Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

Registered
Sybille Bammer - Serena Williams 2-0 馃ぃ
I don't think this was a match-up issue, but a case of Bammer being in the right place, at the right time.

Serena was ranked around #100 in their meeting in 2007 and had only played 4 events in 2006.

Serena played a terrible match in Cincinnati in 2009 and Bammer was relatively in form and had a solid ranking at the time.

Registered
I don't think this was a match-up issue, but a case of Bammer being in the right place, at the right time.

Serena was ranked around #100 in their meeting in 2007 and had only played 4 events in 2006.

Serena played a terrible match in Cincinnati in 2009 and Bammer was relatively in form and had a solid ranking at the time.
I am more surprised about the secind loss to be honest. Maybe Serena had forgotten she had already lost once against her

Registered
Pliskova-Ivanovic 5-0 in favor of the Czech
It was always awful to watch them play and see Ana annihilated by the Czech, it was a matchup she had no answers too :(

Anyways, shameless FWTT promo but:
The Junior tour is starting again! Enter now to have a chance to play at the French Open :)
Enter Here
A look would be highly appreciated, thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Some that DO make sense to me:

Kerber vs. Lisicki: 6-0 to Kerber

Sabine has no answer to an intelligent counterpuncher who can also play offensively. Angie reads her serve pretty well and generally has Sabine on the back foot.

Stosur vs. Cibulkova: 6-2 to Stosur

I put this down to a height issue - Domi is too short to reach a lot of Sam's high bounces. The kick serve and heavy forehand bounce over Domi's head and she has to choose between taking everything right off the bounce (dangerous and tiring) or standing way, way back (dangerous and tiring).

Stosur vs. Sharapova: 15-2 to Sharapova

Sam really can't deal well with players who are extremely mentally strong. Everyone knows that Sam is prone to losing matches she is totally dominating. Even when she has match point you still feel like she has a good chance of losing. Maria literally never gives up. It's a disastrous combination.

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
Some more slightly confusing ones:

Wozniacki vs. Stephens: 6-1 to Wozniacki

I get that Caroline isn't bothered by counterpunchers or heavy topspin. I get that Sloane often puts in a very poor effort in matches. But still...this h2h is crazy.

Radwanska vs. Wozniacki: 11-6 to Wozniacki

Between the three Polish sisters (Angie, Caroline and Aga), this is the most lopsided. Angie has basically equal stats with the other two (8-7 over Caro, 6-6 with Aga), and I can't really tell why. There's no glaring matchup issue here - both are super fit, super fast counterpunchers who don't like to play overly aggressively. Aga has more variety in her game by far, which is why it might seem like she'd have a chance to rattle Caroline more. Idk. Maybe Aga tried to play too aggressively?

Registered
Let me fix that for you

Sharapova was just much bigger and stronger than Simona. Maria could hit most of her contemporaries off the court when she was on meldonium.
On a serious note, Simona can counterpunch her way in most of the matches against big hitters, but somehow had no response against players like Maria or Lucic-Baroni.

Registered
I don鈥檛 think Martina played the pre-stabbing Seles. That older version of Seles could hang with prime Steffi and older Martina.

The first half of Henin鈥檚 career she had to face a prime Venus. The Venus that played in 1999-2002 is not the Venus that鈥檚 playing today. Her level was definitely higher than Henin鈥檚.
More like Justine was nowhere near her prime in most of those meetings. It's a bit of both scenarios, but to pretend it was all about Venus' level is brazen bias. Anywhere outside grass, I'd have fancied a prime Justine's chances against any version of Venus.

Registered

I get that Caroline isn't bothered by counterpunchers or heavy topspin. I get that Sloane often puts in a very poor effort in matches. But still...this h2h is crazy.

Radwanska vs. Wozniacki: 11-6 to Wozniacki

Between the three Polish sisters (Angie, Caroline and Aga), this is the most lopsided. Angie has basically equal stats with the other two (8-7 over Caro, 6-6 with Aga), and I can't really tell why. There's no glaring matchup issue here - both are super fit, super fast counterpunchers who don't like to play overly aggressively. Aga has more variety in her game by far, which is why it might seem like she'd have a chance to rattle Caroline more. Idk. Maybe Aga tried to play too aggressively?

Considering their respective career accomplishments, I'm not sure how Wozniacki having an 11-6 record over Radwanska (hardly that dominant in the first place) is some oddity or surprising.

Registered
Surprised that no one has said Serena vs Sharapova 20-2

Yes, Serena is the GOAT but Sharapova is also an all time great. Serena lost many more matches to players with comparable stats to Sharapova (+/- 2 slams):

Serena vs Venus 18-12
Serena vs Henin 8-6
Serena vs Hingis 7-6
Serena vs Capriati 10-7
Serena vs Davenport 10-4

It is especially surprising given Sharapova's success in 2004 where going into 2005 the H2H was 2-1 for Sharapova. Serena won an epic match at the AO 2005 saving MPs and it truly looked like it would be a great rivalry. After that the H2H was surprisingly easy for Serena and it soon became laughable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
Considering their respective career accomplishments, I'm not sure how Wozniacki having an 11-6 record over Radwanska (hardly that dominant in the first place) is some oddity or surprising.
To me it's surprising, and that's all that matters for the purpose of this thread ;-)

I think it's also surprising considering the matchup. You're also making Radwanska seem like a player who accomplished a lot less than she did. For most of their careers they were close in rankings and Agnieszka also ended her career with a lot of achievements; Caroline wasn't the most dominant slam winner or #1 of all-time either.

Registered

Not to me. Stephens had one flash of genius, when she somehow managed to fluke a Grand Slam title (I watched at least three of her matches, and still can't figure it out), but is otherwise run of the mill. Her career prior to the US Open win was promising (sometimes extremely so), but to me she was always as brittle as hell.

Her career since has basically been a straight decline - I won't say it's in freefall, because it isn't, but she has lost to so many players that she shouldn't have that she might just as well give up now. She obviously has far more important things on her mind that playing good tennis. Look at her record this year:

Brisbane - lost 1st round in three sets to Ludmila Samsonova (ranked 129)
Adelaide - thrashed 1st round by Arina Rodionova (201)
Australian Open - lost 1st round (3 sets) to Zhang Shuai (35)
Acapulco - thumped 1st round by Renata Zarazua (and, for most people here, that's "Who?") (270)
Monterrey - 1st round took 3 sets to beat Emma Navarro, and then beaten in 3 sets by Leylah Fernandez (which should have been straight sets) (126)

One win in six matches, against a player ranked 497.

Humph!!

Registered
To me it's surprising, and that's all that matters for the purpose of this thread ;-)

I think it's also surprising considering the matchup. You're also making Radwanska seem like a player who accomplished a lot less than she did. For most of their careers they were close in rankings and Agnieszka also ended her career with a lot of achievements; Caroline wasn't the most dominant slam winner or #1 of all-time either.
I agree, imagine if Wozniacki didn't get that AO 2016. Radwanska is also the more consistent performer in a longer stretch.
The biggest reason for this H2H to be somewhat confounding is the similar style both are playing.

Registered
Just playing around seeing how far I could go with a "circular streak". It's possible to extend it much further but I got tired. I set two constraints: H2H must be at least +2, and players must only appear once per column. And it must be like:
Player A positive H2H against player B
Player B positive H2H against player C
Player ZZ positive H2H against player A

#coronalockdown #bored

Code:
           Serena Williams 20-2  Maria Sharapova
           Maria Sharapova 13-2  Agnieszka Radwanska
       Agnieszka Radwanska  8-2  Jelena Jankovic
           Jelena Jankovic  6-1  Sabine Lisicki
            Sabine Lisicki  3-0  Karolina Pliskova
         Karolina Pliskova  5-0  Ana Ivanovic
              Ana Ivanovic 11-3  Svetlana Kuznetsova
       Svetlana Kuznetsova 11-4  Daniela Hantuchova
        Daniela Hantuchova  7-0  Yanina Wickmayer
          Yanina Wickmayer  3-0  Monica Puig
               Monica Puig  4-0  Sara Errani
               Sara Errani  9-3  Carla Suarez Navarro
      Carla Suarez Navarro  5-0  Tsvetana Pironkova
        Tsvetana Pironkova  3-1  Venus Williams
            Venus Williams  3-0  Stefanie Voegele
          Stefanie Voegele  5-1  Sloane Stephens
           Sloane Stephens  5-1  Angelique Kerber
          Angelique Kerber  9-2  Madison Keys
              Madison Keys  4-0  Madison Brengle
           Madison Brengle  3-1  Petra Kvitova
             Petra Kvitova  7-2  Elina Svitolina
           Elina Svitolina  5-1  Ashleigh Barty
            Ashleigh Barty  4-0  Marketa Vondrousova
       Marketa Vondrousova  2-0  Simona Halep
              Simona Halep  8-0  Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
  Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova  6-2  Roberta Vinci
             Roberta Vinci  6-1  Timea Babos
               Timea Babos  2-0  Kirsten Flipkens
          Kirsten Flipkens  5-0  Donna Vekic
               Donna Vekic  2-0  Victoria Azarenka
         Victoria Azarenka  6-0  Heather Watson
            Heather Watson  3-1  Sorana Cirstea
            Sorana Cirstea  2-0  Elise Mertens
             Elise Mertens  3-0  Monica Niculescu
          Monica Niculescu  4-0  Yulia Putintseva
          Yulia Putintseva  3-1  Andrea Petkovic
           Andrea Petkovic  3-1  Kiki Bertens
              Kiki Bertens  3-0  Dayana Yastremska
         Dayana Yastremska  3-0  Aryna Sabalenka
           Aryna Sabalenka  3-0  Alison Riske
              Alison Riske  3-0  Qiang Wang
                Qiang Wang  2-0  Johanna Konta
             Johanna Konta  2-0  Anett Kontaveit
           Anett Kontaveit  4-0  Kristina Mladenovic
       Kristina Mladenovic  3-0  Daria Kasatkina
           Daria Kasatkina  4-1  Laura Siegemund
           Laura Siegemund  3-0  Polona Hercog
             Polona Hercog  3-1  Katerina Siniakova
        Katerina Siniakova  5-1  Ons Jabeur
                Ons Jabeur  2-0  Shuai Zhang
               Shuai Zhang  5-0  Magda Linette
             Magda Linette  2-0  Petra Martic
              Petra Martic  2-0  Jelena Ostapenko
          Jelena Ostapenko  4-0  Caroline Wozniacki
        Caroline Wozniacki  7-2  Aliz茅 Cornet
              Aliz茅 Cornet  7-3  Barbora Strycova
          Barbora Strycova  6-1  Caroline Garcia
           Caroline Garcia  5-0  Mirjana Lucic-Baroni
      Mirjana Lucic-Baroni  3-0  Shelby Rogers
             Shelby Rogers  3-0  Naomi Osaka
               Naomi Osaka  4-0  Dominika Cibulkova
        Dominika Cibulkova  5-0  Francesca Schiavone
       Francesca Schiavone  6-2  Flavia Pennetta
           Flavia Pennetta  7-0  Samantha Stosur
           Samantha Stosur  8-3  Vera Zvonareva
            Vera Zvonareva  5-0  Sybille Bammer
            Sybille Bammer  2-0  Serena Williams

Registered
Azarenka-Kerber is 8-1 and Azarenka-Radwa艅ska 13-5. In a way it shows how good Vika was in her prime, but the Kerber record is especially surprising. They had multiple very close, high quality matches and the time Kerber finally won at the AO is truly the match that launched her as a top player.

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
Azarenka-Kerber is 8-1 and Azarenka-Radwa艅ska 13-5. In a way it shows how good Vika was in her prime, but the Kerber record is especially surprising. They had multiple very close, high quality matches and the time Kerber finally won at the AO is truly the match that launched her as a top player.
I actually wasn't that surprised by the Vika/Angie lopsided record. Of course some of their matches could have gone either way, but Vika is the kind of mental giant that can dominate you if she gets into your head. I think that's what happened with Angie after their 2012 Istanbul match. Vika won despite Angie having a match point and I think Angie lost belief in herself being able to beat Vika after that. The tennis is always fun between them but Vika holds the edge mentally and that's a huge hurdle to overcome, much more than forehands and backhands and serves. It speaks to Vika's most underrated quality - her sheer will to win and her mental toughness.

Registered
Discussion Starter #56
Just playing around seeing how far I could go with a "circular streak". It's possible to extend it much further but I got tired. I set two restraints: H2H must be at least +2, and players must only appear once per column.
#coronalockdown #bored

Code:
           Serena Williams 20-2  Maria Sharapova
           Maria Sharapova 13-2  Agnieszka Radwanska
       Agnieszka Radwanska  8-2  Jelena Jankovic
           Jelena Jankovic  6-1  Sabine Lisicki
            Sabine Lisicki  3-0  Karolina Pliskova
         Karolina Pliskova  5-0  Ana Ivanovic
              Ana Ivanovic 11-3  Svetlana Kuznetsova
       Svetlana Kuznetsova 11-4  Daniela Hantuchova
        Daniela Hantuchova  7-0  Yanina Wickmayer
          Yanina Wickmayer  3-0  Monica Puig
               Monica Puig  4-0  Sara Errani
               Sara Errani  9-3  Carla Suarez Navarro
      Carla Suarez Navarro  5-0  Tsvetana Pironkova
        Tsvetana Pironkova  3-1  Venus Williams
            Venus Williams  3-0  Stefanie Voegele
          Stefanie Voegele  5-1  Sloane Stephens
           Sloane Stephens  5-1  Angelique Kerber
          Angelique Kerber  9-2  Madison Keys
              Madison Keys  4-0  Madison Brengle
           Madison Brengle  3-1  Petra Kvitova
             Petra Kvitova  7-2  Elina Svitolina
           Elina Svitolina  5-1  Ashleigh Barty
            Ashleigh Barty  4-0  Marketa Vondrousova
       Marketa Vondrousova  2-0  Simona Halep
              Simona Halep  8-0  Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova
  Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova  6-2  Roberta Vinci
             Roberta Vinci  6-1  Timea Babos
               Timea Babos  2-0  Kirsten Flipkens
          Kirsten Flipkens  5-0  Donna Vekic
               Donna Vekic  2-0  Victoria Azarenka
         Victoria Azarenka  6-0  Heather Watson
            Heather Watson  3-1  Sorana Cirstea
            Sorana Cirstea  2-0  Elise Mertens
             Elise Mertens  3-0  Monica Niculescu
          Monica Niculescu  4-0  Yulia Putintseva
          Yulia Putintseva  3-1  Andrea Petkovic
           Andrea Petkovic  3-1  Kiki Bertens
              Kiki Bertens  3-0  Dayana Yastremska
         Dayana Yastremska  3-0  Aryna Sabalenka
           Aryna Sabalenka  3-0  Alison Riske
              Alison Riske  3-0  Qiang Wang
                Qiang Wang  2-0  Johanna Konta
             Johanna Konta  2-0  Anett Kontaveit
           Anett Kontaveit  4-0  Kristina Mladenovic
       Kristina Mladenovic  3-0  Daria Kasatkina
           Daria Kasatkina  4-1  Laura Siegemund
           Laura Siegemund  3-0  Polona Hercog
             Polona Hercog  3-1  Katerina Siniakova
        Katerina Siniakova  5-1  Ons Jabeur
                Ons Jabeur  2-0  Shuai Zhang
               Shuai Zhang  5-0  Magda Linette
             Magda Linette  2-0  Petra Martic
              Petra Martic  2-0  Jelena Ostapenko
          Jelena Ostapenko  4-0  Caroline Wozniacki
        Caroline Wozniacki  7-2  Aliz茅 Cornet
              Aliz茅 Cornet  7-3  Barbora Strycova
          Barbora Strycova  6-1  Caroline Garcia
           Caroline Garcia  5-0  Mirjana Lucic-Baroni
      Mirjana Lucic-Baroni  3-0  Shelby Rogers
             Shelby Rogers  3-0  Naomi Osaka
               Naomi Osaka  4-0  Dominika Cibulkova
        Dominika Cibulkova  5-0  Francesca Schiavone
       Francesca Schiavone  6-2  Flavia Pennetta
           Flavia Pennetta  7-0  Samantha Stosur
           Samantha Stosur  8-3  Vera Zvonareva
            Vera Zvonareva  5-0  Sybille Bammer
            Sybille Bammer  2-0  Serena Williams
Great list!

Kerber vs. Keys is one that I thought of as well, but I just don't see it as surprising tbh. Angie has an answer to everything Madison does and redirects her pace perfectly. Madison's game plan isn't strategically varied enough to trouble Angie.

Some confusing ones:

Errani vs. CSN
Vondrousova vs. Halep
Halep vs. Pavs
Yastremska vs. Sabalenka
Strycova vs. Garcia
Garcia vs. Lucic-Baroni
Rogers vs. Osaka
Cibulkova vs. Schiavone
Stosur vs. Bepa

Registered
Hantuchova and Schnyder played 19 times!

10-9 to Dani

Safarova v Ivanovic 6-3

Registered
I actually wasn't that surprised by the Vika/Angie lopsided record. Of course some of their matches could have gone either way, but Vika is the kind of mental giant that can dominate you if she gets into your head. I think that's what happened with Angie after their 2012 Istanbul match. Vika won despite Angie having a match point and I think Angie lost belief in herself being able to beat Vika after that. The tennis is always fun between them but Vika holds the edge mentally and that's a huge hurdle to overcome, much more than forehands and backhands and serves. It speaks to Vika's most underrated quality - her sheer will to win and her mental toughness.
Yeah I guess in a way their US Open classic exemplifies that issue. Vika at the time was struggling physically and mentally, while Kerber hadn't exactly been playing her best that year either, but had generally been more consistent and was higher ranked than Vika meaning she was in a strong position to finally get a win. Both had opportunities to finish it sooner, but I believe Kerber had leads in the third set before Vika ended up being too strong. That year Kerber kept being involved in phenomenal matches, but absolutely no one saw her as a future slam winner and number one, and losing that US Ooen match sort of summed up why. How quickly things changed though and finally beating Vika at the next slam (with incredible clutchness no less) totally changed things for her.

Kerber-Stephens is a weird one to me. I guess it's a relatively bad matchup for Kerber and mental issues compound that problem, but it's very strangely one sided given the two's careers.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts