Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realised that Emma's coaching changes have been discussed across several threads and wanted a single thread that we could share about coaching issues and various feelings, opinions and speculations about them. One thing to note is because we may have strong opinions and feelings about this please remember to be respectful and try to be kind where possible

·
Registered
🦀 Che cazzo 🩰
2,142 Posts
The Piatti tennis centre in Italy looks like an amazing operation. Will be really disappointed if the rumours her deal with Piatti has fallen over are true. Would have thought now would be the perfect time for a few days at the Centre before Rome. Would also expect Piatti or one of his team to make the trip to Rome, if they are working with Emma.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I realised that Emma's coaching changes have been discussed across several threads and wanted a single thread that we could share about coaching issues and various feelings, opinions and speculations about them.
Hello Geolutin I hope you are having a nice day. 😀

Your post makes me wonder what other staff Emma could hire, particularly as she progresses from millionaire to billionaire. 🤑 What about: -
  • Head of equipment - this person would make sure Emma's equipment was kept in top shape, including stringing all of her rackets to her exact specification. 🎾
  • Nutritionist - someone to make sure Emma's diet is designed to maximise her tennis performance (e.g. more pinky liquids, less greeny yellow ones). 🍸
  • Head of security/bodyguard - would keep Emma safe from deranged and dangerous fans, plus keep Nick Kyrgios away. Double Oh Wobs would be great at this job. 🔐
  • Chef - as Emma grows in popularity the chances of other jealous players wanting to put laxatives in her meals etc to affect her performance will only grow as a risk! To counter this Emma could hire a personal chef to make all of her meals. 🥗
  • Official artist - someone to follow Emma round the world and draw paintings of her to capture her career. Please Emma pick me! 🎨
Have I missed any key staff Emma should hire? 🤔

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The Piatti tennis centre in Italy looks like an amazing operation. Will be really disappointed if the rumours her deal with Piatti has fallen over are true. Would have thought now would be the perfect time for a few days at the Centre before Roms. Would also expect Piatti or one of his team to make the trip to Rome, if they are working with Emma.
The thing is Piatti is promoting his acadany with 150 coaches not just himself, so we dont know if he is discussing himelf or one of his coaches that works there, or a revolving door of support (which Emma sort of gets now from LTA with James ward, Cayer et al)

I read Louis Cayer and James ward worked on her serve, Cayer was in Madrid doing the coaching last week, who reworked andy murray serve apparently (according to Petchy 115 to 130 MPH FS)

So all we can do is read articles and what is said., Emma herself mentioned to press Cayer and her serve so I dont think Emma would make that up.

What does Emma need ? Well, she said herself Sparring, Intense training partner level high quality. I think she is correct, That plus expert input on technique. Hopefully she can viist different academy such as Piatti, IMG Florida, Rafa Mallorca, Mour in France etc and just keep moving forward. Why limit herself.

I see some players take on a young coach / hitting partner combo, a mid 20s higher level hitting partner who is new to coaching - which would be ideal day to day and then use the experts for technique (Cayer etc)

Lets see what unfolds - I think Emma knows better what she is loooking for now and what she needs.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Emma badly needs a sports psychologist, similar to the kind employed by Iga (Daria Abramowicz).

While Emma is a mentally tough player and person, and has a natural instinct and talent to 'work out' an opponent during the course of a match and change tactics accordingly, we have all observed that she has a tendency to struggle in closing out some matches, especially tense three-setters.

They may also be able to help support Emma continue to adjust to her new found fame.

A good interview with Abramowicz regarding her role with Swiatek can be found here: Interview with Daria Abramowicz, Iga Swiatek's sports psychologist

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Emma badly needs a sports psychologist, similar to the kind employed by Iga (Daria Abramowicz).

While Emma is a mentally tough player and person, and has a natural instinct and talent to 'work out' an opponent during the course of a match and change tactics accordingly, we have all observed that she has a tendency to struggle in closing out some matches, especially tense three-setters.
She has access to that under LTA. I dont think she needs a travelling one.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Geolutin I hope you are having a nice day. 😀

Your post makes me wonder what other staff Emma could hire, particularly as she progresses from millionaire to billionaire. 🤑 What about: -
  • Head of equipment - this person would make sure Emma's equipment was kept in top shape, including stringing all of her rackets to her exact specification. 🎾
  • Nutritionist - someone to make sure Emma's diet is designed to maximise her tennis performance (e.g. more pinky liquids, less greeny yellow ones). 🍸
  • Head of security/bodyguard - would keep Emma safe from deranged and dangerous fans, plus keep Nick Kyrgios away. Double Oh Wobs would be great at this job. 🔐
  • Chef - as Emma grows in popularity the chances of other jealous players wanting to put laxatives in her meals etc to affect her performance will only grow as a risk! To counter this Emma could hire a personal chef to make all of her meals. 🥗
  • Official artist - someone to follow Emma round the world and draw paintings of her to capture her career. Please Emma pick me! 🎨
Have I missed any key staff Emma should hire? 🤔
I agree Hundred percent on the artist, I know no one better

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Aside from Louis Cayer, I continue to be dubious about the ability of the LTA to give her the world-class support she needs going forward.

Doesn’t need to be a travelling psychologist. Just someone to check in with and discuss things of note.

·
Registered
🦀 Che cazzo 🩰
2,142 Posts
The LTA is not an elite set-up. It has only ever produced also-rans. Andy Murray is an exception as a British player. But I don't think anyone claims he was produced by the LTA. Using the LTA as a catch-all to avoid paying the high fees demanded by the very best is, in my view, a short-sighted decision which is likely to delay or even derail Emma's development. I agree Cayer seems to be very good at what he does (crucially, he trained in Canada, not England). But he cannot commit to her full time, and even if she thinks she doesn't need a coach, I don't agree. I think your first year on the tour is not the time to wing it and develop bad habits that may be impossible to undo later. She should find an expert to keep a close eye on her, and follow closely that expert's advice.
There is plenty of room for improvement in Emma's strength and conditioning, match preparation, tactics, shot making, shot selection, mental focus, mental strength. She is far from the finished package. I hope she has the humility to realise that with her base talent, the sky is the limit - if she gets good coaching.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The LTA is not an elite set-up. It has only ever produced also-rans. Andy Murray is an exception as a British player. But I don't think anyone claims he was produced by the LTA. Using the LTA as a catch-all to avoid paying the high fees demanded by the very best is, in my view, a short-sighted decision which is likely to delay or even derail Emma's development. I agree Cayer seems to be very good at what he does (crucially, he trained in Canada, not England). But he cannot commit to her full time, and even if she thinks she doesn't need a coach, I don't agree. I think your first year on the tour is not the time to wing it and develop bad habits that may be impossible to undo later. She should find an expert to keep a close eye on her, and follow closely that expert's advice.
Come on, Andy and Jamie Murray, Konta, Salisbury and now Jack draper is not crap. But you can only optimise the natural talent that us there. I dont think LTA UK professional Psychologists and Nutritionalists will be poor.

Remember, Emma was a school kid until 18 playing Tennis in spare time at her school (Bromley tennsi centre) maybe 10 hours a week (her words). She has been on tour for less than a year.

And we are comparing against others who maybe moved to live at a tennis academy since 13/14 and lived tennis for 6/7 years - of course Emma body is behind, you cant blame that on LTA that Emma did not go live tennis as a teen.

Koystyuk was a dominant number 1 junoir similar age, Emma has caught and surpassed her already. Time, dont blame everything on LTA.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
There is plenty of room for improvement in Emma's strength and conditioning, match preparation, tactics, shot making, shot selection, mental focus, mental strength. She is far from the finished package. I hope she has the humility to realise that with her base talent, the sky is the limit - if she gets good coaching.
Agree 100% with this post

·
Registered
🦀 Che cazzo 🩰
2,142 Posts
Come on, Andy and Jamie Murray, Konta, Salisbury and now Jack draper is not crap.
Andy Murray is the only one of those who has a career worthy of Emma. Emma has already outstripped the others, even though she is only 19. Not worth mentioning them in this context, in my view (yes, I know Draper is only a year older than Emma). I think Emma would be really disappointed if she had the career of Jamie Murray or Konta.
Andy Murray was not produced by the LTA. He comes from generations of professional athletes, and at the age of 15 went to live and study at a tennis academy in Spain. He is very supportive of the LTA, and his mother works for the LTA, but the LTA did not produce Andy Murray. He got elite training elsewhere.

·
Andy Murray is the only one of those who has a career worthy of Emma. Emma has already outstripped the others, even though she is only 19. Not worth mentioning them in this context, in my view (yes, I know Draper is only a year older than Emma). I think Emma would be really disappointed if she had the career of Jamie Murray or Konta.
Andy Murray was not produced by the LTA. He comes from generations of professional athletes, and at the age of 15 went to live and study at a tennis academy in Spain. He is very supportive of the LTA, and his mother works for the LTA, but the LTA did not produce Andy Murray. He got elite training elsewhere.
Judy Murray/ the Murray family in general have criticised the LTA on several occasions over the years too

Also Konta did not grow up under the LTA she developed her talents at the Sánchez-Casal Academy in Spain

·
Registered
🦀 Che cazzo 🩰
2,142 Posts
Judy Murray/ the Murray family in general have criticised the LTA on several occasions over the years too

Also Konta did not grow up under the LTA she developed her talents at the Sánchez-Casal Academy in Spain
Andy Murray went to the Sanchez-Casal Academy in Spain at 15, too. If Emma goes to Piatti Academy aged 19, it will be a little late, but could still be very helpful.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts

And Judy brought Cayer into LTA specfically for her sons, mainly Jamie, sought him out and brought him to UK and LTA, and last week he was with Emma.

He also helped Andy Murray serve, and Joe S.

So not all bad, Emma is also chasing Cayer it seems, without Cayer Emma might have done something else I agree.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
But Emma is using same people as Andy.

Petchy, Cayer, Carril, Dehaes.....

Does it matter what banner they are under, Emma has consulted same experts / people / whatevrr you want to call them as Andy.

All she is missing is some time with Ivan...

·
Registered
🦀 Che cazzo 🩰
2,142 Posts
But Emma is using same people as Andy.

Petchy, Cayer, Carril, Dehaes.....

Does it matter what banner they are under, Emma has consulted same experts / people / whatevrr you want to call them as Andy.

All she is missing is some time with Ivan...
You missed quite a few. Let's start with Andy's time at Sanchez-Casal Academy in Spain from the age of 15. Andy was also coached by Brad Gilbert, Alex Corretja, Ivan Lendl, Amelie Mauresmo and Jonas Bjorkman. If you recognise these names, you will know they did not learn their trade at the LTA. According to Andy's Wikipedia page, Petchy coached him for less than a year.
But you're right, if Emma wants Jamie Murray's career, or Joe Salisbury's, she should do what they do.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You missed quite a few. Let's start with Andy's time at Sanchez-Casal Academy in Spain from the age of 15. Andy was also coached by Brad Gilbert, Alex Corretja, Ivan Lendl, Amelie Mauresmo and Jonas Bjorkman. If you recognise these names, you will know they did not learn their trade at the LTA. According to Andy's Wikipedia page, Petchy coached him for less than a year.
But you're right, if Emma wamts Jamie Murray's career, or Joe Salisbury's, she should do what they do.
Emma left school 8 months ago, I am sure she will consult with allot of good people over time.

Of course she did not leave home and move to an academy at 13-15, so she is missing all that. But dont blame LTA for that.

Andy chose Tennis vs nothing as back up, big risk if Tennnis did not work he could be working as a hitting partner or coach for someone, or if he got injury he would be in McDs

Emma went high level eduction then tennis. Emma and her family chose education vs living tennis as a teen, you cant blame LTA for that choice. Probably her mum.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Re: hiring a sports psychologist à la Iga: iirc she was 15 at the time she started working with Abramowicz and she was in a place where she wished to be able to deal with her emotions relating to her on-court activities that were also affecting her off-court. It was a long process from then to today, and all the results we see in her mentality is rooted in a years-long process.

Now I don't know if Emma needs one, but generally I think both her personal situation and her needs are very different from Iga's. Particularly, she seems less inclined to build a stronger relationship with her staff.

1 - 20 of 244 Posts