Tennis Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE (TICKER) -- Amanda Coetzer's stay at the $895,000 Kroger St. Jude indoor tennis event was a short one.

The top-seeded Coetzer on Tuesday was upset in the second round by unseeded Russian Alina Jidkova, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5).

Playing in her first tournament since losing in the second round at last month's Pan Pacific Open, Coetzer received a first-round bye in this event.

Coetzer thought having the bye was a detriment.

"I felt a little rusty since I haven't played a tournament since Tokyo and by having a bye in the first round I think that puts you at a disadvantage since the other player has already played one match," Coetzer said. "She came out with a lot of confidence."

Coetzer showed her rustiness, blowing a 5-3 lead in the second set as her record on the year fell to 5-4. The South African advanced to the fourth round at the Australian Open.

"She played very well and I had my chances," Coetzer said. "I gave away my chances, especially in the second set."

"This is definitely my biggest win for right now," said the 25-year-old Jidkova. "I was trying to attack every ball. I was nervous at different times in the match but I knew I had to fight for every ball. When I got nervous I just told myself to calm down and attack every ball. I was getting tired and I did not want to go to the third set."

Third-seeded Ai Sugiyama of Japan made it out of the second round with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-3) victory over countrywoman Shinobu Asagoe.

In a second-round match of unseeded players, American Jill Craybas defeated Aniko Kapros of Hungary, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4.

There also were three first-round matches on the women's side. American Erika De Lone ousted fifth-seeded Adrianna Serra Zanetti of Italy, 6-2, 6-4; seventh seed Jennifer Hopkins of the United States defeated Andrea Glass of Germany, 6-4, 6-4; and Yepn Jeong Cho of Korea bested American Sarah Taylor, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5).

1 - 1 of 1 Posts