Tennis Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
43,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conchita Martinez Shows Stomach for a Fight
Wed Sep 10,12:17 PM ET Add Sports - Reuters to My Yahoo!

BALI, Indonesia (Reuters) - Spanish third seed Conchita Martinez (news) overcame a stomach upset as well as opponent Arantxa Parra in a 6-1, 7-6 first round victory at the Wismilak International Wednesday.

Martinez, last year's losing finalist, was totally in charge against her compatriot in the first set but struggled in the second as she began to feel unwell.

The tournament doctor attended her on court before the tiebreak but Martinez recovered to sneak it 7-5.

Meanwhile top seed Chanda Rubin and number two Elena Dementieva eased through to the quarter-finals.

Rubin of the United States beat Spain's Maria Sanchez Lorenzo 6-2, 6-2 in her second round match and Russian Dementieva claimed a 6-4, 6-1 win over German qualifier Anna-Lena Groenefeld.

Home favorite Angelique Widjaja fought back from 5-3 down in the final set to defeat Russia's Dinara Safina 7-6, 4-6, 7-5 in a rain-interrupted first round match.

"In the past I have often been up in the match, but then I lost. This time I thought I had lost, but I won," said Widjaja.

In other second round matches Wednesday Germany's Anca Barna upset eighth-seeded South Korean Cho Yoon-jeong 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 and Saori Obata of Japan thrashed Austria's Barbara Schett 6-1, 6-1.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.