Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Although I will readily admit both Serena and Justine have proven to be the better players this year, I still will defend the ranking system.

Have you ever really taken a look at the ranking points. Points awarded to the different achievements seem perfectly reasonable to me.
If they do the ranking system is right and you have to accept the outcome.

Nevertheless, Justine is bound to take this #1 sometime soon...

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bee said:
Yeah...something is wrong with the ranking system...
Just plain weird....:) :) :)

Tiger woods is number 1 ...he didn't win any major title either... :) :)
Golf's system takes in account the last TWO years, so he does have majors in his ranking. I guess that's why he is still #1

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
great smash said:
Although I will readily admit both Serena and Justine have proven to be the better players this year, I still will defend the ranking system.
Yes, although those few here with more than a 4 week memory will recall that until April Kim was playing so much better than Justine that comparisons seemed ludicrous. Justine has been a better player for 4 months, but I don't think the ranking system should be required to reflect that.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Both Kim AND Tiger don't deserve their #1 rankings, although golf is basically a luck sport.

Something needs to be changed.

Two people with two slams, and neither are #1?? There is something wrong.

And one of them even has 7-8 titles to her ranking. :eek:

·
Registered
15,432 Posts
Well..there's still in indoor season, the WTA
Championships and the Aussie Open for Kim.
Anything can happen- Kim doesn't seem the
Jana Novotna type. I'm sure she'll win a grand
slam next when the pressure to defend will be
quite a task for Justine. On the other hand...Jana
did blow to Wimbledon finals before finally winning
one- so perhaps number 3 will be the one for Kim.
Besides alot of things can happen on tour..who knows?
Right?

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Not for long.

I mean, how is she supposed to go into the indoor season with any confidence? She is the number one ranked player in the world and of the top six players, she is the only one without a major title. As far as I am concerned, the battle for number one is going to be between Justine and Serena and I expect them to play in the final of the year end championships.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Greenout said:
Right?
This final WAS #3.

Of course you mean #4, right?? ;)

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Knizzle said:
Golf's system takes in account the last TWO years, so he does have majors in his ranking. I guess that's why he is still #1
However, golf's ranking system counts results near two years much less than it does the most recent results. So Tiger's Masters title from last year does not weigh very heavily on the rankings.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Greenout said:
Right?
You mean the fourth time rather, for Kim huh?!

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
lizchris said:
Not for long.

I mean, how is she supposed to go into the indoor season with any confidence? She is the number one ranked player in the world and of the top six players, she is the only one without a major title. As far as I am concerned, the battle for number one is going to be between Justine and Serena and I expect them to play in the final of the year end championships.
lizchris, you have been believing commentators again, I thought I already clarified that for you. I love Johhny Mac, but he was guessing and guessing wrong. Serena cannot regain the #1 ranking this year, unless she comes back a week from tomorrow, plays 6 events, and doesn't lose a match.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
I bet Kim feels as low a Jenn. Trotting all over the globe winning meaningless titles and failing miserably at the big dances.

Justine should have given this one to Kim. Kim in my eyes is a Complete Choker.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
lizchris said:
Not for long.

This is just nonsence. Justine might very well end the year #1, Serena on the other hand?

Surprising as this may seen, when the race standings are anounced on Monday, you'll find that Kim is about 150 points behind Justine, so basically whoever has the best season from now thill year's end will be ranked #1.

Serena on the other hand is ranked 1700 behind Justine. You can't honestly expect her to close this gap with 2 months and no GS to go. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
It will all work out folks. Kims ranking is over a year not since the FO SF. If Kim defends her points till the end of the year she wil have the end of year championships in her count again plus more wins and more tournaments. If she doesn't, Justine is almost certainly going to be number one. Justine just has to do better than she did last year and its easier for her than for Kim as any time she beats Kim she will be 100 points nearer her goal. If Kim hangs on and starts beating Justine again we will just have a difference between the best GS performer and the best performer over the year (again)

With 72 and 63 wins already this year its pretty clear they are going to be number one and two in some order so I don't really see why we can't wait and see if Justine can't grab the number one spot by continuing doing what she is doing or Kim can defend it by beating Justine and the best of the rest in the end of year championships and the indoor season.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i think for the ranking's they should do total points divided by tournaments played.
then we'd have Serena on top, Justine second, Vensus third and Kim forth(i think, my calculation may be a bit off) but in my opinion thats wow the girls should be ranked.

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Micky said:
i think for the ranking's they should do total points divided by tourneyments played.
then we'd have Serena on top, Justine second, Vensus third and Kim forth(i think, my calculation may be a bit off) but in my opinion thats wow the girls should be ranked.
Divide Kim's points by 22 and Venus' points by 8, and Kim will STILL be ahead. Despite playing Tier III's that no player of her caliber could afford to play under a divisor system.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.