Discussion Starter #1
Very solid mentally

Reactions: salima

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Volcana said:
Very solid mentally
Serena had her chances in the second but didnt capitalize. It could have gone three but you just knew maria wasnt going to break down mentally.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Her game was solid too. Big congrats to her. what a match!

Congrats also to Serena. God knows she fought hard facing a very determined and skilled youngster.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I don't think serena could have played worse if she tried. There was no fighting spirit shown in that match until the end of the 2nd set when it was too late.
Congrats to Maria she did well, but thats the worst match i have serena play in a long while- she didn't hit two decent shots in a row. Ugh!

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
so true villa...she was awful, i wouldnt be mad if she was being forced into the errors but so many times her feet were just stuck and she was munching on the ball.

Maria did what many people dont often do against Rena, she took advantage of her opportunities and kept her fight up. She deserves to win, she almost reminded me of Rena when she won the USOpen

·
Registered
424 Posts
Masha rules!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Great match! Finally some quality GS final. Thanx, Masha!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
yeah, very solid :eek:

the thing I didn't like was her "Lendl's" passing :confused: , when she hit the ball into Serena...

always find that rude from the players...guess her will for victory was so huge

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Though I am not a fan...CONGRATS!!! It´s good to see another "new" Grand Slam member. Great match and damn, that girl must have nerves made out of steel!!!

Incredible, I am happy for her...so, which russian will win the US Open???

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
congrats maria!!! you were awesome
:aparty: :aparty: :aparty: :aparty: :aparty: :aparty: :aparty: :aparty:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,053 Posts
Congrats Maria:)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
tennisjam said:
yeah, very solid :eek:

the thing I didn't like was her "Lendl's" passing :confused: , when she hit the ball into Serena...

always find that rude from the players...guess her will for victory was so huge
Maybe you haven't seen Serena do that during doubles matches.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Congratation indeed. :cool:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Congrats, Maria!

·
GIMME SHELTER
48,186 Posts
BIG CONGRATS for a girl who wants to follow the tracks of Steffi G. !

First done. Do some more, Maria ! :worship: :worship: :hug: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Thumbs up to all VS fans. Very classy reaction to the loss.

Bravo to Maria's performance today. Just too good. She could have beaten anyone in the top 5. Much worthier than Anastasia's RG win, imo.

One thing I notice though. Her game seems to aim at power hitters. I wonder what it would be like if she plays Martina H or someone like that, who play strategically and put a lot of thought behind each shot.

Any thought?

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Smackie said:
Thumbs up to all VS fans. Very classy reaction to the loss.

Bravo to Maria's performance today. Just too good. She could have beaten anyone in the top 5. Much worthier than Anastasia's RG win, imo.

One thing I notice though. Her game seems to aim at power hitters. I wonder what it would be like if she plays Martina H or someone like that, who play strategically and put a lot of thought behind each shot.

Any thought?
Just look at the trouble Frazier and Sugiyama gave her... It'd be worse with Hingis. Had Sugiyama had more energy and Amy less double faults and dumb errors, maybe Maria would have been out before the semis (I'm not taking anything away from her win, OK !!!) She deserved the title, I'm just giving my opinion.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts