Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
Team Vika
44,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:bigclap:

Due to her choke today, María won't become number two after Rome. However, PBG and KREJČÍKOVÁ both have points coming off next week from their respective Belgrade and Strasbourg titles last year, meaning that María SÁKKARI will indeed be number two the week of Roland Garros unless the rankings pull some sort of funny business. Congrats to her for working so hard and coming so far and trailblazing for Greek tennis !

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
12,957 Posts
Strasbourg was a week after Belgrade and would therefore fall during Roland Garros? So Krejcikova would stay at #2… but not sure how WTA will be dropping it.

·
Registered
Team Vika
44,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strasbourg was a week after Belgrade and would therefore fall during Roland Garros? So Krejcikova would stay at #2… but not sure how WTA will be dropping it.
Hmmm they dropped Cincinnati when it was held last year, even though it had been the week before the US Open previously, so I'm assuming it will be the same here 😬 Hopefully I didn't jump the gun anyway...

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Obviously, it would've been much better if she could back it up with a final in Rome, but it's a big deal for Greek tennis anyway. Only country with two top4 players ATM. :bowdown:

Maria, you're such a mental midget but I love you. :hug::hysteric:

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
I am pretty sure that Maria couldn't give fiddler's fuck if her rank is #2. #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8. Rankings only important for seedings....Be in top 4, then top 8, then top 16 for avoiding higher seeded players earlier in bigger tourneys. The only player any of the girls truly have to avoid anyway is Iga and being top 8 means you can't see her until the QF....if you are even in her quarter. Be in the top 16 and you can't see her until R4 at a Slam.

Maria is consumed by what happened today, poor kid... not her rank. I know everyone here is consumed by actual rank # week in week out.... (anyone reading from "The Empire"?).....but outside of what I said above, rankings at the top don't mean shit. Winning big titles is the only focus that really matters, and Maria just can't do that. #2 ranking?....C'mon, it's meaningless in reality.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Happy for Maria. I like her and I often enjoy her matches that turn into big gritty fights and are quite exciting to watch. She's so hard working, it really is a shame she can't shake those mental lapses that have made her a laughing stock on the forum. I hope she can overcome this problem, get bigger titles and gain more respect here.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts