Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely ever start threads, but im just kinda curious to hear some of your opinions on this.

Ive been an avid tennis fan back since 2001, but started watching all the time since 2004. Whats been interesting for me to see is that its been mainly the same playing field, the same top players, the same grandlam favorites, the same everything. But its 5 years later, and this older eneration is getting older obviously. lol. Looking at the current ranks many up and coming players are making their debut as the new generation of players. Its probably only a matter of perhaps two years until the current top ranked are wiped out. I dunno how I feel about this. Ive been watching the same players play year in and year out. With only a few added new additions a year. Its odd to me. Im not really passionate about any of the new young stars. I fear once they come into dominance then ill stop caring about tennis. Im trying to have faith that I can like some of these new stars but im just not sure I can. I guess what im trying to ask is how do all of you feel about new favorites ccoming up and will you be able to accept it when your current favorites of the past few years are done.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Well my all time fave was Martina Navratilova, so its not been the same for me since she retired. THen she made the doubles comeback which was just amazing and such a bonus.. But this is where you find out whether you actually have an appreciation for the sport of tennis, or whether you just were a fan of a few top players that you began to follow back in 2001.

If you are a real fan of the sport of tennis, you keep following it and find new players to support with each new generation. Its never the same as your initial fave, but its still definitely worth it if you really enjoy the game of tennis. After a while you follow it for long enough that you can compare different players of different generations and compare times when the tour was strong and times when it was weaker etc.. its all fascinating..

Reactions: John.

·
Registered
52,357 Posts
If you are a real fan of the sport of tennis, you keep following it and find new players to support with each new generation. Its never the same as your initial fave, but its still definitely worth it if you really enjoy the game of tennis. After a while you follow it for long enough that you can compare different players of different generations and compare times when the tour was strong and times when it was weaker etc.. its all fascinating..
Exactly. Well put.

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
You'll adjust. :)

I think the problem is that the current (WS/JCap/Henin/Momo..) generation came through quite young and (some) have stayed around a long time, add to that that the generation above them (Graf/Seles...) retired fairly early, then the next generation (Ana/Tati/Nicole/Masha) so far really haven't got their act together (to the extent that the generation after them Caro/Alizé/Aga may pass them before they peak).

So the current generation has dominated for a long time. So we've got used to that.

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my all time fave was Martina Navratilova, so its not been the same for me since she retired. THen she made the doubles comeback which was just amazing and such a bonus.. But this is where you find out whether you actually have an appreciation for the sport of tennis, or whether you just were a fan of a few top players that you began to follow back in 2001.

See I think that is part of my problem. Ive been watching the same players for the last 5 years. I dont want change. I want them to play forever. lol I only give players like Venus and Serena, Elena, Svetlana, even Jelena like 2 years.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Maybe you should be more open minded about upcoming new generation of players. I'm sure you can find a few youngster to like and gradually see them advancing to that tempting #1 spot. You have to be a soldier first before getting to a general rank.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
but I agree with you in some sense... ones Williams sisters would retire many of their current fans would disappear from this board.

·
36,371 Posts
you may think it would be difficult to find someone to pull for once your favorites retire but once it happens it would probably be easier.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
but I agree with you in some sense... ones Williams sisters would retire many of their current fans would disappear from this board.
Then they aren't tennis fans, they're Williams sisters fans. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.:))
But if you're a tennis fan, just go with the flow. I've been a tennis fan for 40 years; I miss the old players and appreciate the new ones. It's all good, enjoy!:wavey:

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
I always follow tennis, but there's definitely a huge variation in passion. I loved Ashe (I was very young at the time and had no idea of how important he was--to me, he was a tall, kind of skinny guy who wore glasses and used big words, which was very important when you were a tall, skinny guy who wore glasses and used big words and were desperately trying to find a sport at which you did not suck), the Navratilova, then Mecir and Bassett, then Martin, but I never, ever really had the kind of passion I felt for Ashe and Navratilova. I thought it was old age and maturity, until I caught some highlights of a Gold Medal match in Sydney between my then sort of fave Venus and this kind of goofy cute, blond-banged Russian kid...

Well, the moral of the story is never say never.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
But if you're a tennis fan, just go with the flow. I've been a tennis fan for 40 years; I miss the old players and appreciate the new ones. It's all good, enjoy!:wavey:

I am the same way. I love tennis and always keep my eyes open for new and talented players.

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Check the player forums;)

You can find new players to support.

I'm not saying Eugenie Bouchard, Laura Robson, or Petra Uberalova. You don't have to go that young;)
Try the Vika/Caro/Alize/Aga/Carla generation. Also, iPatty's thread is really good.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
yeah cuz most of us only have the WS as our favs :weirdo: i mean everyone else is here for the sport MINUS the WS fans :rolleyes: i guess we could say the same about u once all the players in ur siggy retire ur going away :weirdo: oh wait, ur not a WS fan therefore ur here for the sport so that wouldn't happen ...

anyway ... the problem with the sport is that today ppl are watching matches just cuz this and that player is playing instead of appreciating the sport.
there are alot of new upcoming stars as well , wta is just adjusting right now (same happend with ATP)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
It's kind of :scared: to me that Wozniacki, Radwanska, Cornet are the next generation. I find these players so boring to watch. I like Caroline's personality, but that's about all I like about the new generation. They all seem like pushers. Azarenka isn't a pusher, but she isn't amazing by any means. The even younger generation, MLDB and Robson also lack something. MLDB is one dimensional and Robson I think will lack the athleticism and movement to ever truly be a great. There seem to be no Serena Venus like players coming up.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Seems there are a lot more Russians posting here and a lot fewer Belgians since when I first started...

...Williams fans just "keep on keeping on".

FYI - I've been playing and following tennis since before Venus and Serena were born and I LOVE the Williams Sisters!!!

:dance:

The game is just fine and will continue to be fine* as long as there are a few women willing to play good attacking tennis. :cool:

I still remember when there was no one to root for other than Gabby and ASV if you didn't care for Graf, now that was when the tour was in the pits.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
It's kind of :scared: to me that Wozniacki, Radwanska, Cornet are the next generation. I find these players so boring to watch. I like Caroline's personality, but that's about all I like about the new generation. They all seem like pushers. Azarenka isn't a pusher, but she isn't amazing by any means. The even younger generation, MLDB and Robson also lack something. MLDB is one dimensional and Robson I think will lack the athleticism and movement to ever truly be a great. There seem to be no Serena Venus like players coming up.
I feel the same way, sadly. These new crop of girls does nothing for me. Dull as hell. Dull games, and all choke-artists which to me is even worse. Trash Big Masha if you want, but can you imagine any of today's girls walking out on Center Court at 17 at Wimbledon and trashing Serena in straight sets in a final? No. Dull game, no guts, and no one hits like a Justine or an Amelie either. There's just not much I'm seeing right now.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
they seem to blossom their tennis later unlike Venus ,Serena and Maria. i guess that it all depends of the kind of tennis u like, (i hate the word pushers to me only players like Smashnova , Panova etc... are/were pushers) if it's more attacking or more of a mix.
i think it's going to be really interesting to see how their tennis will develop (even though it's hard to see them as a threat to win a GS).
the Champion mentality is something that basicly 90% of the tour is lacking and imo that's what's hurting/going to hurt WTA

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
they seem to blossom their tennis later unlike Venus ,Serena and Maria. i guess that it all depends of the kind of tennis u like, (i hate the word pushers to me only players like Smashnova , Panova etc... are/were pushers) if it's more attacking or more of a mix.
i think it's going to be really interesting to see how their tennis will develop (even though it's hard to see them as a threat to win a GS).
the Champion mentality is something that basicly 90% of the tour is lacking and imo that's what's hurting/going to hurt WTA
Maybe they're not pushers, but they don't do anything exceptionally well. There's nothing entertaining about their games.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I've been following tennis for some time (ca 15 years) and my interest level while never zero tends to increase or decrease according to fortunes of my favorite players... I don't know if this new generation will be exceptional, but hopefully they can provide some happy moments...

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
Maybe they're not pushers, but they don't do anything exceptionally well. There's nothing entertaining about their games.
i see what you mean but i'm really interested on seeing what they can come up with (Caroline more so then the others though :lol:). Hopefully they will get coaches that will take their tennis to a whole new lvl, they are still young so just hang in there u might start to like one of them :hug:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts