Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
55,237 Posts
She’s more than talented enough, but I must say I don’t like the fact that we’re seeing girls like Sakkari and Jabeur in the Top 10 with literally one MM title each in their whole careers. Maybe it’s time to reduce Finalist and SF points like the ATP have done. She’s had a fabulous season though regardless, it feels like she’s been winning matches non-stop the entire year.
then some of the other contenders would have less points as well then (hello Pavs ....)
Sakkari, Jabeur, (and Pegula/Badosa as well for instance) have been consistently reaching QFs/better all year long
it's more about plenty of players having similar results- the race is so close between 8/20 ... by virtue of a couple of good results (US Open/Ostrava for Sakkari, Chicago/IW for Ons...) , one of them enters top 10...then another does a few weeks later ... and so on ..

EDIT: oh, BTW, congrats Ons ! what an awesome achievement , I'm so proud ! :D

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,368 Posts
Yep, but Kloss and Roz Fairbank did reach the top 20 and 15 respectively.

The only other Arab player to even get close to the Top 100 was Bahia Mouhtassine
South Africa also had several players who peaked in the # 20s like Mariaan de Swardt, Elna Reinach or Dianne van Rensburg. And I'm maybe missing someone. The all-time Top 10 highest ranked WTA players from African continent must have at least 8 from South Africa (+ Jabeur and maybe Cara Black).

Reactions: pattyclijsters

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
South Africa also had several players who peaked in the # 20s like Mariaan de Swardt, Elna Reinach or Dianne van Rensburg. And I'm maybe missing someone. The all-time Top 10 highest ranked WTA players from African continent must have at least 8 from South Africa (+ Jabeur and maybe Cara Black).
Yvonne Vermaak. She peaked at 20.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It's been 84 years........
For me, Ons is a talented player but lack of fittest.
Her game is fun to watch. Hope for Slam champion and World No.1 for her.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
She's also up to #8 in the race, officially moving past Osaka who can no longer qualify directly for the YEC but rather only eligible to play if someone withdraws.

·
Registered
29,783 Posts
She’s more than talented enough, but I must say I don’t like the fact that we’re seeing girls like Sakkari and Jabeur in the Top 10 with literally one MM title each in their whole careers. Maybe it’s time to reduce Finalist and SF points like the ATP have done. She’s had a fabulous season though regardless, it feels like she’s been winning matches non-stop the entire year.
MM is not why Jabeur and Sakkari made top 10. They have been putting consistent results in big tournaments. Sakkari has so many top 10 wins this Season and 2 Slam SF.
It makes 100% sense that someone that makes the last 4 in 2 Slams in the same Season is a top 10 player at the end of it.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,886 Posts
Haven’t you all learned from the Pavlyuchenkova thread last week? Yes, she’ll most likely make the top10, but she will only be a confirmed top10 if she wins the next match OR if Kontaveit, Pegula or Kerber don’t win IW.

Some of you really love jumping the gun on here.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Haven’t you all learned from the Pavlyuchenkova thread last week? Yes, she’ll most likely make the top10, but she will only be a confirmed top10 if she wins the next match OR if Kontaveit, Pegula or Kerber don’t win IW.

Some of you really love jumping the gun on here.
No Ons can only be passed by one person. So she is either 9 or 10. It's 100% sure.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
The confusion basically is regarding when the IW 2019 points are gonna come off. The live rankings site is assuming that IW 2019 come off in Nov Wk1 which is what WTA has been saying for a while and we also had some big discussion regarding that on here. Unless there has been some change in logic regarding when IW 2019 points are coming off, Ons should be in top10 in the new rankings irrespective of what happens later in this week at IW.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
I mean ... at least she won a title I guess .
It;s all rainbows and unicorns for you isn't it girl?:ROFLMAO: Halep will be back ....relax. Unless of course she has twins, gets hog fat and waits until she is 37 like Clijsters to attempt a comeback. Something to look forward to right?;)

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Jabeur has simply earned her way in. Hand skills off the charts, she must have hit 12 or so drop shots for winners yesterday. 7 of the remaining 8 has legitimate shot with their current form to win here....with Shelby my least likely to win from here. I am really hoping ANYONE except Ostapenko wins from a fan's view though.

·
Registered
37,265 Posts
What an amazing achievemnt for Ons ! Congrats, and hopefully she keeps improving.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts