1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clijsters refuses to commit for Fed Cup quarter-finals :eek::eek::eek:
2003-04-27 18:55:03 GMT (Reuters)
By Simon Cambers

BREE, Belgium, April 27 (Reuters) - Kim Clijsters engineered Belgium's 5-0 Fed Cup first-round whitewash of Austria by winning all three of her matches but on Sunday refused to commit herself for her country's quarter-final against Slovakia in July.

Scheduled to play a WTA event in Stanford the week after the Slovakia clash, the world number two was worried the long journey could hamper her chances of victory in the Californian event.

"I'm not sure if I'll play," Clijsters said. "I don't like the idea of all that travelling and the jet-lag. I'm still not sure."

Clijsters refused to disclose any further details but if she decided to skip the tie, it would put a huge burden on Justine Henin-Hardenne to pull off a win against the Daniela Hantuchova-led Slovakia.

Last year, the 2001 champions went out to Italy in the quarter-finals after both Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne chose to concentrate on their WTA tour commitments.

But Belgian number two Henin-Hardenne confirmed she would definitely play in the July tie.

"I think last year I tried something different, to play at Stanford, and it didn't work. But that's not why I'm playing Fed Cup," Henin-Hardenne said.

"I said last year I would be coming back and it's because I realise that Fed Cup is important for me. I enjoy playing in a team situation and it is good for my game."

"It has to be a personal choice. Everyone has their own personal feelings and she's (Clijsters) got to make her choice about what's best and how it fits in."

However, both players said they were looking forward to the possibility of a semi-final showdown with the United States in November, provided they can get past Slovakia.

"It is perhaps a little early but it would be a great match," Clijsters said. "I'm sure Justine and I will be very motivated for that one."

Henin-Hardenne, the only player so far in 2003 to beat world number one Serena Williams, said challenges like playing the Williams sisters was something she always relished.

"Serena and Venus are a very good team of course but it is great for Belgium to have two top players and a great team and I think we have a great chance."

========

Of course, its not as bad as the title makes it sound (she didn't refuse to commit period, but is instead unsure as it will be right before Stanford again this year), but still. Disappointing.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
hmm...I don't think they'll need her to get past slovakia...if she don't play Els Callens and Justine can play singles and Callens/Maes play doubles

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I also dont think Belgium needs Clijsters to get past Slovakia. Justine can handle Daniela and the Slovaks with the help of Callens and co. But Clijsters will definitely play in the finals, and there isnt a reason why she wouldnt.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't mean to suggest that Belgium would fall on its face without Kim, but it is disappointing that she might not play the quarterfinals.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
2,109 Posts
Assuming Belgium and the US do meet in the Semis?, who would get home court advantage and/or get to choose the type of surface. What are the rules that determine this??

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
WtaTour4Ever said:
Assuming Belgium and the US do meet in the Semis?, who would get home court advantage and/or get to choose the type of surface. What are the rules that determine this??
It would be like the last few years when one country hosts both semis and the final. One country has to nominate to host the final series, and Belgium have already said if they make it they will nominate to host it and given the good attendance at the Antwep tournie I think they'd be in with a good shot. I'm not sure who choices the surface though, it might b ethe iTF or it could be the host country, not sure on that one.

But if it was done on a home/away basis like Davis Cup, Belgium would have hosted it as last time they met was in Las Vegas in the semis in 2000.

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
i think

1) they could be upset by Slovakia if Kim doesnt play....Daniela might not be in good form, but Justine has trouble against her (especially when Dani hasa busted foot and hand)....its a possibility

2) if the W/S decide to play the semis, Belgium dont have a chance. the W/S wont like the idea of the belgian girls troubling them time after time, and the doubles tie will be crucial, and will they beat the W/S at doubles? i dont think so...

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
SerenaJWilliams said:
i think

1) they could be upset by Slovakia if Kim doesnt play....Daniela might not be in good form, but Justine has trouble against her (especially when Dani hasa busted foot and hand)....its a possibility
here is the head to head:
Justine Henin-Hardenne vs Daniela Hantuchova

QF Leipzig Sep 29 2002 J Henin-Hardenne(3) - D Hantuchova(5) 6-4 7-5
4 US Open Sep 8 2002 D Hantuchova(11) - J Henin-Hardenne(8) 6-1 3-6 7-64
4 Indian W. Mar 17 2002 D Hantuchova(18) - J Henin-Hardenne(3) 6-3 6-3
2 Gold Coast Jan 6 2002 J Henin-Hardenne(2) - D Hantuchova 1-6 6-0 6-2

I dont see where Justine's trouble lie cause Dani doesnt seem to be dominating their head to head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts