Tennis Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
47,654 Posts
fammmmedspin said:
Intimidating to whom? Kims record against most of the tour suggests they are hardly happy to see her in the draw - the list of players to beat her is hardly long. Not clear that this is less impressive to them than the rarer prospect of meeting Serena in the same tournament.

There is no reason why a number one should be "intimidating" - its perfectly obvious that you could have someone else who might be a better player than the number one. If they only win one or two or even 38 matches a year they won't be number one - however impressive they are when they do play. Intimidating number ones are pretty rare. ASV, Capriati and Davenport hardly qualify - either through inconsistency or the shortness of any period of dominance they might have. Hingis and even Graf were pretty likely to floor you but they had spells and days off and people they had problems with. Serena looked dominant last year but hasn't been so intimidating this year when she has played. She's also dominant to a far lesser degree than someone like Navratilova (or Graf in her best years) who at their best could kill twice as many opponents in a year for fewer losses - that was intimidating.

Who would want an intimidating number one anyway - Tyson fans who like 2 minute knockouts and ear biting? Intimidating number ones mean no surprises, pre-decided finals and a block to the upcoming stars of the game. If no one can play against them even if they have an interesting game it rarely sees the light of day. A less dominant number one means more uncertainty, less one-sided matches and the opportunity for younger stars to make leaps up the rankings by acquiring quality points to match their ability rather than languishing in a ranking list fossilised by the invincible and the worthy.
Crap, crap! At least Serena IS or HAS been intimidating. Kim doesn´t scare anyone.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
The fact of the matter is...this thread is about how compared to Kim's ancestors at #1, lol, Kim does not represent the #1 ranking. She does not consistently beat the top players, aka: Justine, Venus and Serena.

Does this mean that I hate Clijsters...lol definetly not. She is a great player, and obviously nobody can take away her accomplishment of being #1. She just doesn't represent a true #1 player, period!

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
I couldn't agree more :)

I've just never been convinced by the girl, talented player that she is.
To me, there's just something lacking in her game. It's no fluke or stroke of bad luck that she's never won a slam, in my opinion. Against Capriati she didn't choke, she just wasn't able to swap forehands on crucial points, and against Henin she was simply out hit.

And then as for her record against the Williams'....we don't even need to go there. When it comes to crunch matches, she's overwhelmed.

But she doesn't even carry the aura of self assurance that used to intimidate the foes of Hingis, or the pit bull intensity of Seles or Graf.

Clijsters may just be in her own mould, which would be good....if she was GOOD enough. She isn't, in my opinion.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.