1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Press Conference with GUILLERMO CORIA

Coria vs. Gaudio 6:3, 6:7, 6:0 17.05.2003

Q: Congratulations. How is the injury?

A: I feel much better right now. I have to say that the trainer and the physiotherapist are like genius because they really helped me a lot on the court. Without them I couldn’t have finished the match. In the third set I knew that I couldn’t play long points so I attacked more and everything went my way.

Q: Will you be o.k. for tomorrow?

A: Yes, I think I will be o.k. I have a lot of hours to prepare for the final. I will eat very well tonight. Tomorrow, the final will be a very long match, so I need to be ready for that. I’m playing incredible tennis right now. I mean, the third set I had cramps and I played my best tennis.

Q: Is it only cramps, is it not an injury?

A: No, only cramps.

Q: What happened in the second point in the tiebreak?

A: Unbelievable. I don’t know. The umpire said that I called the ball out, but I did not. I played that ball, then I played the backhand and then I saw that the umpire was coming down to check the mark. Maybe if I watch the replay on TV, I will see that maybe I called it out, but I really don’t think I did that.

Q: If you want you can come with me afterwards to watch the tape?

A: Yes.

Q: I think the decision of the umpire was wrong. If he interrupted the game, he must give two new balls.
A: I would like to see the tape. I don’t want to say anything.

ATP: But, I have to say that if the umpire saw that the player stopped the point calling it out, he made the right decision.

Q: It was a wonderful match and the credit goes to both players, but we heard reports about disagreement between the two players afterwards and physical contact between them in the locker room. Is this incorrect?

A: No, it’s not true.

Q: But you didn’t seem very friendly at the end?

A: I don’t know, maybe he thought that I was maybe about to stop the match because of my cramps and he thought he had the match in his hands. But, in the third set I was able to play my best tennis and at the end he was upset because he lost. You know, I really had cramps. When the match finished and I was able to relax I couldn’t move anymore. I had to go back to the locker rooms. So, that was it, basically.

Q: He didn’t say anything then in the end?

A: No.

Q: What kind of atmosphere was between you in the locker room after the match. Did you see each other?

A: He was there with his team and I was there.

Q: Do you have a good chance tomorrow?

A: It will be a very open match. We are both playing probably the best tennis of our career. Both of us want to win our first Masters Series title and I will give everything I have to win the title tomorrow.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Oh, remind me of the Justine-Lindsay match. Argentineans aren't friendly with each other :rolleyes:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rebecca said:
Strange... I thought that Gaston was quite kind to him at the end, giving him a half smile and pat on the back. Perhaps it was one of those "I'm going to kick your ass" smiles ;)

Wouldn't be the first time that Coria had been involved in a fight with other Argies - that actually made the press - though, would it? :eek:
Becca,
Boris Becker just said in an interview before the final that appearently Gaudio thought yesterday that Coria faked the cramping and that in the locker room Gaudio hit Coria with his fist :eek: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rebecca said:
Ahhhh. Well that's amusing; any signs of a black eye today? ;) Erm, actually don't tell me, because I'm trying to hold off until I get the match taped before peering into the scoring thread :eek:
I was already wondering what you are doing here, could not stay away after all ;) tsk tsk tsk

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rebecca said:
I have not yet checked the scoring thread...note the "yet"
C'mon Becca, you can do it, be strong, you can stay away - MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YA BECCA ;)

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
BBC radio mentioned the same...they said that Coria was faking and that there was a fight between the players... BBC didn't give any details though.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
i just heard about this. yes Gaston was pissed and cuffed Coria. he had every right to be be pissed IMO. the timing of that injury break was suspicious and unsportsmanlike -- Gaston was up 40-15 when Coria sat down. i have no doubt that Coria was cramping bec he was wincing several minutes before. but he could have played out that last point before calling for the trainer.

however, Gaston is an idiot for letting it get to him. or to quote Roy Jones Jr. (the boxer), "if you're the champ, you're supposed to take whatever comes at you. if my opponents aren't good, it's not my fault". Gaston should not have let Coria's gamesmanship throw him off his focus.

understand that there is a lot riding on this tourny for these Argies. Davis Cup is a HUGE deal in Argentina, and the outcome of this tourny goes a long way towards determining who makes the cut, given the wealth of talent available. hence the vicious competitiveness.

yes this is the same scrappy Coria who was involved in a fight in that tourny i attended in Rosario. the Argies are like a group of brothers. they fight and cuss each other but also hang out and support each other. Gaudio attends Coria's matches and vice-versa. but the sibling rivalry is intense. in fact, Argentinian men are among the most competitive i have ever met. bec i don't have a competitive bone in my body, i findit rather sexy...:lick: :drool:

note relevant use of smilies :eek:

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But notice that Coria said it didn't happen. Gaudio doesn't talk about it either.

On German TV, the treating physician said there was no doubt that Coria was suffering from extreme cramping. Some one posted that over there, if anyone would care to look. ;)

[note restrained use of smilies]

·
Registered
365 Posts
starr said:
But notice that Coria said it didn't happen. Gaudio doesn't talk about it either.

On German TV, the treating physician said there was no doubt that Coria was suffering from extreme cramping. Some one posted that over there, if anyone would care to look. ;)

[note restrained use of smilies]
I do not think that Coria was faking.
That said, even if there was a fight in the locker room I do not think they would talk about it in public. Thisfight story is just a little too far off to totally make it up so maybe there was a little quarrel but not really a fight.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
that was my point about them being "brothers". there was a fight -- but neither of them would ever talk about it. it's family business.

about the handshake at the net after the match. Gaudio was visibly restrained and only responded when Coria insisted. and Coria was so happy to win that he forgot he was pissed off at the Chair! :bounce:

(note highly inappropriate use of smiley)

·
Registered
65 Posts
tennischick said:
i just heard about this. yes Gaston was pissed and cuffed Coria. he had every right to be be pissed IMO. the timing of that injury break was suspicious and unsportsmanlike -- Gaston was up 40-15 when Coria sat down. i have no doubt that Coria was cramping bec he was wincing several minutes before. but he could have played out that last point before calling for the trainer.
[/i] :eek:

I think Coria took the injury time out on his own serve. That's what i saw when watching the match. I might be wrong but can someone who has the match on tape repaly to check?

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
smally said:
I think Coria took the injury time out on his own serve. That's what i saw when watching the match. I might be wrong but can someone who has the match on tape repaly to check?
I watched it, and I recall Coria leading 40-15 on his own serve, and then taking the inury time out. In which case his alledged gamesmenship was not nearly as bad as it would have been. Gaudio only had one set point that I recall, and it was not when Coria served at 5-6.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts