Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
That would have been amazing! Two of the only players to be singles AND doubles #1 players, on the same team? Hope we get to see them partner up when tennis returns.

Just did a quick search, they played against each other in doubles 3 times, with Venus partnering Serena to beat Clijsters at the US Open in 2000 (with Laurence Courtois), the Australian Open in 2003 (with Sugiyama), and Clijsters partnering Olivier Rochus to beat Venus and Mark Knowles at Wimbledon 2005.

·
Art & Futures
20,402 Posts
What a fun pairing this would be, even if they were to be terrible, this would draw in crowds. They have somewhat contrasting styles for watching (one leaps around the court and the other does gymnastics on the court, one is more dramatic, one has a more dominating return, one has a more explosive serve), but also many similar strengths and weaknesses (more reliable backhand, speed, reach, aggressive baseliners that are willing to come to net with sometimes erratic but explosive forehand and double fault prone)

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
It is just occurring to me how remarkable the stretch from 1998-2006 was, with virtually all the top singles players (Serena, Venus, Hingis, Davenport, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Henin, and Capriati) more than capable at net, with 5 of them #1 doubles players, and another a doubles slam finalist (Mauresmo).

Sigh. Lost era.

·
Registered
880 Posts
It is just occurring to me how remarkable the stretch from 1998-2006 was, with virtually all the top singles players (Serena, Venus, Hingis, Davenport, Clijsters, Mauresmo, Henin, and Capriati) more than capable at net, with 5 of them #1 doubles players, and another a doubles slam finalist (Mauresmo).

Sigh. Lost era.
... even though Serena and Venus (Serenus(?) Verena(?)) did not reach no. 1 in doubles in 2010 iirc. Still amazing. End of 90s and beginning of 00s is my fave era too.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
... even though Serena and Venus (Serenus(?) Verena(?)) did not reach no. 1 in doubles in 2010 iirc. Still amazing. End of 90s and beginning of 00s is my fave era too.
Correct. They typically didn't play enough events in those early years to hit #1 without winning everything (for example, in 1999 they played 8 events, 'only' winning the French and US Opens and the Hanover event, and skipping Wimbledon doubles).

In 2009-2010, they played even less (6 events in 2009, 4 events in 2010) but they won virtually everything, including 5 slams out of 7 played, and 4 in a row at one point, plus Madrid and Stanford. It took winning the 2010 French Open, though, to reach #1, meaning they didn't actually reach #1 in doubles until they held all four slam titles simultaneously.

Amazingly, they only qualified for the YEC on three occasions: 1999 (skipped, Serena was injured), 2009 (lost in the SF), and 2010 (skipped, both were injured). 14 time grand slam doubles champions, and only played the tour championships once! I mean, Barty has won just 1 grand slam doubles crown and she's already played the YEC more times than Venus and Serena. Astounding.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm quite happily surprised by this news. Even though there is respect between them, I've never seen any signs of a friendship of sorts.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
They would be such a joy to watch and attract large crowds in their own right.

Segue into AO 2020:
I was at Venus' opening mixed doubles match at AO this year - it was against Saisai and some other guy. Even though it was on an outside court (one of the bigger ones) and scheduled later in the day, the stands were almost packed. Just listening to the murmurs in the crowd it's clear we were all there for Venus. The players were a bit late to court but we all waited patiently. I spotted Oracene several aisles below me.

The most memorable moment was when Venus' partner hit Saisai's partner who ended up lying on the court in pain (the rally won them the game). Venus' partner crossed the net to check on him while Venus nonchalantly stayed by the net on her side and looked over in semi-disinterest. When it was confirmed he was okay, she did this low key diva walk back to her chair with her right elbow bent upwards and her hand semi-limp (I don't know how else to describe it). I was in stitches. I was alone and must've looked like a lunatic. Anyway, I wish I captured it on video but here are some crap quality photos instead:
20200125_184707.jpg 20200125_190950.jpg

Now we just need to convince Serena and Justine to team up 🤭

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
I think they are actually pretty good friends and talk a fair bit. In her live with Azarenka she implied the three of them were hanging out or practising together / nearby before Indian Wells got cancelled.

Also this gives me a chance to post my all-time favourite WTA photo:

I don't know why but these pictures are just... 😂 😂 😂 Does anybody know if they are actually candid? Even funnier if they are. Every photo from the event that day looks like some bizarre, staged diorama. And then you have possessed Serena too lol.

More here:

Anyway, hopefully when tennis comes back they'll get an opportunity to play dubs together. I think they could make a strong team.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts

I don't know why but these pictures are just... 😂 😂 😂 Does anybody know if they are actually candid? Even funnier if they are. Every photo from the event that day looks like some bizarre, staged diorama. And then you have possessed Serena too lol.

Anyway, hopefully when tennis comes back they'll get an opportunity to play dubs together. I think they could make a strong team.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh wow. Those pictures are....wow.

1st, who would've thought sweet Kim would have RBF???

2nd, Serena's hair in this is not the one. Wow.

3rd, Venus is perfection as always.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Correct. They typically didn't play enough events in those early years to hit #1 without winning everything (for example, in 1999 they played 8 events, 'only' winning the French and US Opens and the Hanover event, and skipping Wimbledon doubles).
Looking back, the 1999 doubles season was chock-full of drama.

Kournikova and Hingis won the Australian Open, Indian Wells, and Rome, reached the final of the French Open, and won Eastbourne.

In the middle of all that, Hingis also had some very good results with Novotna (won Miami, reached the Tokyo final), and Kournikova had some pretty good results, too (semis of Oklahoma with de Swaardt [a name I haven't heard in forever], semis of Miami with Likhovtseva, quarters of Charleston with Coetzer).

Then, they PULLED OUT of Wimbledon (that's the year Dokic stunned Hingis in the singles 1st round, so I'm guessing that's what was up? Poor Anna....she ended up making the mixed final, so clearly she wasn't the one with a problem that tournament, and it does make the YE results a bit sweeter....)

After that debacle, Kournikova partnered with Likhovtseva, reaching the final at Stanford, but then got injured, and didn't play at all for a bit. Hingis didn't play doubles at the US Open (although she reached the final of singles), and so exiting the US Open, Lindsay Davenport became the #1 doubles player, just ahead of Hingis.

That fall, Kournikova returned to singles, but doesn't play doubles (....yet), and Hingis focuses on singles, but plays one tournament of doubles, partnering Lindsay Davenport. In Filderstadt. Which is interesting because she had just reached the singles semis at the Grand Slam cup the week prior, so she wasn't hurting for match play. My theory? She was, at this point, ranked just a little ahead of Kournikova, and had more doubles points to defend before year's end than Kournikova. Fildserstadt seemed like a good place to do so, and she locked down the #1 doubles player (and singles player perhaps?) to partner.

But then! Davenport gets injured and pulls out before their 2nd match. Kournikova and Hingis rejoin to play the YEC, because they qualified as a team rather than individually. They win the whole thing. By doing so, both of them vault past Davenport in the doubles ranking, but Kournikova ends the year as #1 because, by Davenport pulling out with Hingis in the QFs at Filderstadt, Kournikova's Stanford final with Likhovtseva is the difference maker in the rankings.

In short, had Hingis played the US Open doubles and won a round or two (seems likely, she's one the best doubles players of all time), or had Davenport not pulled out injured and she and Hingis had won just ONE MORE MATCH in Filderstadt, Hingis would have been the year end #1.

But because of all that, Kournikova ends the year #1, just one-round-at-a-Tier-II's worth of points ahead of the player (Hingis) who pulled the team out of Wimbledon doubles at the very last moment. God, the drama back then.

So the YE #1 and #2 only played two slams, winning one and reaching the final of the other, while the team that won two majors and reached the semfinal of a third finish tied for #10.

Quarantine sucks, but this little skip down memory lane was fun. Time for tequila.

·
Premium Member
20,316 Posts
I think they are actually pretty good friends and talk a fair bit. In her live with Azarenka she implied the three of them were hanging out or practising together / nearby before Indian Wells got cancelled.

When I saw this thread I was hoping someone would post these pics :ROFLMAO:.

Something for sure went down between the two of them all those years ago and I have no idea what. Serena and Kim seemed fine at that time too so whatever it was specifically Venus and Kim related. I suppose it was just the rivalry back then. And tennis really pushes feuds especially for the women.

What I love is that in most cases these rivalries turn into nice friendships when the players get older. Which I think has happened here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

More here:

No, they are fine. Back in December 2012, Venus came all the way to Antwerp to play an exhibition match against Clijsters in singles (back then, this was Kim's final singles match) and afterwards she played a doubles match teaming up with Flipkens against Kim and Mauresmo.

And in Monterrey, they practiced together. Here is a picture:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts