Tennis Forum banner

401 - 411 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
17,714 Posts
The tennis clothing market is saturated, it used to be 6 brands, now it's like 30. I'm guessing most players outside the top 10 not actually getting paid to wear kits, just getting free kits.
If Nike really wanted to move product, they would make more dresses that park players and juniors would wear.
I doubt it. Visibility is not nothing, especially in other markets where tennis might be the #1 women's sports. Remember that tennis is a global sport, and these girls are traveling all the time. These lower-ranked girls might not be making millions off their clothing sponsorships, but depending on who they are, what their status is in their home country, what tennis' status is in that country, etc.; they for sure can leverage being ranked #100 for good money. And as you mentioned, it is so saturated that a brand needs to compete, too. If you're Adidas or Nike or even Lacoste or Asics, you don't want to lose out on presence.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Does Eleven sponsor (or have sponsored) anyone? I reckon if Venus wants to grow the brand and make it a player in women's tennis attire, finding talented young players who might not need to be paid a ton of money would make a lot of sense. But I've never seen anyone else wear Eleven but Venus. (Maybe she's waiting until she's retired to branch out to other players?)

In this article it says they do not.

Gesendet von meinem SNE-LX1 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Does Eleven sponsor (or have sponsored) anyone? I reckon if Venus wants to grow the brand and make it a player in women's tennis attire, finding talented young players who might not need to be paid a ton of money would make a lot of sense. But I've never seen anyone else wear Eleven but Venus. (Maybe she's waiting until she's retired to branch out to other players?)
I'm pretty sure that's the only reason Venus is still playing. She's saving money by not sponsoring others lol

·
Registered
31,007 Posts
I doubt it. Visibility is not nothing, especially in other markets where tennis might be the #1 women's sports. Remember that tennis is a global sport, and these girls are traveling all the time. These lower-ranked girls might not be making millions off their clothing sponsorships, but depending on who they are, what their status is in their home country, what tennis' status is in that country, etc.; they for sure can leverage being ranked #100 for good money. And as you mentioned, it is so saturated that a brand needs to compete, too. If you're Adidas or Nike or even Lacoste or Asics, you don't want to lose out on presence.
Bouchard hasn't been paid by Nike for a year now, she has 2M followers on IG and she was a top 100 player for most of that time. The average top 100 player is probably lucky to get free kits. Someone like Tomljanovic who's been named the face of K-Swiss may be paid but the amount is probably reflecting her low selling power.

I think she gave some stuff to Gajdosova and Konta the past.

·
Registered
17,714 Posts
Bouchard hasn't been paid by Nike for a year now, she has 2M followers on IG and she was a top 100 player for most of that time. The average top 100 player is probably lucky to get free kits. Someone like Tomljanovic who's been named the face of K-Swiss may be paid but the amount is probably reflecting her low selling power.
Bouchard is an interesting case in that no one is probably looking to her to sell anything tennis-related right now. Lol.

But I can't imagine that most of the Top 100 are only "lucky to get free kits." If that's the case then some of these girls who stay in the lower half of the Top 100 would never switch "sponsors." I have some insight on the value of clothes having worked in the industry for years. If, say, all Nike or Adidas has to do is give, say, 20 players a year's supply of clothes, and all are getting direct entry into the slams and some are even winning a round or two? That's a no brainer. I would give them clothes for the entirety of their careers even if they never get a high enough ranking to be seeded at a slam. The return on that very minimal investment is massive.

But if as a player, who may never really make it big, I'd sign up for the free clothes, too. And I would never change "sponsors." And, yet, many of them switch all the time. But if all I'm getting is the same thing (free clothes), what's the point of switching? Alexandrova and Garcia both switched at the beginning of the year. If they're not getting paid by these new brands, what would be point of switching? I'm sure Nike and Lotto would have happily given them free clothes.

·
Registered
25,516 Posts
Looks like Lauren Davis is sponsorless again :cry: Wearing a Lululemon skirt I think, but still wearing her Diadora shoes & wristbands.

Somebody get her a Fila or a Lotto deal. She's so talented.

·
Registered
330 Posts

I think she gave some stuff to Gajdosova and Konta the past.
Nadia Petrova has also worn Eleven at one or two tournaments

·
Registered
938 Posts
i think most brands are offering contracts that are heavily weighted on performance and kit rather than fixed payments.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
i think most brands are offering contracts that are heavily weighted on performance and kit rather than fixed payments.
Yes but there is definitely some $$$ at signing even if it is a small.

As of Bouchard, it is absolutely normal. She got her money in the first 3 years of her contact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

401 - 411 of 411 Posts