Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The website has the two-time defending champion Kim Clijsters, the 2002 runner-up Magdalena Maleeva, and Elena Dementieva committed to the 225K Tier III event :D

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DA BACKHAND said:
A number 1 playing a tier III (if she still is at that time)? When Venus played Gold Coast there were no Tier II at the same time, but isn't it another Tier II the same week as the Seat Open?
Yeah, Linz is playing the same week. Luxembourg was Kim's first WTA title, so I'm assuming it has a lot of sentimental feelings for her. Plus, she likes the tournament because its semi-close to home...I hear she drives to this event...but this is an upgraded Tier III event.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Kim said she prefers to play tournaments she likes then tournament were she can gain money! She said luxembourg was a really good tournament and that she'll try to come back every year!! She won in 1999, 2001 and 2002 and was quarterfinalist in 2000!

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Yeah, yeah....sentiments, sentiments. But we´re talking about the WORLD NO.1 here!! What´s the world no.1 doing at a tier III?!

Pluuuuzzzz! Just another effort to win another easy title and it must be easy....Kim winning it 3 out 4 years..

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I'm sorry, but there is no way a #1 player should be allowed to play a Tier 3 event when there is a higher level event that same week.

That's just unfair to the lower ranked players.

Give the other players a chance, Kim.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
wtf? venus played in a tier IV and Hingis and Seles have played Doha which is tier III, juju and kim were in the finals of Rosmalen a tier III. Sentimental value and commitment to a tournament's success is a good thing. Kim could probably go to Linz and get to the finals or win the finals and get just as many or way more points but if she wants to play in Luxembourg close to her home in Belgium more power to her. :D

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
I'm sorry, but there is no way a #1 player should be allowed to play a Tier 3 event when there is a higher level event that same week.

That's just unfair to the lower ranked players.

Give the other players a chance, Kim.
Word! But this is nothing new.....before the past 52 weeks, Kim was the queen of tier III´s. Only this year she won her FIRST tier I. After like FOUR years on tour! And people wanna compare her to Venus or Serena?!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
bandabou - And what's a smart-ass like you doing constantly criticizing a #1 player? Maybe once you reach #1 (or even #200) you will have room to talk :rolleyes:

I, for one, think it's great :) It's nice to see top players returning favors/sentiments, and you know it helps the Seat Open a lot to have a big draw like Clijsters. Kudos to her for not chasing money - or points. You say it's unfair to lower-ranked players, but I think it's the opposite. She is only taking away one position in the draw, and in the larger picture she helps bring the tournament more money and prestige, which in turns filters down to the other players at the event (and helps the event stay on the calendar).

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
I, too, find it strange that a number one player (we assume she will be number one by then) would play a Tier III event when there is a Tier II event playing at the same time. Venus played a Tier III event last year where there was on Tier II event playing at the same time (Justine played there too) and it was the first time Venus played a Tier III event in about three or four years. In addition, Venus was not the world number one when she played that Tier III event.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Why does it matter what events she plays? I don't see what the big deal is. She likes the tournament and wants to support them - so what? Hell, Clijsters only hurts herself because less points are available. I would think you all would be happy.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
treufreund said:
wtf? venus played in a tier IV and Hingis and Seles have played Doha which is tier III, juju and kim were in the finals of Rosmalen a tier III. Sentimental value and commitment to a tournament's success is a good thing. Kim could probably go to Linz and get to the finals or win the finals and get just as many or way more points but if she wants to play in Luxembourg close to her home in Belgium more power to her. :D
Correction, Venus played a Tier III. ;)

Oh, and there was no Tier II or higher playing at the same week, otherwise Venus would have played that instead.

I don't care how much you like a tournament, but it's time to move on when you're the #1 player playing a Tier III event when there is another higher event that week. I mean, if Serena did this, for get about it. She would be scolded for years to come.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I cant believe Kim is going back their, its like taking Candy from babys, but go Maggie and Alyona!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Martina Hingis played in Rosmalen 3 years ago as #1! :D

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
VenusForever - Why should Kim move on?

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Whatzup said:
Martina Hingis played in Rosmalen 3 years ago as #1! :D
Rosmalin like BMH is a high quality tier 3 event on grass, and always gets a good field. It provides more match practise then Eastborne as the draw is bigger. It also has a lot of pretige in Europe.

But the Seat Open?

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
What´s next?! Playing at the first challenger she won?! Pluuzzzz!!

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
jenglisbe said:
VenusForever - Why should Kim move on?
Because she is ranked #1.

The best player in the world is playing the smallest event of the week?? Does that make any sense??

If she's the best player in the world, she should be playing the highest level of competition, which would be at the Tier 2 that week. She shouldn't be playing "baby" tennis compared to her league.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
jenglisbe said:
bandabou - And what's a smart-ass like you doing constantly criticizing a #1 player? Maybe once you reach #1 (or even #200) you will have room to talk :rolleyes:

I, for one, think it's great :) It's nice to see top players returning favors/sentiments, and you know it helps the Seat Open a lot to have a big draw like Clijsters. Kudos to her for not chasing money - or points. You say it's unfair to lower-ranked players, but I think it's the opposite. She is only taking away one position in the draw, and in the larger picture she helps bring the tournament more money and prestige, which in turns filters down to the other players at the event (and helps the event stay on the calendar).
Oh like that, huh?! And what gives YOU the right to speak?! Or are you the no 530 or something ranked Kirsten Flipkens or Elke Clijsters?!

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
Because she is ranked #1.

The best player in the world is playing the smallest event of the week?? Does that make any sense??

If she's the best player in the world, she should be playing the highest level of competition, which would be at the Tier 2 that week. She shouldn't be playing "baby" tennis compared to her league.
Exactly! What´s she gaining by beating the Maleeva´s and Radiantevy´s of this world?!

Can you imagine the world no.1 and if Venus withdraws possible Open champ playing in LUXEMBOURGH?! Hell Luxembourgh is smaller than Belgium....that must be telling.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts