Tennis Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
lol @ the idea that race relations is somehow a topic only in America. Europe has its tons of issues with race and ethnicity. You saw the spontaneous protests in many European/Western cities, many of them with large minority participation, because they feel involved and they have been at the end of discrimination in those countries as well.

Switzerland is in no shortage of racial and ethnic discrimination. In fact, it is one of the worst offenders. Y'all remember the Oprah Winfrey story when she went into a high end Swiss shop? So just because he's Swiss does not mean that there should be an expectation that this is a non-issue for him. If you are a black or a minority you're going to be subject to discrimination in pretty much all over the West.

IMO anyhow a black square is better than nothing. Words/symbols of support also matter.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We live in such a stupid Identitarian, virtual signaling era, where you are damned if you do, damned if you don't, and find after a while that 99% of it is false and lacks any value at all anyway.
I truly hope it will come to an end and we get back to be 50% honest of what we really are in our social relations as well.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
People are complaining about Federer's black square on Twitter, but if he didn't do that, they would be moaning that he did nothing. You can't win either way. If he had come out and said something, people would have said you have no idea what we are dealing with. Best to say little as possible, instead of getting hate.
Just happened to be on Danielle Collins instagram and there were people complaining on there that she didn't post anything about BLM, ( the post is on june 3rd) Is it any wonder players don't get involved with issues, they just can't win.
Personally, i think DRC did the right thing by not saying or doing anything.

·
Registered
15,988 Posts
Monfils and some other did the same why didn't she go after them.
They can voice their support but it's not their fight, can't expect everybody to fight for you do it yourselves. There's so many Black celebrities with millions call them out .
I don't like calling out the black square bullshit. Don't use the BLM as a way to degrade some people and make yourself more justified

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Social media is going to fuck up careers. Hire a PR team, don’t touch it, play tennis.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I don't understand.. How does she know he hasn't done those things? I guess if he didn't post about it on social media it never happened?:unsure:
Or may be it never happened and seeing that post, he would have yielded his financial support as well as his publicity in other ways, like for instance - reading list by BLM. Putting a black screen, if sweet, is ultimately an empty gesture.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Monfils and some other did the same why didn't she go after them.
They can voice their support but it's not their fight, can't expect everybody to fight for you do it yourselves. There's so many Black celebrities with millions call them out .
I don't like calling out the black square bullshit. Don't use the BLM as a way to degrade some people and make yourself more justified
Racism is not just Black people's problem, if there is ever going to be progress, it would require a cross-sectional support.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Also, I am not making it Roger vs Coco but it is a point that as a society, we want to make decent assumptions about white people but our assumptions towards non-white people are always full of suspicion.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
Or may be it never happened and seeing that post, he would have yielded his financial support as well as his publicity in other ways, like for instance - reading list by BLM. Putting a black screen, if sweet, is ultimately an empty gesture.
Well, we don't know either way because I don't think anyone has secret cameras following every aspect of Roger's life. I don't think it really helps the cause to criticise someone for supporting it, just because you assume they haven't done enough. Maybe she should have posted that response to the tennis player who posted something completely unrelated to BLM...(I don't necessarily agree with that either, but it would have made more sense)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Well, we don't know either way because I don't think anyone has secret cameras following every aspect of Roger's life. I don't think it really helps the cause to criticise someone for supporting it, just because you assume they haven't done enough. Maybe she should have posted that response to the tennis player who posted something completely unrelated to BLM...(I don't necessarily agree with that either, but it would have made more sense)
But I don't see what's wrong in her posting that?

But do you really thing in this celebrity culture and power of social currency world we live in, where every kind gesture is paraded by their PR team with drum rolls, they wouldn't in some way market, how Roger has donated this money to BLM? Also, if he had donated, the charities would have announced it. They announce all major donors.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
But I don't see what's wrong in her posting that?

But do you really thing in this celebrity culture and power of social currency world we live in, where every kind gesture is paraded by their PR team with drum rolls, they wouldn't in some way market, how Roger has donated this money to BLM? Also, if he had donated, the charities would have announced it. They announce all major donors.
ASSUME will make U an ASS out of ME.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts