Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
35,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . . not that it will resonate with those who continue to want it to hold near mythical status.

Q. A few players have followed in the same vein who haven't won a major. Have you spoken to Caroline, Jelena, about not winning a Grand Slam and being No. 1?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, not really, because I don't think there's that much to say about it. Caroline is the girl who has been the most consistent player by far, injury‑free, played a lot of tournaments, but also did well in those tournaments.

She deserves to be up there. When she goes head‑to‑head against Serena or myself, you know, she has a losing record, but at the end of the day when you become No. 1, that doesn't matter.

To become No. 1, you need to have the qualities that she has. That is to be consistent and to last throughout a whole season.

·
Registered
33,663 Posts
To become No. 1, you need to have the qualities that she has. That is to be consistent and to last throughout a whole season.
This is exactly right. As soon as people let go of the expectation that being number 1 should mean that you're the best player in the world (there is no ranking system that would guaantee that that will always be true) there isn't any problem any more.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What is there to explain? You get most points, you become #1. That's how the system works.

Of course it's not the same as "best in the world". Being best in the world means being better than anyone else, which means not loosing to them. About every #1 in history has lost a match while being at the top.

To win a tournament you have to beat 5-7 players, not everyone (like in, for example, ski jumping). To be #1 you have to be consistent, you don't have to win with everyone. Neither Slam winners or #1s are best in the world. There is no such thing in tennis.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
idk Clijsters is honestly too genuinely sweet a person to say anything remotely negative. Plus she's been in Caro's position herself (although with much, much, much better results).

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
translation - me and serena are better players and play to win slams, we aint killing ourselves week in week out to be number 1, it aint worth the hassle.

it must be annoying for caro fans that the thing they use to confirm caro's greatness, the world number 1 ranking, clijsters basically says she doesn't care about and knows serena doesn't either.

·
Registered
33,663 Posts
translation - me and serena are better players and play to win slams, we aint killing ourselves week in week out to be number 1, it aint worth the hassle.

it must be annoying for caro fans that the thing they use to confirm caro's greatness, the world number 1 ranking, clijsters basically says she doesn't care about and knows serena doesn't either.
You find it hard to grasp a world where people don't feel compelled to smear shit over everything that doesn't meet their loftiest expectations. Kim says Caro deserves to be number 1, and explains why that status is worthy of respect.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
She's correct.

Being The Number One player doesn't correlate into being the better player. It's an assumption however, and an indication.

But debatable. Much like how it's been debated the last year or so.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
You find it hard to grasp a world where people don't feel compelled to smear shit over everything that doesn't meet their loftiest expectations. Kim says Caro deserves to be number 1, and explains why that status is worthy of respect.
But she didn't have to mention that she has a losing record against her and Serena.
She basically said, #1 is about year long consistency not being the best, because Serena and I are way better than her, but don't play full schedules.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Lol, I personally see Kim giving a little dis her

·
Registered
33,663 Posts
But she didn't have to mention that she has a losing record against her and Serena.
She basically said, #1 is about year long consistency not being the best, because Serena and I are way better than her, but don't play full schedules.
Yes she did, after all she's not a liar. But keeping fit and in form for a whole year and playing a full calendar is something that Kim in any case knows is not easy to do. She respects that.

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
Yes she did, after all she's not a liar. But keeping fit and in form for a whole year and playing a full calendar is something that Kim in any case knows is not easy to do. She respects that.
This did not apply to Caro's 2011, which is why she will lose the #1 at the end of this tournament.

·
Registered
32,005 Posts
This is exactly right. As soon as people let go of the expectation that being number 1 should mean that you're the best player in the world (there is no ranking system that would guaantee that that will always be true) there isn't any problem any more.
Of course there is a problem. The fans of that player insisting she is.:help:

·
Registered
33,663 Posts
This did not apply to Caro's 2011, which is why she will lose the #1 at the end of this tournament.
:lol: true enough!

Of course there is a problem. The fans of that player insisting she is.:help:
:lol: also true in some cases, but that's really just a problem with those fans, not with the ranking system, or Caro, or Kim

·
Registered
47,534 Posts
Exactly...and as long as the fans of the no.1 player don't link no.1 rank with being the best player, then there won't be any problem either. :lol:

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
a month ago you were using Kim's grass MMs to prove that she was better on grass than Hingis who had a Wimbledon title :lol:

sit down :lol:
what, we were comparing kim's and hingis's records on grass, which included titles won, top 10 players beat on the surface, deep runs at wimbledon. i was merely pointing out hingis wasn't that great on grass (though neither is kim) that hingis just got a dream draw to a wimbledon title.

you sit the fuck down and stay on topic or jack off.

edit - i see you deleted your comment or got it deleted, wise move :wavey:

·
Banned
10,175 Posts
what, we were comparing kim's and hingis's records on grass, which included titles won, top 10 players beat on the surface, deep runs at wimbledon. i was merely pointing out hingis wasn't that great on grass (though neither is kim) that hingis just got a dream draw to a wimbledon title.

you sit the fuck down and stay on topic or jack off.

edit - i see you deleted your comment or got it deleted, wise move :wavey:
chill out dude :lol:

1 - 20 of 115 Posts