Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from Belgian Teletext. I "tried" to translate it....

Kim : "I’m stay who I am, whatever may happen!"

By beating Lindsay Davenport with 6-3 and 6-3, Kim clijsters is again one step closer from reaching the top spot on the WTA-rankings.

The same for Justine, who defeated the young revelation Svetlana Kuznetsova with 6-1 and 6-3. Sundaynight, the Belgians will play the final.

“Whatever may happen, I’m staying who I am” said the 20-year old Clijsters.
“If I become the number 1 or not, my personality will not change!” When Clijsters the final wins and also performs well at Los Angeles, she will follow up Serena Williams as the number 1.

(Remark: even “if” Clijsters wins against Justine, she may fall in the first round at LA and still be the new number 1…)

Kim : “It’s a pity for Serena

Kim Clijsters says it’s too bad Serena is injured and cannot participate at the US-Open.

“You don’t wish any person to be injured, especially Serena not. What she did for Women Tennis is amazing. I know well enough what it feels like when you aren’t able to play because it happened to myself last year with my shoulder. She is also the defending champion at the US-Open, what makes it twice as bad. It must be really hard for her”

Lindsay: “Nobody who spread the balls better!”

Lindsay Davenport was a little bit upset after her loss against Clijsters.
“Nobody who can find all those angles so good, like Kim does. It looks like she’s playing a game with you: she leaves you behind desperately”

Clijsters responded with a feeling for understatement. “You could say Davenport felt she had to do something more, that she should have come up with some better strokes”
“Ah, it’s just a case of bringing back each ball and to surprise her with the fact you really keep returning the balls”

Justine : “Clijsters is the favourite!”

Justine Henin-Hardenne did received less attention of the press-agency Reuters than Clijsters, but she didn’t hide her.

Henin-Hardenne reached the final by beating 1 of the many Russian talents, the 18-year old Svetlana Kuznetsova. Henin was very aggressive en could count on her real strong forehand and one-handed backhand.

“Clijsters is the favourite: she plays very well and will be the number one very soon. But I have much self-confidence and also more and more experience. Who is mentally the strongest will win. I expect a really hard-fought match”

·
Banned
1,830 Posts
Clijsters :worship: :hearts:

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
Kim is a great example of a player whos been frustrated by injury but come back even better. IMO last year was destined to be like this year for her b4 her arm strain put her on the back foot...i hope she makes the #1 her own until Serenas 100% again ;)

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
kim :bowdown: :worship: :kiss:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Does anybody REALLY believe kim when she says she's dissapointed by serena's withdrawal?

She knows more than anyone what it means : her unique chance to win the us open and get to the number 1 ranking.

As classy her comments are( and they are INDEED very classy ), everybody should know what she really thinks!....and realise that she handles the press better than any other player.

Sorry but i just can't stand all those die-hard kim fans who cannot say anything but " kim is soooo nice".

but i'm still a kim fan!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
minboy said:
Does anybody REALLY believe kim when she says she's dissapointed by serena's withdrawal?

She knows more than anyone what it means : her unique chance to win the us open and get to the number 1 ranking.

As classy her comments are( and they are INDEED very classy ), everybody should know what she really thinks!....and realise that she handles the press better than any other player.

Sorry but i just can't stand all those die-hard kim fans who cannot say anything but " kim is soooo nice".

but i'm still a kim fan!
I think in a way she's happy that Serena doesn't compete at the US-Open because of course her chances of winning it are now a lot higher...

But I think Kim isn't lying when she's says she's disappointed also. She wants to be the number 1 but not for free. She would prefer to do that by beating the best players and the best player will remain Serena even if Kim takes that 1 spot after LA next week....

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before Kim crashes like Dokic did. Kim is playing way too much.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Kim sure is all class. I'm quite proud of her and think that she'll be an excellent #1 player. Good luck Kim!!!! :)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Justine :hearts: :drool:

Useless post, but I'm almost at 5000 so :p

Reactions: SJW

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
I think any player and I don't care who it is would feel a sigh of relief if there top rival, especially if it's a rival they have a hard time beating on court, was not gonna be in a tournament if the top ranking was at stake.

So if Kim is actually thinking that big friggen deal.......However, Kim does strike me as a player who wants the competition. Just because Serena will not be at the Open does not mean Kim will cakewalk to the title.

Whatever happens for Kim in the next month though, she will deserve it.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Elite athletes actually want to compete against the best. It is their only challenge, and the best way to improve is to compete against the best.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
per4ever said:
I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before Kim crashes like Dokic did. Kim is playing way too much.
i too think shes playing too much but i dont think she'll crash like Dokic. i hope after this season she sits still for a few days straight cos shes gotta be fatigued.

the other thing is shes risking another serious injury :(

·
Registered
839 Posts
I don't think kim playing that much will affect her physically. After all on average she spends less than an hour in a match. That is much less demanding than a couple of hours of practice and/or physical exercise. She cannot be compared to Dokic either who's drop is more due to mental stress than to physical overexercion.
I hope though she will take a break before the US Open in order to stay mentally sharp. But I am sure her coach knows that too :)

Go KIM Go

1 - 16 of 16 Posts