Tennis Forum banner

Clijsters: The only 1 who could really challenge the WS and their Current domination?

• yes

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • no

Votes: 29 35.4%
  • not sure yet

Votes: 16 19.5%
  • she's not the only one

Votes: 23 28.0%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Kim is to come back we all know she is one of the greatest players and athletes to play... could she put a hault in the WS domination?... she is certainly capable yet so are some other girls on tour but given her past experience with them and her game.. Could she be the WS Kryptonite this summer? If she returns full time next year?? As of right now and the WTA current condition... I think she is really the only one who could...

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
I think a rejuvenated Henin could....not so sure about Clijsters.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
She hasn't played a match for nearly 2 years, isn't playing before 4-5 months... how could anyone know? Wait & see and stop with all those Kim threads.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
She's another Dementieva. Fine against the Williams or anybody else as long as it's not a Slam.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Oh get real. She was never a threat even in her heyday, total headcase. Now that she's what, 27? and completely out of the scene for 3-4 years she suddenly becomes a threat? You funny!

I'd be a lot more excited if Henin was coming back. At least she was a real threat.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
unless she has been eating wild mushrooms why would she suddenly do better against them when she struggled to do so a few years ago. It does not mean she cannot beat a ws cos she has, but I do ot expect sudden dominance over tham.

·
Registered
13,192 Posts
She can compete with them that's for sure so there'll be a few she wins and a few she loses to them but on the biggest stages the Williamses have a big edge.

·
Premium Member
19,802 Posts
Maybe people should celebrate her coming back instead of putting all these expectations on her. I feel that she needs time to adjust before we really start seeing her old form.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Right now (based on Kim's rep), I'll say she's not the only one. We;ll see what happens when she returns. As for Ana, Jelena, Elena, Svetlana and the others, they need to work on their self-confidence when they play Serena and Venus in big matches. As I said back in Jan., Serena shouldn't have won the AO AND they had on her on the ropes before caving.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
do you even know kim's h-2-h against serena :lol:
The Great White Hype lives again.

The H2H against is Serena 7-1.

Clijster's pain tolerance is no doubt higher. But she will never, EVER have the singleness of focus she had before becoming a mother. To answer the thread starter's question, no, she's no threat to Venus or Serena. (Actually, she kind of IS Venus, only more committed to defense over offense. And shorter.)

·
Registered
3,372 Posts

Clijster's pain tolerance is no doubt higher. But she will never, EVER have the singleness of focus she had before becoming a mother. To answer the thread starter's question, no, she's no threat to Venus or Serena/
but only 6-4 down to venus, winning the last two, So has a shot at one of them ;)

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Major respect to Venus and Rena, but unless one of them wins RG (which is highly possible) then their dominance of the tour isn't complete. Not like 2002/3. They don't have the fear factor or the game they had then. The possibility to step up is there; it's just not being taken. Hopefully Venus will profit from this and win RG 2009 :drool:

But people need to stop hyping Kim up. She has an ok h2h against Venus, but her only win came against tired and alreadythinkingabouthe Serenaslamin2003Rena. Kim could injure herself by overtraining and the whole comeback could get shot (I sincerely hope not), so absolutely nothing is certain.

Reactions: Uranium

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

Clijster's pain tolerance is no doubt higher. But she will never, EVER have the singleness of focus she had before becoming a mother. To answer the thread starter's question, no, she's no threat to Venus or Serena/
Yes, Serena has the dominant head-to-head 7-1. However, Kim and Serena have not played since 2003. Also, kim has a closer head-to-head with venus (6-4 Venus).

I think she'll present a greater challenge than the rest of the tour if she can play up to par again.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
I don't recall her really getting in the way that much last time...unless she found something new to bring to the table I'd assume she falls under the "any pro can beat any pro on any given day" rubric...nothing special. :shrug:

In fact, I'd imagine Serena would be more inspired to beat up on Saint Kim for old times sake than any of "the current 12 top 10 Russians". ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts