Tennis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Closure

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario waves goodbye

Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario announced her retirement from the Fantasy Season tour last week and declared that the Australian Open would be her last event.

The Spaniard had a fairytale run to the semi-finals of the event in singles, defeating Justine Henin-Hardenne in the battle of the big names, Vera Zvonareva, one of her rival in doubles and Martina Hingis, the world no.2 in their first and last meeting before falling to eventual champion Daniela Hantuchova.

ASV: I really wanted to say goodbye properly; to not lose in the first round once again. I am a bit disappointed, my main goal was to go out in the finals at least. That would have been beautiful. In my debut tournament, I reached the finals and I wanted to bookmark my career with another final but no, that didn't happen.

Sanchez-Vicario recahed the finals in her debut tournament at Dublin, defeating Tamarine Tanasugarn, Lindsay Davenport and Jennifer Capriati before being outclassed by Venus Williams in the finals.

ASV: So I'll just have to be content with bookmarking my career with three wins with one of them over a top 5 player. ~smiling~

Arantxa has just broken through the top 10, becoming the newly no.9 player in the tour.

ASV: It's a good feeling that I will at least go out while I'm on top. I really have to take a brake for awhile. I think I deserve it since I've been going non-stop from Dublin to Melbourne.
I'll be sailing home, that's one of my gifts to myself. My coach meanwhile has to take his studies seriously so he can't be with me for now. We shall hopefully be back in December.

I must go now.

Arantxa with a congratualtory plaque from the other players and the tour director.

Some players have things to say about Arantxa:

Monica Seles

"I've always had such a tremendous amount of respect for Aranxta. It's going to be lonely on the Tour without her because she was one of my closest friends."

"It's a very tough decision to make and I admire her courage because I have experimented with the idea of retiring but haven't been able to walk away from the game. It takes a lot of guts to do what she's done."

"I think it is perfect that Aranxta is going out on top. She's done so well for herself and not many players have retired while in the Top 10."

"With Aranxta gone, the game will definitely be losing one of it's classiest players."

Elena Bovina
"It's sad to see that Arantxa is retiring. She just got in the Top 10, and was only going up and up. I think she's amongst the best 8 players on tour. Arantxa was always such a nightmare to play, always running down every ball. I still beat her every match, of course... but it wasn't easy."

Vera Zvonareva
"I was stunned when I found out that Arantxa was leaving the tour. Even though I havn't been here for very long, it seems like every week I end up playing her, either in singles or doubles. The matches are always really close and I will miss our rivalry, especially since now I won't get a chance to avenge my loss to her at the Aussie Open :fiery: ;). Hopefully since Arantxa did so well in Australia at the Open she will come back to the tour, hopefully soon. Until then, we will miss her!"

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
:sad: . See ya in December;) . Good luck with school:wavey: . Most of all, don't be a stranger to the game. Even if you aren't playing, drop in once in a while. We all would love to hear from you.

·
Banned
14,953 Posts
Sorry beating you 6-2 6-2 made you retire.

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
~points downwards~
Monica & Arantxa: Good Times In The Babolat Exhibition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.