Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this problem on an IT forum but haven't gotten advice that has helped yet...

Upgraded an HP Pavillion 6475z to Win2k from Win98. The Rockwell Riptide sound/modem PCI combo card would not work on Win2k. After searching the web and dealing with HP tech support, I found there was no sound driver available for this card that would work with Win2k.

So I went ahead and bought a new sound card (a $20 cheapie from CompUSA). I uninstalled the combo card and installed the new PCI sound card in its place. The driver installed off the cd without error and device manager claims the device is functioning properly. However, there still is no sound produced. What could be wrong?

I checked the obvious things like making sure the speakers are plugged into "audio OUT", making sure mute isn't selected, etc. There's no onboard audio settings to be dealt with in BIOS. Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
though i have dealed with a lot of comp problem i haven't come to this one so i'm clueless...sorry, hope someone else knows:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chiara_ridolfi said:
Have you made sure the new soundcard is set as default in Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio ?
I'm not sure if I checked that, but I'm 95% certain the new soundcard is the only audio device available, since I successfully removed the old card. I really do appreciate the help. I'll check it out as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
wuneyej said:
I'm not sure if I checked that, but I'm 95% certain the new soundcard is the only audio device available, since I successfully removed the old card. I really do appreciate the help. I'll check it out as soon as I get home.
well if ur motherboard has a sound card too then it's not the only one, is it?;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sophie_Angel said:
well if ur motherboard has a sound card too then it's not the only one, is it?;)
well I guess you got me there. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts