Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As we all know, Cliffy makes all sorts of mistakes when doing commentary. Most notably, he mistook Venus with Serena, which I find hypocritical since he loves them to death. While it's true that Cliffy introduces the tennis game to non-tennis fans, it's very ironic that his commentary has confused even tennis fans. I find it unacceptable that non-tennis fans are being fed with misinformation from this guy.

Click here to send a complaint: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

I also took the liberty to record some notes regarding his commentary during the BL Champs final between Nadia and Golovin:

"don't try this at home, but can you predict where golovin's forehand is trying to go? i've never been able to predict where it's going these last few games."

If you don't want us to try this at home, then why are you asking us to predict where her forehand is going :confused:

"the only person who can win against golovin is herself."
:help:

"the two things that could happen is that petrova could swing from her hips and go for it, or golovin could get tight."
What?

"i think she'll go all the way and i'd be surprised if she wasn't a top 10 in the next 12 months"
As usual, when a player wins a title, Cliffy goes over the top and tries to overpredict.

"i think this (the win) will affect her career in a positive way"
No kidding Cliffy! She's gonna be affected in such a negative way that she won't play again!:tape:

---------------------------------------

More from today's match between Venus and Jankovic:

"You don't think that venus has the same (amount of spin as jankovic)?" To which Mary Jo says, "absolutely not." Later on, Cliff says, "She (venus) doesn't spin it (serve) in either. She whacks first and second serve. it's risky."
Absent-mindedness :help:

"Very often you see these gladiators finish each other out."

Discussing about favorites at the French Open: "What about Serena?" Then Mary Jo replies, "What about serena?" Cliff, as usual, inquisitively asks Mary Jo, "Is she not a favorite?"

"This match is grand slam; Mary Jo this is really good - watch this!"

"Jankovic is looking at the expression of defeat - just a little bit."

"This is a very beautiful tournament. I would say that this tournament is equal to the tournament at key biscane."
WTF? Key Biscane is so much bigger and Charleston has a small, tight-knit community feel.

"It's nice to see the commitment from both of them isn't it. It's almost like Jankovic is saying look I'm gonna lose this one, but I'm going to go down fighting."
First of all, those tennis players are out there battling each other; obviously there must be a high level of commitment involved. Second, Jankovic would not want to think she's going to lose the match.

"...error off the forehand side from SERENA!!!"
Oh my god and then he corrects himself, "Or i should say venus loses it" This was at break point 2-3. This happened yesterday too and in Bausch and Lomb Championships.

"I mean she fell over her whole body rather than her ankle which is great - i mean because she could've hurt herself badly."

Wrong choice of word. No one is going to feel "great" when someone falls over.

"There are only nine tier 1 tournaments in the women's tour, outside of the grand slams and they earn the highest prize money - and they enjoy a special place in the women's tour"

Redundant point.

MJ: venus has so much power and strength. Cliff then says, "and timing!"
(On the next point, Venus doesn't time her shot properly.) :tape:

MJ: well the level's gone up again (at 2-1 in third set) Cliff says, "yes, good point!"
Oh my lord.

"Players panic in this situation (at 5 all in third set)"
MJ: not everybody panics cliff!
Well said MJ!

"The crowd is watching every swing" MJ: well every swing matters

In sum this match shows yet again the redundancy that Cliff makes in his commentary. Not only did he confuse Venus with Serena for the 10000th time, but he also tries to seek validation and questions from Mary Jo constantly. One example is when he was talking about the men's claycourt championships being held at this tournament. He then mentions all the existing clay court events and asks Mary Jo what "the other one is." Also, what is his obsession with calling out BREAKPOINTS!!! It was as if he had an orgasm every time that word is mentioned. He also repeated the Venus backhand demo from yesterday's coverage. In my opinion, he must ANALYZE the match like Mary Jo does so well, and not make mistakes and bore tennis fans with his comments.

·
Banned
30,774 Posts
Re: Complain about Cliff Drysdale

Please leave Cliffy alone. He had no mal intent regarding Venus and Serena. It was an honest slip of the tongue...a mistake. It's not like he has done it over and over in every single WS match. Besides, he's very knowledgeable about tennis and very objective. That's refreshing in a tennis commentator.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts

Cliff is great.

·
Premium Member
19,825 Posts

Please leave Cliff alone, that man means no harm. If you wan't to start a campaign against someone Mary Carillo is a perfect candidate. Cliff has been slipping up lately but he's such a pleasant commentator. :worship:

·
Registered
10,553 Posts

I think you'd be better served in launching a campaign against, oh..., say...,

Patrick Macenroe

Mary Carillo

Pam Shriver

Pat Cash

Brad Gilbert

Chris Evert

Martina Navritilova

ect, ext...,

·
Registered
33,068 Posts

Please leave Cliffy alone. He had no mal intent regarding Venus and Serena. It was an honest slip of the tongue...a mistake. It's not like he has done it over and over in every single WS match. Besides, he's very knowledgeable about tennis and very objective. That's refreshing in a tennis commentator.
Sorry Denise but it's getting worse. He was better today than yesterday. He said someone was teasing him and was counting the number of times he called Venus, Serena. I must admit, it's getting a tad bit annoying.

BTW, it's not something I want to get him in trouble for but he needs to get the names right.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts

People complain too much...get a life.
That's what I'm saying, some are just letting life pass them by.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Cliffy's nothing compared to Dick Enberg- continually saying the wrong scores, confusing the players, interjecting his annoying catch phrase every chance he gets.

Cliffy's my favorite commentator.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts

Cliffy's nothing compared to Tim Ryan- continually saying the wrong scores, confusing the players, interjecting his annoying catch phrase every chance he gets.

Cliffy's my favorite commentator.
:worship:

·
Registered
10,842 Posts

As we all know, Cliffy makes all sorts of mistakes when doing commentary. Most notably, he mistook Venus with Serena, which I find hypocritical since he loves them to death. While it's true that Cliffy introduces the tennis game to non-tennis fans, it's very ironic that his commentary has confused even tennis fans. I find it unacceptable that non-tennis fans are being fed with misinformation from this guy.

Click here to send a complaint: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

I also took the liberty to record some notes regarding his commentary during the BL Champs final between Nadia and Golovin:

"don't try this at home, but can you predict where golovin's forehand is trying to go? i've never been able to predict where it's going these last few games."

If you don't want us to try this at home, then why are you asking us to predict where her forehand is going :confused:

"the only person who can win against golovin is herself."

"the two things that could happen is that petrova could swing from her hips and go for it, or golovin could get tight."

What?

"i think she'll go all the way and i'd be surprised if she wasn't a top 10 in the next 12 months"

As usual, when a player wins a title, Cliffy goes over the top and tries to overpredict.

"i think this (the win) will affect her career in a positive way"

No kidding Cliffy! She's gonna be affected in such a negative way that she won't play again!:tape:
Quit freaking bellyaching sheesh. If you don't like it than watch it on mute for crying out loud.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts

something tells me this isn't the reaction the thread started wanted lol.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts

who cares???

Reactions: Craigy

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

Leave the the ol' South African alone ! He's getting old so he's gonna make a few mistakes ! hehe
When I do watch matches commentated by him, he is great

·
Registered
591 Posts

cliffy = the best... he's like a south african tim ryan, whom i hope espn resigns to do slam coverage this summer.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Cliff is awesome!

·
Registered
17,358 Posts

Cliff Drysdale is 65 years old and has slipped a bit in recent years as ESPN2's lead play by play man. But he's been so good over the years and I've enjoyed him so much I'm willing to accept his being more mistake prone than he used to be. I recall first hearing Cliff Drysdale as an ESPN tennis commentator in the mid 1980's and he was the color analyst while Jim Simpson was the play by play man for ESPN. Maybe it's time for Cliff to return to the analysts role at certain tennis events so he can limit his mistakes. I have no doubts the verbose and intelligent Patrick John McEnroe could handle the play by play duties solidly while Drysdale does the color commentary.

By the way my favorite Cliff Drysdale saying over the years has been "Tighter than a drum"!. ;)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts