Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the light that Kim Clijsters is about to surpass the point totals of the No.1 ranked WTA player of SERENA WILLIAMS, who has held that spot for over 57 weeks and acquired 4 Grand Slam titles during her reign, Clijsters will bring up new issues when she get the coveted No.1 title.

Clijsters is a fine tennis player with a good personality and lots of potential, but a memorable holder of the No.1 spot she will not be as long as she continues to have certain defecits in her overall game.

First, Clijsters will be the first No.1 ranked player to not have a Grand Slam title. All of the previous 11 players were not only GS title holders, but multi title holders as well. Kim has no titles and none in sight as long as she continues to be unable to get bu SERENA, VENUS and now Justine Henin-Hardene (JHH) in Grand Slam events.
Kim is not the best player in Belgium, at this time, so how can she truly represent the WTA as their premier player in the world?

Secondly, Clijsters is rapidly gaining the reputation as a choker when she plays important matches. The first major erruption of this fault was at the Australian Open when she could not hold on to a 5-1 lead and was outplayed by the eventual champion and No.1 player, SERENA WILLIAMS. Kim choked once again while playing JHH in the Acura finals, losing a match that analyst say she could have won. clijsters did, however, win a title the previous week at the Bank of the West, but that was against another player who also has the habit of choking in three set matches of late.

Finally, another weakness in Kim may be her lack of aggressiveness and that may be the reason for the previously mentioned issues. Kim does not show the confidence of other No.1 players and is turning into the Phil Mickelson of tennis (go to a golf site).

But, at any rate, Clijsters will be the new WTA No.1 ranked player in a few weeks and hopefully she will become a worthy title holder by overcoming some of the shortages in her game.

TR :cool:

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Tee - Enough already. You made your point weeks ago. You're right on a lot of the technical issues, but you're turning in 'Johnny One-Note'. You seem like an insightful person. How about turning that insight to a topic that doesn't involve Belgium?

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
TeeRexx said:
In the light that Kim Clijsters is about to surpass the point totals of the No.1 ranked WTA player of SERENA WILLIAMS, who has held that spot for over 57 weeks and acquired 4 Grand Slam titles during her reign, Clijsters will bring up new issues when she get the coveted No.1 title.

Clijsters is a fine tennis player with a good personality and lots of potential, but a memorable holder of the No.1 spot she will not be as long as she continues to have certain defecits in her overall game.

First, Clijsters will be the first No.1 ranked player to not have a Grand Slam title. All of the previous 11 players were not only GS title holders, but multi title holders as well. Kim has no titles and none in sight as long as she continues to be unable to get bu SERENA, VENUS and now Justine Henin-Hardene (JHH) in Grand Slam events.
Kim is not the best player in Belgium, at this time, so how can she truly represent the WTA as their premier player in the world?

Secondly, Clijsters is rapidly gaining the reputation as a choker when she plays important matches. The first major erruption of this fault was at the Australian Open when she could not hold on to a 5-1 lead and was outplayed by the eventual champion and No.1 player, SERENA WILLIAMS. Kim choked once again while playing JHH in the Acura finals, losing a match that analyst say she could have won. clijsters did, however, win a title the previous week at the Bank of the West, but that was against another player who also has the habit of choking in three set matches of late.

Finally, another weakness in Kim may be her lack of aggressiveness and that may be the reason for the previously mentioned issues. Kim does not show the confidence of other No.1 players and is turning into the Phil Mickelson of tennis (go to a golf site).

But, at any rate, Clijsters will be the new WTA No.1 ranked player in a few weeks and hopefully she will become a worthy title holder by overcoming some of the shortages in her game.

TR :cool:
Actually this is nothing new. A recent example on the men's tour is Marcelo Rios. He won a couple of Masters events and got to the final of the Australian Open, but never won a major, yet got all the way to #1. I think the fact that Kim is on the brink of overtaking Serena is exciting for the U.S. Open, however, will she be the #1 player at year end? I think not. Even if Serena and Venus are out for the rest of the year- Kim has her hands full with Justine and possibly Jen or Lindsay if they pick up their games.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
doloresc said:
be careful, tee rexx. you may be asking for trouble because if clijsters wins the us open, this thread will be bumped up frequently. :eek:
No #1 has ever NOT won a GS title, so I expe t Kim to win one inthe next couple years. And if V & S are both out of the Open ....

alfajeffster - Name me a player who WANTS to be comapred to Marcelo Rios.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Volcana - Kim will not be holding the No.1 spot for 104 weeks, so I doubt that she will win a title during her No.1 reign.

Secondly, this post is not about Belgium, it is about Clijsters.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
:yippee: a post about Belgium ! ! ! :dance:

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
If Kim makes it to number one this week what can we all really say? Despite not winning a Grand Slam title, the computer says she has played the required amount of tournaments to take that position.

Coupled with the fact Serena cannot defend her points because of her injury, it may seem like a flawed system to everyone but I hardly would consider Kim being a "false" number 1.

Frankly, this really is a unneccessary thread.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Volcana said:
No #1 has ever NOT won a GS title, so I expe t Kim to win one inthe next couple years. And if V & S are both out of the Open ....

alfajeffster - Name me a player who WANTS to be comapred to Marcelo Rios.
He's actually admired by quite a few players- both past and present. He's been compared to John McEnroe AND Andre Agassi- and he's also widely considered to be the biggest waste of great talent in the past 20 years. I was at a match of his at Indian Wells 2 years ago, on an outside court, and was standing next to several touring pros who were watching the match and cheering him on with "Viva Chino!"

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Jakeev said:
If Kim makes it to number one this week what can we all really say? Despite not winning a Grand Slam title, the computer says she has played the required amount of tournaments to take that position.

Coupled with the fact Serena cannot defend her points because of her injury, it may seem like a flawed system to everyone but I hardly would consider Kim being a "false" number 1.

Frankly, this really is a unneccessary thread.
Yeah, yeah....but it´s only that it denigrates the no.1 position when the no.1 player isn´t even the best of her own country!! :lol:

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jakeev - The title of #1 is not only the top point getter, but intinsicly, it is supposed to represent the best player on the tour and an equal representation of previous #1 players as well.

I am not sorry that you think that I am the singular person of this opinion because paid analyst (Jon Werthiem) are also of the same view as me.

I appreciated Graf, Seles, Navratilova, the williams and others as they held the top spot, but I see Clijsters as having a #1 that deserves an asterisk, at this time.
Later, things may change in her favor.

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
Willow said:
Didn't Magnus Norman also become #1 without winning a Slam?
sure did, and not too long ago Ivan Lendl was #1 without being the holder of a major title- happened to him a couple of times in his career actually. I can't remember the last year-end #1 who never won a major, though- anybody help me on this...

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Willow/alf - Gosh darn it, I thought I mentioned the letters 'WTA' several times in my post. :rolleyes:

·
***** Emeritus
45,106 Posts
TeeRexx said:
Jakeev - The title of #1 is not only the top point getter, but intinsicly, it is supposed to represent the best player on the tour and an equal representation of previous #1 players as well.
So, if Serena is (clearly) the better player, it's her own "fault" if she's not the number 1 in the rankings.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
The Crow said:
So, if Serena is (clearly) the better player, it's her own "fault" if she's not the number 1 in the rankings.
She can´t help that the ranking system rewards Kim for playing much but doesn´t penalize her losses!!

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Come on guys...can we all please stop hating on Kim. This is going to be one of her grandest moments. Try to be happy for her. This girl has worked HARD to get to where she is today. Imagine if YOUR fave was in the same position. Give Kim her props. She's been nothing but super sane and nice. She is a great representative of women's tennis and I think the WTA would be proud to have her as their #1. She is a true role model. She is respectful, hardworking, personable and reasonable. I have met Kim several times and she always treated me with respect, like I was a person and not some crazed fan who wanted something from her. So please, I'm begging you, enjoy this achievement of her WITH HER. Imagine if YOU were in her position. It's a pretty amazing milestone. And everyone gets there in different ways. Now she'll set the record as the first woman to get to #1 before she won her first grand slam. That's ok. That's cool. :)

Reactions: ans and Brαm

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
crow - so in your magnanimous opinion, Kim is a far superior player to multi Grand slam winn, SERENA WILLIAMS.

Now THAT is an interesting statement. :rolleyes:

Vs1 - Nice post.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.