Tennis Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AAAARRRRGGHHH - I HATE this result! what is up with the marquess of monzon lately?? after 7 months out injured she has lost to brandi, asa carlsson and now emilie loit?? yet she has beaten dementieva and krasnoroutskaya!! maybe, she just needs match practice, but as a big fan - its killing me seeing her lose these matches - and i cannot believe she is 38 in the world. GET BACK TO YOUR BEST SOON CONCHI - WE ALL BELIEVE IN YOU!

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Maybe it's time for her to retire... She used to be a top player, but now she's just a mediocre top-50 player...
What was her last good result? Reaching the QF at Wimbledon last year.

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
"mediocre top-50 player"

This is the list of all the "mediocre top-50 players" that made the QF at Wimbledon 2001:

Conchita Martinez
Justine Henin
Jennifer Capriati
Serena Williams
Kim Clijsters
Lindsay Davenport
Nathalie Tauziat
Venus Williams

I am sure all the rest of "mediocre top-50 players" in the WTA would dread to be included in such a list.

Conchita has had a great carreer, one that deserves respect. And not only is she an exceptionally talented player, she's also always been a person worthy or respect. I do not know if she wishes to remain on tour, but if she does, the good results will come, as they always do when you have the talent and class she has.

·
creo en la diosa ♥ Sveta ♥
67,911 Posts
This is sad news to read.But i don't think she should retire.I think she can still make good things on tennis.And i prefer much to watch her play than most of these youngsters that suposedly are higher ranked than her.
Yes,go Conchita!We still believe in you.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I was cringing and gnashing my teeth at this result also. I know it will improve for her, she is, after all, Conchita, and Conchita will rise again. It's just a question of when. I hope it's soon.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
Oh my,How sad....Better luck next time Conchita.:sad:

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
Krasnoroutskaya should be stricken from that list...she was up a set and a break, en route to an easy win (and the quarterfinals) until she turned her ankle... :sad:

Martinez (and Sanchez) have been slowly slumping for two years now, and Conchi's injury surely hasn't helped to reverse that trend.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's that win over dementieva that is so impressive, considering she reached the final in honk kong the week before (losing 1/6 6/4 6/4 to JenCap), so the talent is still there. i think she needs a good run of wins, remember this time last year she lost 4 out of 5 first round matches, before her year really kicked off getting to the semis in charleston and rome (both tier 1's) and the quarters of wimbledon before that achilles tendon flared up! i'm confident about the next few months!! VAMOS

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Conchita should be able to bounce back. Don't count her out just yet.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts