Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this what we could have come to expect from a healthy Hingis, if she were still on the tour? A few wins against top ten players, and winning the titles when the biggest names weren't present? Or has Kim taken Hingis' game and evolved it for the modern game?



Serve: Kim
Return : Martina (slight edge)
Forehand: =Kim's is a weapon Martina's more consistant
Backhand: Martina(very slight edge)
Court Coverage: Kim(slight)
Net game : Hingis(hands down) :worship:
Mental : Hingis

I can't see Martina blowing, or losing a 5-1 final set lead, especially at the A.O.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,539 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
Is this what we could have come to expect from a healthy Hingis, if she were still on the tour? A few wins against top ten players, and winning the titles when the biggest names weren't present? Or has Kim taken Hingis' game and evolved it for the modern game?



Serve: Kim
Return : Martina (slight edge)
Forehand: =Kim's is a weapon Martina's more consistant
Backhand: Martina(very slight edge)
Court Coverage: Kim(slight)
Net game : Hingis(hands down) :worship:
Mental : Hingis

I can't see Martina blowing, or losing a 5-1 final set lead, especially at the A.O.
love Martina! There is just no comparison between Kim and Martina...Martina has a court sense that Kim just doesn't have. And if Martina needs just one point to put Serena Williams away you'd better believe martina will stay on that ralley for as long as she needs to win that match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47,657 Posts
Martina USED to be mentally though, but after the French final against Graf she completely lost it! The Oz final against is an example and the ´00 us open semi against Venus. How could she possibly miss that overhead?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Hingis, a "few wins against top ten players."

You should work for the Bush administration, you are very good at changing the facts.

Hingis against Venus 10-9
Hingis against Serena 6-7
Hingis against Davenport 11-14
Hingis against Capriati 5-4
Hingis against Clijsters 4-1
Hingis against Henin 2-0
Hingis against Seles 17-5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zzzzzzzzzzz! I was talking about if she played today you himbo!

We all know she has good h2h against todays top players.

R.I.F.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,222 Posts
TonyP said:
Hingis, a "few wins against top ten players."

You should work for the Bush administration, you are very good at changing the facts.

Hingis against Venus 10-9
Hingis against Serena 6-7
Hingis against Davenport 11-14
Hingis against Capriati 5-4
Hingis against Clijsters 4-1
Hingis against Henin 2-0
Hingis against Seles 17-5

Graf is conspicuously missing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
57-47. That's what Hingis' the head to head record total is in playing all the players I listed, including Graf. That's more than a few wins.

Now, what would the record be if a completely healthy Hingis were playing again?

Obviously, no one knows, any more than they would know what the record of a 25 year old Martina Navratilova would be against them, or a 25 year old Graf would be against them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,697 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Graf is conspicuously missing...
Graf is conspicuously missing from the list because the original post states "Is this what we could have come to expect from a healthy Hingis, if she were still on the tour?". Last I checked, Graf was not a part of the tour.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,052 Posts
Hingis is 15-5 against Seles, not 17-5. But Monica started beating her more consistantly at the end, they split their last 6 matches including a spanking where Monica def. Hingis 6-4, 6-2 at the US Open. Too bad that Hingis retired because Monica was finally gaining some edge and had a shot to make the head-to-head closer. It's funny that Hingis played so many matches against Monica in 1997, 1999 when Monica was in a slump after injuries and Hingis at her best, but as soon as Hingis is in a slump after an injury, Monica gets to meet her only once and Hingis disappears. :rolleyes:
 

·
NeverWoz
Joined
·
25,696 Posts
TonyP said:
57-47. That's what Hingis' the head to head record total is in playing all the players I listed, including Graf. That's more than a few wins.

Now, what would the record be if a completely healthy Hingis were playing again?

Obviously, no one knows, any more than they would know what the record of a 25 year old Martina Navratilova would be against them, or a 25 year old Graf would be against them.
He was just saying if Hingis played today, she probably wouldn't be at the otp of the game. I doubt if Hingis played tennis again she would do anything less then completely re-tool her game and try to take herself to #1. One reason she retired was because she couldn't be at the top, so I don't think if she was still playing she would be as weak.


I agree with your assessment completely though, it's very accurate. I think Hingis healthy is mentally tougher then most, but afew matches in 2002 say otherwise.


And thank you hingis-seles, I didn't want to point out the obvious.
 

·
NeverWoz
Joined
·
25,696 Posts
selesrules said:
Hingis is 15-5 against Seles, not 17-5. But Monica started beating her more consistantly at the end, they split their last 6 matches including a spanking where Monica def. Hingis 6-4, 6-2 at the US Open. Too bad that Hingis retired because Monica was finally gaining some edge and had a shot to make the head-to-head closer. It's funny that Hingis played so many matches against Monica in 1997, 1999 when Monica was in a slump after injuries and Hingis at her best, but as soon as Hingis is in a slump after an injury, Monica gets to meet her only once and Hingis disappears. :rolleyes:

It's obvious Martina was petrified of Monica and high-tailed it out of there to avoid getting her ass thumped again. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
How many players are playing better today than they were when Martina was last playing at her best?

Venus? Jennifer? Monica? Daniela? Jelena? Amelie? Lindsay?

Serena??

Justine, Kim?

Could Martina take KIm or Justine now - they are not super powerful but distinctly better than they were? Is Serena better or worse? Could Martina take the sick and falling members of the top 10? Everyone ranked 11-20? Or would she have problems with the Veras, Nadias and Svetlanas?

Martina with a new foot =Top 6???
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top