Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Kim wins the tournament or if Serena loses before the quarter finals, she will earn the number one spot.

What do you think? Is she capable of succeeding?

I think she can reach far, but I'm afraid she won't win Wimbledon. And I certainly don't see Serena chocking very soon.
Maybe later ;)

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
It could happen, but I don't see Serena losing before the quarterfinals, but it is possible Kim can because she isn't a good grasscourt player.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
both will get to at least the Querters, but depending on the draw. I believe that if Kim plays Amelie or Jennifer or Lindsay(if she plays) and especially Venus in the semis, she will lose. Serena on the other hand has to worry about Jen, Venus and Justine.
Of course an upset by any other player can occur, but it is unlikely.
Kim definitely will be #1 at Us Open or after, since she plays a lot and is consistent.
Kim Clijsters + being consistent + playing lots - not winning majors + being number#1 possibly= Martina Hingis

·
Banned
371 Posts
And too rude to Martina. :fiery: People keep emphasizing she played a lot and not winning a GS. They do, indeed, forget she still won numerous tier I titles consistently.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Kim wont win Wimbledon.. she has the Tier I's to win so it's all cool.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
KIM could be #1 without having won any major ever. That does not equal MARTINA HINGIS!! Btw, one year when Hingis was number one with no majors she had 9 tournament wins!

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Kim is threatening Serena for the top spot the way Graf threatened Seles for the top spot in the ealry nineties.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If Kim plays keeps her level of play of the last 8 months then there is no way stopping her, she will get to the number one spot. And now that Justine won her first slam I think that Kim will be very motivated too, their careers have always been very similar. Maybe Kim wins the US-Open or even Wimbledon.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
ROFLMBAO! @ Kim winning Wimbledon! LOL

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I love Martina. I miss her very much.
But why not compare. Everybody complained about the system when Hingis was #1. Kim might be #1 one without having one slams. It would be even worse because she has not ever won a singles slam, while Hingis won 5 singles slams. And Kim's record against top players is not so great. She lost to Serena numerous times, and she lost to Venus one time, and to Justine couple times.
She plays a lot, and she wins a lot, but not the slams nor against the other three top players. Yes, she does compare to Martina, except Martina, as someone said, won lots of other titles. I am just stating an interesting fact, I do like Kim, and I do like Martina, so don't be pissed just because someone might have shitted in your corner and something stinks(missy said that) ;)

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
O she's lost more than once to Venus.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I don't want to get embroiled in the Kim-Martina-Serena triangle that seems to have sprung up here, but it is a statistical possibility that Kim could, if not overtake, atleast close the gap with Serena after Wimbledon. Serena has way more points to defend as Kim lost in the 2nd round last year. Plus, Serena isn't playing in any grass tune-ups to get more points and she's only played 12 tournaments in the last year vs. Kim's 22 so even if Serena wins Wimbledon, she'll be mostly defending the points she already has and every round Kim wins after the 1st round should add to her points

I'm not sure if I understand the whole points system correctly yet but that's my take on the situation...

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
LOL leave Martina alone :)

Kimmy can have the number one....i always prefered the slams anywayz

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
ROFLMBAO! @ Kim winning Wimbledon! LOL

I second that>>>>

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I think if Kim were to beat Venus/ Serena at wimbledon and then do the same at USO ------ I Think she can do it, then she would be the deserved number 1

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
More than the number 1 ranking, I want Kim to win her first Slam. It's about time.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Kim can only get it if she performs better than Serena at Wimby.

Kim already performs better than Serena at RG. SO WHY IN THE HELL OTHERS QUESTIONING THE LEGITIMACY OF HER NUMBER ONE RANKING???????

KIM could only get it if she outperform Serena in the last two slams and if she can do it then she deserves it. That besides winning Tier 1 tournaments as of late.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
It's nice to trouce your no name opponents in the early rounds of a tournament but to get trouced in the final don't equal a great tournament.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts