Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the end Kim Clijsters says her heart wasn't in the game anymore. The truth is her heart left the game after winning the 2005 US OPEN. The drive and the ambition was gone. Clijsters will probably be known as the best ever one slam wonder. Even Mauresmo and Mary Pierce have more slams then Kim and that's surprising. Clijsters says she had tough injuries join the club girlfriend everyone has had injuries but you don't see them complaining about it or whining to the media about it. I agree with Francesca Schiavone said about Clijsters at the Australian Open a few years back she just talks too much. So now that Kim's gone when you look at her career she was a chronic under achiever. Despite what Kim's fans say she will be known as a one slam wonder the kind of player that did not have the grit to be a great champion. Winning one slam means you only had one big moment that's it. A one slam wonder is not a great champion in my book. And Clijsters is just that. Now Justine Henin she is a great champion she has overcome lots of injuries and doubt and pain in her life. I admire Justine so much more she sees she has so much ability and talent and she wants to make the most of her tennis days. I feel Cljsters will regret this a few years down the road and by then it will be too late.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
In the end Kim Clijsters says her heart wasn't in the game anymore. The truth is her heart left the game after winning the 2005 US OPEN. The drive and the ambition was gone. Clijsters will probably be known as the best ever one slam wonder. Even Mauresmo and Mary Pierce have more slams then Kim and that's surprising. Clijsters says she had tough injuries join the club girlfriend everyone has had injuries but you don't see them complaining about it or whining to the media about it. I agree with Francesca Schiavone said about Clijsters at the Australian Open a few years back she just talks too much. So now that Kim's gone when you look at her career she was a chronic under achiever. Despite what Kim's fans say she will be known as a one slam wonder the kind of player that did not have the grit to be a great champion. Winning one slam means you only had one big moment that's it. A one slam wonder is not a great champion in my book. And Clijsters is just that. Now Justine Henin she is a great champion she has overcome lots of injuries and doubt and pain in her life. I admire Justine so much more she sees she has so much ability and talent and she wants to make the most of her tennis days. I feel Cljsters will regret this a few years down the road and by then it will be too late.
Couldn't have said it better... :yeah:

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
i think she will go down as a one slam wonder though its not the case but thats what the history books will read and its a shame she will be lumped with players like majoli because she was better than that!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
So now that Kim's gone when you look at her career she was a chronic under achiever. Despite what Kim's fans say she will be known as a one slam wonder the kind of player that did not have the grit to be a great champion. Winning one slam means you only had one big moment that's it. A one slam wonder is not a great champion in my book. And Clijsters is just that. Now Justine Henin she is a great champion she has overcome lots of injuries and doubt and pain in her life. I admire Justine so much more she sees she has so much ability and talent and she wants to make the most of her tennis days. I feel Cljsters will regret this a few years down the road and by then it will be too late.
You have repeated the same thing in about 5 similar threads, I'm pretty sure everybody understood your point by now. Get over it.

·
Registered
39,623 Posts
She's even above Jana Novotna, I have to agree, although Jana was greater at doubles for sure...

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Kim is not One Slam Wonder!

If she is then what are Chris O'Neil and Barbara Jordan???

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
yeh i think she will be a one slam wonder, but not in a negative sense.. i think it can be a positive thing, she's a 'wonder'!! lol! its nothing to be ashamed of to be a one slam wonder..

someone mentioned mary pierce earlier, and even though she's won two slams it feels that kims achieved more... maybe thats just because she's mentioned more or publicised or whatever, but that how it feels right now...

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Chris O'Neil is the 1977 Australian Open champion.
Barbara Jordan is the 1978 Australian Open champion.
O'Neil is 19-52 in Tour matches; Jordan is 50-90. Both never reached another Tour (not Slam) final.

Reactions: Sammm

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Is everyone dense?

One slam with four finals does not equate a one-slam wonder. She was #1 in the world, she won five Tier Is, two Year End Championships. That is not a one-slam wonder. A one-slam wonder would be someone like Gaston Gaudio.
Completely agree, including density-part. Kim has dominated the tour; a one-slam wonder doesn't. I won't give examples of one-slam wonders in women's tennis. Even a 2-slam winner can intrisically be a one-slam wonder. I know one, or maybe even two. All I want to say is bias is huge these days. Why not express the one-slam wonderness of some other players? Funny that has never come up. You've had the time to do that for 3 years now. As tennis fans, why not some more nuance and demonstration of knowlegde? I'm surprised about the superficial approach of this thread, cq. thread starter. I would expect such comments of someone who just started watching tennis a week ago.

Reactions: tennismaster8820

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Completely agree, including density-part. Kim has dominated the tour; a one-slam wonder doesn't. I won't give examples of one-slam wonders in women's tennis. Even a 2-slam winner can intrisically be a one-slam winner. I know one, or maybe even two. All I want to say is bias is huge these days. Why not express the one-slam wonderness of some other players? Funny that has never come up. You've had the time to do that for 3 years now. As tennis fans, why not some more nuance and demonstration of knowlegde? I'm surprised about the superficial approach of this thread, cq. thread starter. I would expect such comments of someone who just started watching tennis a week ago.
when did she dominate the tour? the US Open Series '05 when she got beaten by Shuai Peng in San Diego?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
when did she dominate the tour? the US Open Series '05 when she got beaten by Shuai Peng in San Diego?
Well, maybe you were laying in a coma then in 2005. You mean the whole world was crazy, all officials, all journalists were?

·
Banned
10,668 Posts
I think it's safe to say when you win most of your matches, consistently reach Slam semifinals if not better, win multiple titles a year, mostly losing from quarters to finals when you do lose...it may not be domination ala Serena, but it's up there.

I'm not even a Kim fan. :help:

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
Yes she did! :rolleyes:
And early that year when during four weeks she won 14 consecutive matches including 6 matches vs Top-6 players.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I think it's safe to say when you win most of your matches, consistently reach Slam semifinals if not better, win multiple titles a year, mostly losing from quarters to finals when you do lose...it may not be domination ala Serena, but it's up there.

I'm not even a Kim fan. :help:
wow, then Justine's been dominating the tour for quite a long time :cool:

thanks ;)

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Nastya Myskina is a one slam wonder. Cljisters is in a different league. Alltogether. She could be up there, easily, with Justine Henin had she had the same drive, focus and ruthlessness. Tennis isn't her life. Good luck to her.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts