Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I will take alot of flack for this thread, but it's just how I feel. This is why I could never grasp the concept of Kim being world #1 because despite that title, people still know they can beat her. This is not to say that previous #1's couldn't lose, but the other player would be intimidated before they step on the court. The respect for Clijsters as a #1 is not quite there. Kim should cut back that schedule a bit and focus on winning some majors, and other big tournaments, and skip a few tier 2's along the way. You need rest Kim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,126 Posts
Knizzle said:
I know I will take alot of flack for this thread, but it's just how I feel. This is why I could never grasp the concept of Kim being world #1 because despite that title, people still know they can beat her. This is not to say that previous #1's couldn't lose, but the other player would be intimidated before they step on the court. The respect for Clijsters as a #1 is not quite there. Kim should cut back that schedule a bit and focus on winning some majors, and other big tournaments, and skip a few tier 2's along the way. You need rest Kim.
I understand what you're saying.

As a #1 she's not as an imposing threatening force,
especially, when compared to Venus,Serena, or Lindsay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,837 Posts
Geez...she's been no.1 for less than a week. Give it some time for players and fans to get used to the fact that she is on top of the rankings. She did lose her match today but even before the tournament started she was the heavy favourite to win this match and the tournament. This is still the first time she's lost before the semis of a tournament and the first time she's lost to someone outside the top 4, for the rest of the players, that still means 'intimidating'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,514 Posts
Of course she isn't the best player in the world. We have established that haven't we?:eek: :confused: And yes she is intimidating, but not like Serena or Venus etc.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
182,035 Posts
Kim is well worthy of a #1
you don't win all those tourns without doing so

A Slam is just a matter of time for her
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
okay,her loss in the 2nd round it's not good news for the #1 of the world. but she's been playing the whole season almost non-stop! That's why she deserve #1! Maybe she isn't the best player in the world, but is there a best player? I don't think so, the top 3 is very close to eachother and are all very good players, they deserve it all.
It's good that she can rest for the US Open now.
Please quit your extremely irritating negativism, and lets get back to being objective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,358 Posts
Clijsters deserves to be #1 because she played by the rules and played alot of tournaments to earn her #1 ranking. Playing alot of tournaments is what the WTA Tour wants.

This loss will be a wakeup call for Kim. Well done Lina! :D
 
  • Like
Reactions: VivalaSeles

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
caelestia said:
Geez...she's been no.1 for less than a week. Give it some time for players and fans to get used to the fact that she is on top of the rankings. She did lose her match today but even before the tournament started she was the heavy favourite to win this match and the tournament. This is still the first time she's lost before the semis of a tournament and the first time she's lost to someone outside the top 4, for the rest of the players, that still means 'intimidating'.
She lost to Ai Sugi earlier this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
obvious you are intimidated otherwise there was no need for this thread :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,842 Posts
caelestia said:
Geez...she's been no.1 for less than a week. Give it some time for players and fans to get used to the fact that she is on top of the rankings. She did lose her match today but even before the tournament started she was the heavy favourite to win this match and the tournament. This is still the first time she's lost before the semis of a tournament and the first time she's lost to someone outside the top 4, for the rest of the players, that still means 'intimidating'.
This is the second post that you have successfully rebutted what the originator of this post had to say.

I am curious why he does not come or think about this himself instead showing his obvious bias against Kim Clijsters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jakeev said:
This is the second post that you have successfully rebutted what the originator of this post had to say.

I am curious why he does not come or think about this himself instead showing his obvious bias against Kim Clijsters.
What biases do I have against Kim Clijsters, Jakeev?? I like Kim, but I am also going to keep it real, and say what I think. Oh and next time, say my name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,160 Posts
Its obvious that any player would rather face Kim than Serena... And It's obvious that Kim's the number one because Serena's out for a few weeks.. (or months)

Cuz we know if she wasn't, Serena would still be the number one, and none of this would happen
 

·
In my new place!!
Joined
·
22,955 Posts
Losses are going to happen, dont care if you Kim, Venus or Serena. Kim's only been #1 a week or whatever, who to say she doesnt lose a match for the next few months? Even Martina, Serean, Venus lose/lost matches from time to time... Its just unfortunate it happened right when she became number one, its just going to add to everyones doubt that she's a legtimate #1. Lets she how she bounces back from this loss, that'll be a good indication on what kind of champ we have here.

And no, she's not as intimadting as playinf V or S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,216 Posts
NOBODY was as intimidating a #1 as Steffi Graf. Magaret Court and Martina Navratilova are right up there at #2 and #3, but in singles, all the players feared playing her all the time. It's what made the Hingis French Open Final in 1999 so much fun to watch- she did her best for nearly 2 years to say she wasn't intimidated by Graf, and that she wanted to play her, but then we have that classic runner-up acceptance speech:

"You're always so tough, you know, the one you want to beat in the final here in this tournament..."

Kim's got a long way to go to reach the heights of her personal hero: Stefanie Marie Graf. :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,635 Posts
knizzle you like kim? who are you fooling;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,943 Posts
DITTO

It's getting harder to intimidate players in the lockerroom. But Steffi/Margeret/Martina Navratilova/Seles...def had this down.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top