not being able to go out can feel very claustrophobic. I hope the coming days are easier for you. At least the weather should be improving by the end of the week.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts

Does your apartment at least have a common area e.g. a BBQ place or a lawn to go outside to when it is sunny? It is indeed a testy spring, hopefully you get better weather in the summer.

181 - 200 of 213 Posts