Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it might be good to have a thread where people can talk about how they're personally dealing with what's happening.

I have older relatives who are in the at-risk age bracket but they're mostly staying at home so I'm not so fearful about their safety at this stage. My dad's business has shut down after several decades of operation :cry: I'm sad for him and I'm sad that the business is gone because it was such an integral part of my life growing up. I've been checking in with him but he isn't the type to open up much emotionally.

I have close friends who are doctors working in the front line so I'm more concerned about them. As for my job, work might dry up over the next few weeks. I'm fortunate that I have savings if things go pear-shaped but there are so many people on casual contracts or have already been laid off.

I'm really annoyed with the panic buying of toilet paper and food. At least if these hoarders die from it, they'll have clean arses? The whole thing has gotten out of hand.

How are you all coping? Got anything you want to get off your chest?

NOTE: This isn't a thread for people who do not believe in the seriousness of the situation so please keep those comments elsewhere (preferably to yourself).

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I feel like I am in episode of Black Mirror or Twilight Zone except that it is my life.
This crises showed how many stupid and careless people live in this world who don't want or can't understand the situation and make it worse with their actions.
Also nobody was prepared for possibility of something like this happening.

·
Registered
37,590 Posts
I think I might've caught it, lol. We'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow.

I'm mostly worried for my 83 year-old grandma but she's in good health (she has none of those previous conditions that make people especially vulnerable to Covid-19) and she lives in a tiny village with my uncle, who's working from home, so hopefully she'll be fine.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
@Daydreamer I'm sorry to hear your dad had to shut down his business, it must be terribly difficult for to make that decision.

I too have older relatives who have to stay at home to keep themselves safe from the virus. Also had relatives and friends who were working in China and had to self-quarantine themselves when they flew back home - thankfully they are all clear and safely back.

We also had another bout of panic buying earlier this week due to news of border restrictions from our neighbouring country but thankfully that too has subsided although it has also resulted in travel and accomodation logistical issues for the workers and students who travel to and from the causeway.

There has been a rise of import cases but we just have to stay cautious and vigilant as we continue with our lives.

·
Registered
46,600 Posts
I'm very worried about my father and wife's parents especially, being in their 80s and not exactly doing everything they should.

I've felt like I've had a low-grade fever for two weeks, but I don't have one. It's stress.

I'm wondering if I, my wife or kids actually has it and just hasn't shown symptoms or will have mild symptoms. Obviously also worried about them getting it full-blown.

I worry about myself, because I have heart issues and feel that if I got it bad, I would die.

I'm conflicted constantly about the gloom and doom reports of huge numbers dying, while on the same page I see that "most will have mild symptoms and recover".

I really can't watch the news anymore.

I worry that with some places locking down and most others doing nothing that this pause in life will last way longer than it should.

I can't work from home, so I'm worried about money should there be a lockdown, but am hopeful for a stimulus payment or going on unemployment.

I miss sports terribly because it's a huge outlet and release.

Just general anxiety 24/7, like most.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have got a cough as of the last night. (thankfully, otherwise I am fine) Hopefully its just a cold, thought I did move in the area of the ilness within my country 10 days ago.

People are starting to panic, some did try to move out of quarantined zone against the probihiton, terrible mood of the population all around.

Be safe people and take care of yourselves!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Bored out of my mind. My gym is closed so I have downloaded home workout app and working out at home. Spending time on Hinge, can't meet the guys in this climate so just talking and having phone sex. Big Brother Canada is on so watching some of that. Plus, watching Money Heist (with English subtitles) on Netflix but the more the show progresses the more irritated I become with the professor and the plot has more holes than Swiss cheese so I am close to giving up.

Also reading Submission by Michel Houellebecq and doing a lot of cooking and exploring new recipes. Reading some house decor magazines and making fantasy/real plans about DIY I want to do once the lockdown is over.

Sending daily reminders to my mom that if she wants something she should ask me and not go out herself to buy it. She is 68 years old and has respiratory issues including asthma. I am making sure she stays inside. I am guarding her with more vigilance than the most notorious criminals at Alcatraz or Rikers.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I feel like I am in episode of Black Mirror or Twilight Zone except that it is my life.
This crises showed how many stupid and careless people live in this world who don't want or can't understand the situation and make it worse with their actions.
Also nobody was prepared for possibility of something like this happening.
Some of these idiots are sadly in my friend circle. Two of my friends were relentless that they want to go out and party because we are young and nothing would happen to us. I just lied I am out of town and won't be back before the first week of April.

·
Registered
22,976 Posts
curfew def is a new experience to say the least. my workplace isn't locked down yet tho, so it isn't that bad. austrian numbers are encouraging as of lately, so i will still comply with my goverments restrictions and do my part to save lifes.

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Here in Canada the numbers will keep going up for a while since lots of testing have been done recently on those coming back from abroad. Still many have not been able to come back yet but the Federal Government is doing their best to help them. After the travelers are all back home, the curve should hopefully be flattening.

We've had very good financial measures taken by our governments and the banks to help the people get through this disaster. Without this it would be chaos. It could be another story if this lasts for a year or more.

I don't worry too much for myself. I only go out for walk from time to time and to buy food. That's all I need for now.
As long as the trucks and trains keep bringing the goods to the grocery stores, pharmacies and hospitals, we'll be able to avoid chaos.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Not being sure if i still have job or not, all depends on how long shutdown will last (it is said that it is until 30th of march, but it will be definitely longer).
Getting just 60% of salary make me feel unsafe, but where i can spend money now anyway.
I am worried about my boyfriend who is all skin and bones.

I am also annoyed because stupid german people are still going to cafes, ice cream parlors and so on. I know it was pretty weather today, but still - we should stay home, so it goes away faster.

Playing PS4, dancing with Just Dance, reading books and watching Netflix, that's all i can do now.

·
Administrator
39,958 Posts
Working from home at least through next week, although my guess is that it'll be well into April. This is certainly a new experience in the sense of how long and drawn out it will be up being. Also depending on one's personal experience it can go from worrying nuisance to life altering to life shattering.

My family and my husband's family are being smart and playing it safe. Some of my friends could use common sense but for the most part those near and dear to me are playing it safe, so that's always helpful for peace of mind.

Stay safe yinz.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
I’m working from home and only going out for exercise and dog walking with social distance. I’m worried for my partner who has a form of heart disease - it’s never giving him any issues in the past and he has never been admitted to hospital with it, but it’s still a worry for me as he’s in the ‘at risk’ group.

I’m just very anxious and on edge and constantly worrying about if or when we we going to catch it.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
I'm very worried about my father and wife's parents especially, being in their 80s and not exactly doing everything they should.

I've felt like I've had a low-grade fever for two weeks, but I don't have one. It's stress.

I'm wondering if I, my wife or kids actually has it and just hasn't shown symptoms or will have mild symptoms. Obviously also worried about them getting it full-blown.

I worry about myself, because I have heart issues and feel that if I got it bad, I would die.

I'm conflicted constantly about the gloom and doom reports of huge numbers dying, while on the same page I see that "most will have mild symptoms and recover".

I really can't watch the news anymore.

I worry that with some places locking down and most others doing nothing that this pause in life will last way longer than it should.

I can't work from home, so I'm worried about money should there be a lockdown, but am hopeful for a stimulus payment or going on unemployment.

I miss sports terribly because it's a huge outlet and release.

Just general anxiety 24/7, like most.
It’s exhausting with the worry isn’t it? I wish the media would also promote all the positive news as well as the bad news, i.e the fact that the vast majority of people are surviving rather than passing.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts

I'm mostly worried for my 83 year-old grandma but she's in good health (she has none of those previous conditions that make people especially vulnerable to Covid-19) and she lives in a tiny village with my uncle, who's working from home, so hopefully she'll be fine.
Why do you think you have caught it? Hope all is well.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
I was very concerned about it but another portentiially very worrying helath issue has recently popped up for me so I am more concerned about that. My partner has significant health/disability issues and relies very much on me so my being out of action or worse is making me very anxious as I don't know how he could cope.

·
Registered
13,466 Posts

I hope and pray you don;t have it, or if you do you recover without the need for medical intervention.

Your grandma sounds as if she is in a good position so I"m sure she will be ok.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
I was very concerned about it but another portentiially very worrying helath issue has recently popped up for me so I am more concerned about that. My partner has significant health/disability issues and relies very much on me so my being out of action or worse is making me very anxious as I don't know how he could cope.
Do you have other support networks who could help in worst case scenario? Not that I’m suggesting worst case scenario will happen.

·
Registered
37,590 Posts
Why do you think you have caught it? Hope all is well.
I hope and pray you don;t have it, or if you do you recover without the need for medical intervention.

Your grandma sounds as if she is in a good position so I"m sure she will be ok.
Yesterday I had flu-like symptoms (headache, muscle pains, general tiredness, body felt warmer) but I didn't have a high temperature or shortness of breath. I'm feeling pretty okay now after sleeping a lot, so I think I'm good.

I hope you and your partner will be okay. I think it'll be a while before (or if) the NHS becomes overwhelmed, so hopefully you'll have enough time to think of a contingency plan.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts