Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in this thread we keep track of who is now being coached by whom. we can also make suggestions and recommendations for who should be coached by whom. i think that WTA suggestions should also be welcome, this being WTAworld and all...;)

From the ATP newsletter:
After 16 years with Javier Duarte, Alex Corretja is now working with Enrique "Bebe" Perez, the former coach of Andre Sa, Fernando Meligeni and Francisco Clavet...

Sa is now working with former ATP pro Jaime Oncins...

Richard Gasquet is no longer working with Eric Winogradsky and is now coached by his father, Francis...

fellow Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu is no longer under the tutelage of Thierry Champion but has retained interim coach Eric Deblicker...

Sweden's Magnus Norman is now working with countryman Mikael Tillstrom...

and of course everyone knows that Roddick is working with Brad Gilbert...

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
from Jon Wertheim...

As much as I wanted to praise Andy Roddick's recent performance at Wimbledon, I can't help but notice his poor forehand technique compared to Roger Federer's or Andre Agassi's. A lot of times he seems to hit his forehand off his back foot. Also, he also seems to muscle through the ball rather than drive through it. Do you think it's a good idea for Brad Gilbert to slowly change Roddick's hitting style? Do you think this will introduce injuries later on in his career?
—Edward, Austin, Texas

I'm more interested in your second question. Roddick's forehand is clearly the stronger of his two sides, but that loose, wristy action induces the same cringing you get watching a 10-year-old throw a curveball. Is this a torn rotator cuff or blown-out elbow waiting to happen? Let's hope not.

Gilbert is more a mental/strategic guy than a technical coach. Even if he were to pop open the hood and start puttering and tinkering with Roddick's game, I think he'd be far more concerned about all shots backhand (especially the down-the-line pass under pressure) than the forehand.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Andy Roddick really plays a physical style of tennis that is very draining and straining. He will have to be careful to avoid playing too many tournaments on a yearly basis. And his forehand as Jon Wertheim pointed out is hit with a loose wrist action that could result in shoulder or elbow problems in the future. But perhaps Brad Gilbert can make minor technique changes in Roddick's game to help keep Andy and his very valuable right arm as healthy as possible.

But Arthur Ashe use to talk about Stefan Edberg's twisting service motion and how he would develope back problems from using so much torque on his serve. But Edberg played every grand slam in his career and became the iron man of tennis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts