Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it looks like several players can pass Jabeur here especially since no one from the top 10 is left in the tournament. If Jabeur loses in the QFs it looks like she will not make the top 10 if:

Kerber makes the final
Kontaveit or Pegula win the tournament

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but it looks like several players can pass Jabeur here especially since no one from the top 10 is left in the tournament. If Jabeur loses in the QFs it looks like she will not make the top 10 if:

Kerber makes the final
But Kerber has to win the tournament to gain points.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

Kerber makes the final
nope...she is currently 9th in live rankings as both Kenin and Iga will be dropping out of top10 (RG 2020 points coming off)...among the remaining players, only Kerber, Kontaveit or Pegula can overtake her but for that they have to win the tournament. So, even in the worst case scenario where Ons loses in next round and either of Kerber,Kontaveit, Pegula win the title, she will atleast be guaranteed 10th spot.

·
Registered
20,815 Posts
I didn’t think Ons would make it tbh, and I also think this was achieved partly due to the weak era the WTA is currently experiencing, but what a great achievement for Ons and Tunisia nonetheless. She has respectable enough results to warrant this achievement with GS QFs and WTA 500 finals etc.

·
Registered
38,025 Posts
She’s more than talented enough, but I must say I don’t like the fact that we’re seeing girls like Sakkari and Jabeur in the Top 10 with literally one MM title each in their whole careers. Maybe it’s time to reduce Finalist and SF points like the ATP have done. She’s had a fabulous season though regardless, it feels like she’s been winning matches non-stop the entire year.

·
Registered
20,531 Posts
She’s more than talented enough, but I must say I don’t like the fact that we’re seeing girls like Sakkari and Jabeur in the Top 10 with literally one MM title each in their whole careers. Maybe it’s time to reduce Finalist and SF points like the ATP have done. She’s had a fabulous season though regardless, it feels like she’s been winning matches non-stop the entire year.
It is not why Jabeur is top 10 . Take a look at the Race points, she will have a good lead after Indian Wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
First Arabian player in top 10! Congrats Ons! (y)

She is also one of the rare African players to reach top 10. Is Amanda Coetzer the only other one?

·
Rise up from ignorance
20,521 Posts
I assume Coetzer was the only one. Until Jabeur no African player from country other than South Africa even made Top 30 (Cara Black was #31).

Only three Arab players cracked Top 100 in the Open Era? Jabeur, Selima Sfar and Mayar Sherif. Am I missing someone?

Reactions: pattyclijsters

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
First Arabian player in top 10! Congrats Ons! (y)

She is also one of the rare African players to reach top 10. Is Amanda Coetzer the only other one?
I assume Coetzer was the only one. Until Jabeur no African player from country other than South Africa even made Top 30 (Cara Black was #31).

Only three Arab players cracked Top 100 in the Open Era? Jabeur, Selima Sfar and Mayar Sherif. Am I missing someone?
Yep, but Kloss and Roz Fairbank did reach the top 20 and 15 respectively.

The only other Arab player to even get close to the Top 100 was Bahia Mouhtassine

1 - 20 of 61 Posts