Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
37,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard can it be to say "see-eh"? Not one of them pronounces it properly. :SNE:

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Isn't it more like "shee-eh"? Crude English speaker's approximation, of course :lol:

·
Registered
6,012 Posts

Type it into Google translate and have Google read it out to you.

How would you type that in Latin characters. :lol:

Wade-Giles types it out 'Hsieh', Pinyin types it out as 'Xie'.

I would pronounce "ssheh" as a closer approximation rather than SHAY, in my North American English accent.

It is a single syllable though.

·
Registered
15,468 Posts
it's taiwanese romanization of xie, the same sound as xie xie (thank you). i don't think it's an easy sound to make for people who grew up learning western languages

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
it's taiwanese romanization of xie, the same sound as xie xie (thank you). i don't think it's an easy sound to make for people who grew up learning western languages
Western tongues are too heavy to pronounce it the way Taiwanese do. Shay su-way is the closest we can get.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It's more like Shye [ɕjê] and e at the end of words in English is always pronounced ei/ey just like cafe so you end up with Shyey or dropping the first y Shey. That e sound even without the tone doesn't even exist in most English dialects although it does exist in Australian English but even so Australians still convert e at the end of a word to ei/ey.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

·
Registered
18,959 Posts
Yeah (which is what Hsieh actually rhymes with). Not that I expect most commentators to know how to pronounce it.

Just think of the word "share" but without the elongated r end.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Yeah (which is what Hsieh actually rhymes with). Not that I expect most commentators to know how to pronounce it.

Just think of the word "share" but without the elongated r end.
This right here, someone should send this to a couple of these commentators. It's really not that hard once you get used to it, but first they need to at least try and say it the right way.

·
Registered
37,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's also wrong.
By the same standard they pronounce pretty much every non-English name wrong. I was talking about not butchering it in a ridiculous way ("Shay").

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Even Courtney Nguyen gets it wrong and she's Asian

Yes, bc Asians speak one language, so it is surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
37,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
See-eh is probably the wrongest way you could pronounce this name
Do you even know how those things are pronounced in English?

See-eh is wrong in the sense that it's more like she-eh, Shay is way worse because it completely messes up with the vowels.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts