Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come on! Andy Rodick must be the most hyped player in tennis history:mad:

Since the French Open, in every GS he plays in centre court and the night matches, and what has he done? absolutely nothing.

I was hoping that the Justine Anna match would be in centre court and night match because of Anna, but no, it's not even in Vodafone Arena and it's first match in the morning.

It's not like other players that have been hyped before, there was always a reason. Philippousis beat Sampras, same as Hewitt, Anna has the glamour, but Andy Rodick?

According to the media, he was a top candidate to win every GS since Wimbledon, and the organizers seem to think he is the main star as he always plays in centre court.:mad:

I am sorry but I am sick of him, they can hype him as much as they want when he really does something, and I think they are not doing him a favour, he is only 19 and with all that pressure it will be very difficult for him to achive anything.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
LOL! I've been sick of him since the February of last year!:rolleyes: And to top it off, the Miami Herald thinks he can win the Australian Open.:rolleyes: They actually think he can do better than Roger Federer who easily disposed roddick in the semis of Sydney! LMAO! I'm expecting and hopinh he will lose to Mariano Zabaleta though.:D

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
I second that, I am just furious how come they put Anna -Justine match into Vodaphone arena, I mean it is like putting last year Dokic-Davenport into outside court last year.

Andy is a good player, and I know he will win slams in the future, but the hype is just too much and people will get sick of him (although some may disagree). One of the reason why this is the case is because there are not many young American which is showing promise. I mean Gambill and Dent are really the other options, but they hardly succeed in the big stage. But please stop putting Andy Roddick in center court, esp. night matches coz they are the only match that is shown live :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well I don't think you can blame Roddick for the "overexposure" but the media (tennis) needs some poster boy to take the place of an aging Andre Agassi and Peter Sampras. I think he's viewed upon as their white knight in tennis gear. He's a great player and I do like him alot, but you're right I'd rather see other female and male tennis players. I also get the feeling with Agassi out of this years AO we're going to be seeing ALOT (read:all) of Roddick's matches on tv at the expense of alot of other players.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I am tired of the hype too and I don`t even live in America(were is seems to be 1000 times worse as here)

·
25,427 Posts
Well, I'm not sick of Roddick, but I am sickof how TV just falls over his every move. Felt the same about Agassi. If the networks didn't insist on showing EVERY point of a 3 out of 5 set match I wouldn't pray for him to lose, but they are depressingly predictable. I hope he loses early, because with Agassi out too they(ESPN) will have to show some women's tennis.

PS. Fingon, are you EVER going to write that essay you owe me for losing the Hingis bet?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Roddick sucks, be thankful some of you don't live in the US and don't have to watch all his matches, let's hope he lose quickly:D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I don't like Roddick very much either...since he beat my favourite player (Sampras) ! Actually, besides Sampras, I don't really like players with huge 1st serves...their matches usually are just about aces and their service-games are pretty short! Roddick is still young...and looks like he still has a lot of room for improvement! i like his attitude though...he's humble and knows that his time will come but right now he's pretty much trying just to get some experience and is not ready yet to overthrown Agassi or Sampras!

But he's good looking, has huge weapons in his game and is definitely the best next american thing to come...so i understand all this media thing around him.....could be bad for him though! Is that enough for him to play a night match (1st-round) in Rode Laver Arena while bigger players play in smaller stadium...maybe not....but who really cares! in a smaller stadium, we probably would still see him on TV and not the Justine-Anna match anyway! So....

;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just sick sick sick of Andy Roddick! Ever since he came on the scene...having to endure the McEnroes drool about he is the future of men's tennis...and then that spectacle he made of himself at the French Open against Michael Chang all that cramping and posturing!:rolleyes:

I wish him well during his tennis career but the hype is really a bit much! His black socks don't make things any better! He still has yet to deliver...I always turn the channel when he is on. I was so pleased when he was dismantled by Roger Federer at Sydney!:p

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
well it's a showman...
the Hype has just gotten too much for me.he's not that special and he hasn't achieved anything

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Alright - I was getting as annoyed as the next person when during The French Open, Wimbledon, and the UsOpen, I had to watch a half hour interview with Andy, or watch Andy being shown around the park, or watch clips of matches he played two days ago, or watch a group of girls sing happy birthday to him - you get the idea.

It is even more annoying cause they'd rather show this then a perfectly good match involving young, improving foriegn players who get no exposure whatsoever by the American media - examples would be Robredo, Federer, Ferrero (the only time I get to see my fave play is during the clay season when they HAVE to show him cause he wins so much :) ), and many many more.

SOME young players from other countries get decent coverage - like Hewitt and Safin and Guga- but those are all players which have alreayd broke through and won slams - coincidentally enough 2 of them one the slam that the US pays the most attention to.

However, as much as it drives me nuts that I had to endure every single point of the Roddick-Chang match, and was only permitted 10 minutes of Ferrero-Hewitt, 2 legit contendors - I can't hold Andy responsible.

He IS an exciting player to watch - he has tons of energy. He backs up some of the hype by having loads of talent, and several aspects of his game that he can improve. Further more, from his interviews, praises his opponents, and the way in which he handles his fans, he seems like a pretty nice guy.

Just a note on why he gets so many matches on Center Court -
While complaining that he always gets his matches played during prime time in the biggest stadium - have you ever noticed how many people show up just to see HIM play?
When I was at tennis Masters series Montreal, his SECOND round match filled up on court 1, well before either player stepped onto the court.
The next day, his THIRD round match on center court almost entirely filled up, after being sparsly populated for the previous match.
EVERYWHERE I went, people were talking about Andy Roddick, and when was his match, wasn't he incredible, blah blah blah.

Thats why he gets his matches on show courts. Cause people show up.

Make the mistake of putting him on a smaller court like they did in Montreal and you have a number of P-oed people standing in a mob waiting for people to leave so they can get in!

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I think Andy's great hes one of my fav players!You can't balme him cos the media have gotten all excited about him!

You have to say he is something special look at his rise up the rankings!:eek:

I expect him to win big in 2002 Top 10 for sure mayber top 5 and a Grandsalm or 2 aswell!

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I no and hes only 19!

But a shoking fact i found out today is that Hewitt started playing tennis at 13 and won a title at 16 didn't he!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
He is a jerk, he thinks he is all that...I don't like him...in reality he is just a wannabe, made something by the media.
Yeah he can hit great forehands and great serve, but the kid doesn't even have a personality, the media has created his personality,...But you can't blame him, I mean it's all about money these days,...Even for a 19 year old teenager...
No, he is not gonig to win Australian Open by the way...
maybe he'll get to Querters, btu not a win in Grand Slams this year...

1 - 20 of 81 Posts