Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=afp-tennis_wta_usa_clijsters&prov=afp&type=lgns

Clijsters stands by gamesmanship charge

August 4, 2003
LOS ANGELES (AFP) - Kim Clijsters doesn't make a habit of backing down on the tennis court, and she wasn't backing down from her charge that fellow Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne isn't above a little gamesmanship in a tennis match.

Clijsters, who lost to Henin-Hardenne in the final at San Diego on Sunday, denied that it was poor sportsmanship that prompted her to suggest that her opponent might not have needed an injury time out to treat blisters on her foot.

"It's her full right to do it," Clijsters said of the five-minute time out, which Henin-Hardenne took after losing the first set.

But she added: "Sometimes she was limping after a point that she lost, then next point she was running all the balls down. Those were like little signs where I thought maybe she's faking it a little bit."

Clijsters insisted she didn't intend to take anything away from Henin-Hardenne's performance.

"I have absolutely no problem saying that she was the better player - in the second and third set, she was so much better than I," Clijsters said. "I don't like losing, but I think I give a lot of credit to my opponents."

Clijsters has pretty stern views on playing hurt in any case.

"I think the first time I ever called a trainer on court was this year in Berlin, and I actually pulled my hamstring," said the 20-year-old, who could grab the world number one ranking this week in Los Angeles, where Henin-Hardenne isn't entered.

"You see it in a lot of matches, where players pull out when they're down 6-1, 4-0. I think it takes some of the respect out of tennis," she said.

"Tennis is a physical sport, and you get injuries. Unless you break a leg or something, I don't think there's honestly a reason to pull out, unless you have the next week a big tournament coming up where you don't want to take any serious risk."

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Good for Kim.:) While I think Justine is going to end up the better tennis player, Kim seems like she is heading towards being the better person, and in the end, that is really what matters the most.

GO KIMMIE:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: !!!

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Tell us how you really feel Kim, hahahaha!
Go ahead........

·
Registered
883 Posts

"You see it in a lot of matches, where players pull out when they're down 6-1, 4-0. I think it takes some of the respect out of tennis," she said.

"Tennis is a physical sport, and you get injuries. Unless you break a leg or something, I don't think there's honestly a reason to pull out, unless you have the next week a big tournament coming up where you don't want to take any serious risk."[/QUOTE]

WELL MAY BE THERE IN A LOT OF PAIN AND CAN'T TAKE NO MORE :confused: .
I do like Kim but what a stupid thing to say

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I don't think what she meant is if somebody just suddenly gets hurt at 6-1 4-0 and retires. If somebody twists thier ankle or something at that point and they can't continue, that's very fair. However I don't think it looks good when a player is treated a couple of times during the match and continues to play but then when they are about to lose decide they can't continue anymore. Sometimes it looks like the player just doesn't want to lose and they'd rather just retire.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
liuxuan said:
go on Kim!! you tell 'em!!!

I totally agree with Kim, and i am losing a lot of respect for Justine. This is the third big match i have witnessed her gamesmanship to try and swing it her way - in the wimbledon semi's against Jen in 2001, RG this ear and now.

I dont have much respect for her anymore, although I really fear for her, the next time kim steps on the same court - theres gonna be war.

It wont happen at the US Open though, since Venus will tear them both apart :D :p

Good luck for the US Open, Venus, Jennifer, and Kim. Make it a fine sporting occasion!!!
what did she do to Jennifer other than kicking her ass? :confused:

now they are inventing stuff, oh wait, she called the rain upon. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
cool bird said:

"Tennis is a physical sport, and you get injuries. Unless you break a leg or something, I don't think there's honestly a reason to pull out, unless you have the next week a big tournament coming up where you don't want to take any serious risk."
WELL MAY BE THERE IN A LOT OF PAIN AND CAN'T TAKE NO MORE :confused: .
I do like Kim but what a stupid thing to say[/QUOTE]

I agree, so a player should play injured just because it doesn't look good to pull out, if they aggravate the injury it's ok :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
mboyle said:
Good for Kim.:) While I think Justine is going to end up the better tennis player, Kim seems like she is heading towards being the better person, and in the end, that is really what matters the most.
why does "being the better person" matter the most?

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
CC said:
Sticking to her guns I see. I smell a serious feud about to develop.
Actually now that I think about it, this new feud is really about Kim getting to number 1 without winning a slam, and Justine having won a slam but isn't the one acquiring the number 1 position. They resent each other --- at least that's what I think.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Car Key Boi said:
why does "being the better person" matter the most?
he said "in thend" and hes right, obviously, as in the end, life is more important than the tennis court - even Hingis found that out.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Car Key Boi said:
don't answer for other people
Message boards are for everybody... pms are for if you just want to talk to one person :)

Reactions: Lynx

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I think that if the match will be over in a few games, a player should stay out there and show a little respect for the paying fans.

There have been too many retirements in the last set.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
disposablehero said:
She said exactly the things I want to hear from a player.
Absolutely. Me as well.

It's funny 'cause Kim, like many players, rarely say anything arrogant or what-not, so their critics have to jump on anything to criticize them with. And this appears to be one.

I'd be more concerned with other comments made during the week if anything.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
this coming from kim clijsters, im sure everyone's opinoins and views about what serena did, seem to shift over and change, now that kim in a way feels the same about justine :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
deliberately or not, Kim is subtly invoking memories of the FO incident. good for her! more pressure like this and Justine will have to think twice before pulling one of her stunts. go Kim! :kiss:

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
well this is an interesting case in what the important thing is who says something and not what they say.

Justine called a medical time out, which is within[b/] the rules, she had blisters, they were showed on tv and the WTA trainer could verify that.

Whether Kim thinks it wasn't hurting it's irrelevant, Justine has been criticized for asuming what other players think, but it's ok for Kim to decide what other players feel :rolleyes:

Justine has been criticized for ages because she accused Davenport of faking injuries (which was wrong IMO), now Kim does exactly the same and it's right because it's nice Kimmy.

I might remind everyone that she considers it's wrong for a player to pull out of a match unless they broke a leg or something. Well, Serena, Davenport, Dokic and nearly every player have pull out of matches because of an injury and when they weren't playing the next week, so should we take Kim's word as the wholy truth and accuse all those players of being bad sports? :confused:

or Kim's words are to be taken seriously only when they refer to Justine, even when it's obvious she is wrong. I don't think she deserves to be crucified for that, many players including Justine had said stuff like that, but to take that as "Kim can't do/say anything wrong" is frankly stupid.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
tennischick said:
deliberately or not, Kim is subtly invoking memories of the FO incident. good for her! more pressure like this and Justine will have to think twice before pulling one of her stunts. go Kim! :kiss:
it doesn't seem to bother her too much, she just won a title

1 - 20 of 73 Posts