Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a little info I got from Larson Tennis News. Apparently, Conchita refused to allow the match to be rescheduled. Ironically, her match was played on Tuesday anyway.

Misery Loves Company.... Agassi wasn't the only one. A few hours after the men's #3 seed pulled out, the women's #5, Serena Williams, also withdrew. Serena, who had hurt her ankle playing Meghann Shaughnessy on Friday, reportedly had requested that her match be rescheduled for Tuesday rather than Monday, but opponent Conchita Martinez was unwilling. (We should note that there has been no official confirmation of this.) Serena, who had had to withdraw from the Shaughnessy match, had to withdraw from the Australian Open as well.

In the light of the decision to replace Agassi with a Lucky Loser, it is curious to note that tournament officials decided to promote a seed on the women's side, meaning that Lina Krasnoroutskaya became the #33 seed and took Serena's place. (Could it be that they were trying to express their displeasure with Martinez? We don't know. Ironically, having reshaped the draw, they ended up having to postpone the Martinez/Krasnoroutskaya match from Monday until Tuesday, because Krasnoroutskaya needed time to prepare.) Krasnoroutskaya's place in the draw is taken by Lucky Loser Pavlina Nola.

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Thanks for posting this here, Williams_Rulez. I wouldn't be surprised if Conchita refused to have the match moved. After all, moving the match meant her chances of beating her decreased.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Tine said:
Thanks for posting this here, Williams_Rulez. I wouldn't be surprised if Conchita refused to have the match moved. After all, moving the match meant her chances of beating her decreased.
Not only that - we must also take into consideration that Conchita would then voluntarily have agreed to play two days in a row, in case she had won the match vs. Serena. (This turns out to be the case anyway, but is irrelevant when trying to understand her unwillingness to postpone).

It seriously hampers Conchita's chances of success in the Australian Open to lose a rest day in the beginning of the tournament. Those old Spanish legs don't recuperate as well as they used to.

There is really no reason why she should create problems for herself just because an opponent fails to be ready when the tournament commences.

I fully understand her decision. I suppose the organizers didn't mention this fact - if it indeed is so - to protect her from criticism.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Well, it's Conchita's right to refuse the request, and I don't hold anything against her for it.

Sure, Sandrine allowed Jen an extra day in Munich, but it's down to the person's choice. She is in no way obliged.

...and even if they had played on the Tuesday, doesn't look like Serena would have been ok by then. She said she could stop-and-start on the ankle, so I doubt that would have healed.

What it does do is let Oz Open authorities off the hook.

·
Banned
19,528 Posts
i dont think its that true but if it is, i understand Conchita's decision. A match needs preparation, and its not the same for Conchita to prepare a match against Lina than against Serena. On monday Conchita had prepared a match againt Serena, and she had to change mind to play a different player as Lina in just one day. So why she has to change again and play Serena?? Its not Conchita's fault that Serena withdrew and its not Conchita's fault that the match had to be postponed till Tuesday. Conchita is only making her job and there are no reason to Conchita get crazy with the organization changing her rival each day. And of course all if this is true, cause i think that Conchita agreed when Serena asked for a day off and were organization and not Conchita which didnt let Serena play on Tuesday.

Anyway glad Conchita is in 2nd round ¡Vamos!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Interesting that everyone is up in arms about this, and yet when we find out it was Martinez who stopped the rescheduling everyone is OK about it now!?! :p

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Mark,

if Conchita doesn't want to play on tuedsay, that's fine.

But if the Oz Open says they can't play tuedsay, when they've made exceptions for other players (like it worked for Lleyton :rolleyes: ), some posters will be 'up in arms.

There is a difference. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I was okay about it all along.

As an organizer, I would probably have turned the request down even without asking Martinez.

Since

a) It's clearly a disadvantage to the opponent - Martinez. (Unless she harbored an injury herself and was desperate for more recovery time).

b) You put her on the spot if she turns down the request - which may cause her to agree reluctantly to avoid the scorn of the public.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It's her right- even if it is true.

Vamos Conchi!

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
- - We should note that there has been no official confirmation of this - -

But they still publish it?

sounds like an "overheard in the men's toilet" kind of news ;)

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
If it is even true, I don't blame Conchita. I don't think she wanted to play 2 days in a row in singles and doubles too.

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
They probably 'assumed' that the reason for not giving Serena an extra day was Conchita's refusal. Serena is a high profile player so it's impossible to think that the organisers wouldn't grant her request, in other words, Conchita must be behind it. I don't believe it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts