1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.thetennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=1574

Comebacking Stevenson encouraged in loss
3/9/2006 9:44:00 PM

INDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP) - Alexandra Stevenson was encouraged by her play in a 7-6 (1), 6-2 loss to Croatia's Ivana Lisjak in the first round of the Pacific Life Open on Thursday.

Stevenson has spent the past 17 months recuperating from surgery to repair a torn labrum in her right shoulder. She was a semifinalist at Wimbledon as a WTA Tour rookie in 1999 and ranked No. 18 in the world at the close of the 2002 season.

Her ranking now at No. 617, Stevenson was given a wild card into this event, and she said her first set against Lisjak was probably the most competitive she's played in two years.

But at 5-6 she felt pain in her rebuilt shoulder, and after losing the tiebreaker, she was advised to quit by the tour trainer. Instead, she won the opening two games of the second set before Lisjak took command.

``I haven't played a set like that in two years and I pretty much haven't played tennis like that,'' Stevenson said, an ice pack taped to her shoulder. ``I guess the shoulder got fatigued and then it strained a little bit. It's just bad luck.''

Stevenson, 25, cried briefly when she talked about what it felt like to walk on the court and hear the crowd cheer for her. She is 0-5 this year, the previous four losses coming in minor-league Challenger tournaments, but she is convinced that brighter days are ahead.

``I'm getting close,'' she said. ``Today I played some good points and I felt like I belonged on the court for the first time (since the surgery). I see each day progressively getting better.

``I think I'm hitting the ball better than I ever have been and I think I'm smarter on the court. It's just a matter of putting it all together and getting my serve back. Everything else has come back progressively better each week.''

Lisjak will meet No. 6 seed Flavia Pennetta in the second round, which begins Friday along with the opening round of the men's tournament.

Others advancing were Lourdes Dominguez Lino of Spain, Stephanie Foretz and Severine Bremond of France, Viktoriya Kutuzova of the Ukraine, Na Li of China, and Bethanie Mattek and Vania King of the U.S.

Copyright © 2006 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

·
16,052 Posts
I think its great how positive she is about the whole situation most people would have gave up if they lost as much as Alex has this year. But shes keeping her head high and doing her best it seems shes getting better with each match i just hope she does her best this year and eventually gets back where she belongs in the top 20

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
*Diva* said:
I think its great how positive she is about the whole situation most people would have gave up if they lost as much as Alex has this year. But shes keeping her head high and doing her best it seems shes getting better with each match i just hope she does her best this year and eventually gets back where she belongs in the top 20
Yeah, but that will be extremely tough for her...First of all, i would really LOVE to see her in the top 100... ;) That would be so nice and if she entered some smaller tournaments and eventually got some nice wins, im sure it wouldn't be too much to ask for... :angel: ;) :cool:
Lets hope she will do well in Miami qualifying!! :yeah:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
She's very positive

·
16,052 Posts
Williams-forever said:
Yeah, but where is she now?? Haven't heard anything about her since Indian Wells... :confused:

I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if she is training or something? :confused:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
*Diva* said:
I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if she is training or something? :confused:
Yeah, that would be really nice. I bet she is, along with recovering from her damn shoulder... :D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Alex is in the moment training hard at the Bolletieri Academy. On May 25 she will go to the Westside tennis club in Houston, where there are grass courts similar to those being used at Wimbledon. According to her mother, Alex is hopeful of getting into the qualifying draw at Wimbledon, with her protected ranking.
Good to hear that Alex is doing some serious stuff about her career now. Maybe that will give her credit. :D

·
16,052 Posts
Williams-forever said:
Alex is in the moment training hard at the Bolletieri Academy. On May 25 she will go to the Westside tennis club in Houston, where there are grass courts similar to those being used at Wimbledon. According to her mother, Alex is hopeful of getting into the qualifying draw at Wimbledon, with her protected ranking.
Good to hear that Alex is doing some serious stuff about her career now. Maybe that will give her credit. :D

Awesome! Glad to hear this :bounce:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I miss her playing well, she has had a torrid time and lots of loses...

Hang in there, looking forward to seeing you win again.

Edd

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can go to some Wimby quallies and watch Alex if she gets in :D:D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
ae wowww said:
I can go to some Wimby quallies and watch Alex if she gets in :D:D
That would be awesome! :bounce: Maybe you can update us on her situation if you get to see her? Im really looking forward to see if Alex's hard work has payed off this time :D

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
i think she is using an SR to make the qualies at Wimby, that is what the latest entry list says :shrug:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts