Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im curious.
do any of you guys no the answere to these questions. it would be great if you could.

1 - how many black/ coloured girls are there on the tour?

2 - can you name some? (i know the top ones, venus,serens,chanda,alex,sonja)

3 - who are the up and coming dark prospects?

thanks for the help!

Reactions: DevilishAttitude

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,196 Posts
I know Mashona Washington is African American, but I have no idea how old she is...all I know is she isn't well known and MaliVai's sister.

Also, Lori McNeil, Amanda Coetzer's coach and doubles partner, is black.

I think think that with the immense popularity of Venus and Serena in pop culture, young black girls will emulate them and want to be like them and play like them, too.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Mashona Washington is 25, and has a career high ranking of 112.

My understanding is that young (about 16 yo) players Shadisha Robinson and Jamea Jackson are black. I suspect Jackson is the one more likely to do well.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know, but i thought that if i wrote black girls it would be abit blunt. i will change it.
i didnt mean to cause offence. sorry.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Hey infiniti don't feed the trolls.:)

Remember were supposed to be cool to the haters.. lmao:) Girl I know it's hard but we must work together.. and when you find me getting in someone's ass help me too.:)

Fearless Venus rulez:)

·
Registered
711 Posts
How many coloured girls?:eek: :eek:

How many black or AfroAmericans are on the tour, would have worked just fine.

Hi Dawn and Infiniti :wavey: :wavey:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I think you guys are being a bit to hard on Kisha.
I think she's from England, and she may not be clued in that the "colored girl" thing not so cool in the USA.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I agree with Moon that different terms are acceptable in different places. "Afroamerican" is a great term in itself but doesn't exactly describe a dark skinned person who does not reside in America!

Anyway, she is not a current player but the new Australian Fed Cup captain is Evonne Cawley (nee Goolagong), who is Aboriginal.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It all depends on how you define "colored". I remember hearing somebody using the term "persons of color" and suggesting that the only persons not of color are albinos, and possibly Michael Jackson. :)

Having said that, in addition to the names given, there's Dally and Natacha Randriantefy from Madagascar, and Anne Keothavong from the UK (her parents are from Laos).

Stevenson, of course, is of "mixed-race" or "interracial" or whatever the US Census Bureau put next to that check box. I refused to fill in any of the boxes for race since that's not the point of the Census according to the Constitution. :)

And what about all the Asian players? Do they count as "colored"?

--Ted, who wishes Chanda weren't injured....

·
Registered
12,118 Posts
Cara Black is not black, only in her name.

Dally Radrianteffy and Natacha Dally's sister are black :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Hey, Kisha is black too you know! But she lives in England and maybe doesn't know these terms too well.

Dawn and Infiniti, I think you are being too harsh on her ;)

Now let's shake hands and be friends again :D

Reactions: auntie janie

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Can someone explain to me what's offensive about the term "coloured"? I remember using it once on the Sanex board & people took offense. And I was using to describe myself...

I'm from England too.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
saik - I think she changed the name of the thread from whatever it is that they were biting her head off about originally.

its unfortunate that a great, respectful poster like Kisha, can't even ask a simple question without getting her head bit off. Anyone who would call her a hater, clearly has never read a single post of Kisha's before. The way some people throw around the word "hater" is just unbeleivable.

I'd help you out Kisha, but I have no idea.

Though like already said, I imagine that Venus and Serena will/have inspired tons of children of all races to get out their racquets, so hopefully in a few years time the tour will be more racially diverse :)

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
If you're including Sonya Jeyaseelan and Anne Keothavong (who has a sister, Lena, who's just starting out) as black/coloured/whatever ('coloured' isn't seen as particularly offensive in the UK - I didn't know it was in America), then there are lots of girls from India on tour. Nirupama Vaidyanathan (the first female Indian pro) is their top player. Manisha Malhotra and Sonal Phadke have had good results, and they have a good junior in Sania Mirza.
Then there's Selima Sfar from Tunisia (in the top 100), Bahia Mouhtassine and Lamia Essaadi from Morocco (Mouhtassine's had great results this year), Feriel Esseghir from Algeria. There was a good Canadian junior a few years ago called Kavitha Krishnamurthy who I presume was of Indian ethnicity, but I don't think she's made an impact in the seniors.

·
Registered
711 Posts
First - Kisha understand that you meant no harm:)

Secondly - I am Black and American. I would prefer to be called a black woman as opposed to being called a coloured/colored woman.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Ditto to what Althea wrote:)

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.