Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maria, Justine Sign Up For Acura Classic

April 24, 2007

Justine Henin and Maria Sharapova, currently Nos. 1 and 2 in the WTA Tour's rankings, have entered the Acura Classic, scheduled July 28-Aug. 5 at the La Costa Resort and Spa, the tournament announced yesterday.

Sharapova, who turned 20 on April 19, is the current Acura champion. She defeated Kim Clijsters in the 2006 final 7-5, 7-5. Henin has played at La Costa just once, in 2003, when she also bested Clijsters in the final 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.
The players are the first whose entries have been confirmed for the tournament, which is being held for the 24th and final time. Promotion Sports, Inc. has sold the event – a $1.34 million, Tier I event on the WTA Tour – to the WTA.

Said Raquel Giscafre, a Promotion Sports officer: “We're really looking forward to the excitement both Maria and Justine are sure to bring to La Costa. Both players have become superstars in every sense of the word and their competitive spirit will undoubtedly raise the level of play of the entire field.”

Sharapova has won two Grand Slam championships – Wimbledon in 2004 and the U.S. Open last year. Henin is a five-time Grand Slam titlist, having captured the French Open three times (in 2003, 2005 and 2006), plus taking the Australian Open in 2004 and the U.S. Open in 2003. Last year the Belgian woman reached the finals in all four Grand Slam tournaments.

– JERRY MAGEE

·
Registered
12,421 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
wow

serena play
cincinati
stanford
san diego

good

·
-
26,864 Posts
Michaella Krajicek has commited for this event :)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I'm not holding my breath to see Justine playing there until she says so after Wimbledon, or better, I see her name in the draw. I think she's commited in 2005 and 2006 and ended up withdrawing. In 2005 she had a knee injury and last year she took the time to recover from the RG, Eastbourne and Wimbledon finals, I think. Can't exactly remember.

It's a shame. I hope she's indeed there this year and wins it! She won the last year it was held as a Tier II, so it'd be nice to see her lift the tournament's last trophy as Tier I as well. :p

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Should be amazing if everyone can show......too bad this is the last year in San Diego.

·
Premium Member
182,033 Posts
top 3
and basically everyone down from 6-50 (a few missing)

Tammy is last entrant at #55

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Argentinian players here?

·
Vamorza!
46,227 Posts
Argentinian players here?
Dulko - MD
Cravero - 2nd Alt.
Salerni - 19th Alt.
Suarez - 26th Alt.

Venus is here I am hoping?
Yes.

chakhnashvili?
Not here.

Petkovic,Schruff as MDO,unlikely to play here.

Kerber - Quali (priority 1)
Arn - Quali
Kloesel - Quali

Barrois - 8th Alt. (priority 1)
Bachmann - 25th Alt.
Woerle - 52nd Alt.
Henke - 58th Alt.
Carmen - 72nd Alt.

others too down

1 - 20 of 117 Posts