Tennis Forum banner

Clijsters sets up semi-final clash with Hingis

154 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Josh 
#1 ·
Ananova - Kim Clijsters beat fellow Belgian Justine Henin in straight sets to advance to the semi-finals of the adidas International in Sydney.

Clijsters triumphed 7-6 6-2 to set up a semi-final clash with defending champion Martina Hingis.

"I am very happy. It's actually been one of my first real matches where I've played on a good level," said Clijsters.

"I wanted one of these matches before I start the first grand slam of the year and I think that was an important win for me."

Clijsters fought a tough first set that saw her drop three set points - and her serve - at 5-3.

After what appeared to be a bad line call in the following game, Clijsters lost another set point and Henin held serve. Clijsters then lost her serve to give Henin a 6-5 lead.

After missing two set points, Henin gave Clijsters the chance to even at deuce before serving two double faults and setting up a tiebreaker at 6-6.

"At first it could have gone either way. I had three set points earlier and then she had two set points and I finally finished it off, but it was really close," Clijsters said.

The right-handed teenager was positive about her match against Hingis, who reached the semi-finals without dropping a set.

"It has been close the last couple of times I have played her, and I beat her at Indian Wells last year," Clijsters said.

"I saw her play today and she obviously looked comfortable out there, but I am looking forward to playing her."

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.