Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article on ESPN.com about their match today, and this paragraph really stuck out to me. I just want to give Maresmo props on her compassion, definitley a classy gal!!!

"It's a really strange way to end the tournament, but of course I'm very happy to win this title,'' said Mauresmo, who lost to Williams in the 2002 U.S. Open semifinals. "I had never beaten Venus before, and even though I lost the first set I felt I was playing well. I hope for Venus that she recovers quickly.''

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i think she is giving herself credit when it isn't due. she said "Ihad never beaten Venus before". although this counts as a win she didn't really beat venus. she was on her way to beating venus but she didn't actually beat her.

i'm not trying to cause trouble or anything, but i guess players do this sort of thing so that they can keep their confidence level up.

congrats on the title mauresmo.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I can see where someone could get that, I just thought it was cool that she was like "hey, get better soon..." There's always talk about who is gracious/polite and who isnt, so when I read it I thought I'd put it out there.... :)

Reactions: Linnie

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
It is always sad when a player has to retire from a match! Mauresmo has had the worst luck with injuries and it is nice to see her get thru a tourny and win it. One of her dreams has been to beat a williams and she has accomplished that. A win is a win regardless! Congrats Momo!
Get well Vee and kick some serious butt in Paris :D

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
It was really nice of Momo to wish Vee a speedy recovery. Congrats on the win, Momo! and Get well soon Venus!

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
OK, that was nice but isn't that what a HUMAN would do? Wish their opponent well. Maybe it's because it's sport and the humanity is often times absent due to competiveness that Momo is getting props but if they worked in an office together and Venus fell down a flight of stairs, I'm sure anyone would say 'I hope you get well soon.' Then again, maybe it's the piss-ass comments from Wimby '02 that Momo made that makes this seem even more extraordinary. In that context, :eek: @ Momo. You get my props. :)

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
gowza it depends on ur interpretation of what she meant by the comment 'i had never beaten vee'...when you look at the entire context of what she said and dont just extrapolate youll notice she also said "it's a really strange way to end the tournament"

i interept 'strange' to mean not a 'normal' win as in she didnt finish the match ;)

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
nice comment from Mauresmo, sounds something like Venus/Serena would say. Very strong hearted/spritited.

But did you notice something she said in there? She was playing Very well in that first set and still lost. And venus wasn't playing well at all. Many Many errors, and doubles in every service game but 1. And she was still able to get that first set from Amelie. Shows you it is still hard to beat a williams even when you are playing well, and they are off :)

Congrats Amelie.

Venus will be back in Rome and the French!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Momo, beat Venus fair and square. She still beats her. She got her injury while playing, so its Momo who puts pressure on her. Vee won the first set but did'nt left anything for the second.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
I'll call it a win, I'll say she earned that trophy, and I'm happy for it. What I won't do - even if it costs me my shorts magnet and video priviledges - is say Amelie BEAT Venus.

I have faith in Amelie - I can wait for her to beat Venus on court and not on a technicality.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Shame on you, SerenaSlam...!!!

:cool: ...for reading my mind!!! I, too, know that it's very hard to "beat" a Williams!!! :) :)

QueenLindsay, you have "absolutely" no idea what's "fair and square".!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I didn t see that match but i heard Venus only got her injury at the end of the second set after mueresmo started playing very well - i can 't really judge, but a nice week for Amelie(a good confidence booster) and we all know Venus will be back. Rg should be very interesting

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I like the heading for this AP article on the match: VENUS AILMENT HANDS MAURESMO TITLE
I know Amelie is declared the "winner" because Venus retired with an injury...so does everyone else.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,535 Posts
jenny161185 said:
I didn t see that match but i heard Venus only got her injury at the end of the second set after mueresmo started playing very well - i can 't really judge, but a nice week for Amelie(a good confidence booster) and we all know Venus will be back. Rg should be very interesting
I personally believe Venus when she said she got the injury at the end of the 1st set. It definitely explains her up and down performance.

VENUS WILLIAMS after match with Amelie Mauresmo (6:7 /6/, 0:6, 0:3 ret.)

It was a very nice week almost until the very end. I hope to win here some day. The final itself is a success even though I didn't manage to win this time. Maybe next year...

How do I feel? Well the body is not perfect, but my spirit is. This is a new injury, it never happened to me before. I felt the pain in one spot at the beginning, but the spot was getting bigger and bigger. I wasn't able to hit any stroke - but the serve was worst. I felt the pain at the very end of first set, I thought it was stomach ache, so I asked for help, to finish the match.

I don't know if I'll go to Berlin. My doctor told me not to do it, but the decision is mine. I'd like to come back here next year with Serena, but you know how it is with a younger sister... She doesn't always listen.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
jenny161185---Venus was actually hurt during the first set...she did not know there was a significant injury..she thought it was just an ache. All this, and she still managed to win the first set....what does that say about the outcome? Get well soon, Venus! Take all the time you need to be 100% healthy.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
jenny161185 said:
nice post, but have to disagree with Venus getting injured after mauresmo started playing well.

Mauresmo was playing well, and better than Venus the entire match. Venus just won the bigger points, that is why its hard to beat the sisters even when you are clearly playing better than them.

But mauresmo will get another chance to acutally beat Venus. But I don't know if she will ever be able to beat Serena :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts